Ummm, I did a boo-boo, I need help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, soooo, I realized that my filter on my a/c was pretty darn dirty, sooo, I was using a screwdriver to take off the cover to clean the filter and I dropped the screw driver "just right"! It put a 1/8 inch slit in the fiberglass that holds the sink, right at the edge before, crap I need to take a pic, but it isn't very big at all, just a nic but it went through the fiberglass. Right in front of the sink. So, my question is, how do I fix it? I have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE regarding this, so step by step would be helpful. I feel like a total dope and I have damaged my precious baby! Taking a deep breath and hoping you all will help! I almost can't stand to look at it! I feel soooo stupid and really damn dumb! Please, anyone and everyone! Please!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You can go to any auto parts store and buy a small fiberglass repair kit.. it will come with everything you need (Except paint and sandpaper) and follow the simple instructions. It has the "goo", cloth and instructions. Basically.. mic chemicals, saturate the cloth, cover the hole, feather, sand and paint.

You may want to find a cup you don't like to mix it in.. don't use foam or paper ones. Plastic can melt and contaminate too.

It does not require a ton of skill or knowledge, just patience and care.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #4

oh how I want to see this video, but my laptop won't do video!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
You can go to any auto parts store and buy a small fiberglass repair kit.. it will come with everything you need (Except paint and sandpaper) and follow the simple instructions. It has the "goo", cloth and instructions. Basically.. mic chemicals, saturate the cloth, cover the hole, feather, sand and paint.

You may want to find a cup you don't like to mix it in.. don't use foam or paper ones. Plastic can melt and contaminate too.

It does not require a ton of skill or knowledge, just patience and care.
Okay, but, do I need sand paper (what grain) and paint (what kind), I mean, I really KNOW NOTHING about this! Since it is right in front of the sink, I am worried about minor water damage aka mold. I am going to cover it with some sort of tape for now, but I really know nothing about this. I want to learn, will the "kit" give me more explicit directions?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #6

On my Scamp, is the sink/stove hold fiberglass, or is it plastic? When I knock on it, it sounds way different than the fiberglass mold (refrigerater/micro hold) part of the trailer?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
It put a 1/8 inch slit in the fiberglass that holds the sink, right at the edge before, crap I need to take a pic, but it isn't very big at all, just a nic but it went through the fiberglass. Right in front of the sink. So, my question is, how do I fix it?
Monica,

We have all been there. Doesn't make it feel any better, though... A friend once said that the mark of a good craftsman is knowing how to cover his/her mistakes.

If it is a small nick you probably won't have to use glass cloth. West Marine makes a white fiberglass putty for filling small areas. Or, an automotive Bondo/filler would work - these are dark colored and require much sanding, priming and painting (but not as much as if you use glass cloth).

If you want to have it done by a pro take it to a fiberglass shop - boat builder, surf board maker, check your phonebook. Shouldn't cost much more than a minor body part...

Good luck

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
West Marine makes a white fiberglass putty for filling small areas. Or, an automotive Bondo/filler would work - these are dark colored and require much sanding, priming and painting (but not as much as if you use glass cloth).
I would go with a small tube of Putty or Bondo for the small area of damage you convey. Much, MUCH easier for a novice to deal with. This is how I filled in the screw holes from when the previous owner of my Fiber Stream slapped up extra tail lights on the back when he couldn't make the originals work.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Monica,

Are you talking about the cabinet?? They don't use plastic other maybe the new sink they are putting in.

I bought this Gel Coat Scratch Patch - White and used it for a knick in my counter. It worked pretty good. It comes out of the tube thin so I had to put several coats on. I have no clue where I bought it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7652.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	20144

It's made by Fiberglass Evercoat out of Cincinnati, OH
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Monica,

Ouch... I hate breaking stuff when Im supposed to be fixing it For future, you might want a project blanket that you drape over the nearby surfaces. Even a beach towel helps, and then you can also just gather it up and shake out any detritus when you've finished.

I believe your sink surround should be fiberglass with a gelcoat top layer (the shiny white stuff on top). Now, do you have a hole clear through the surround? Or just through the white gelcoat? Either way, I'd make the repair with gelcoat on top. That way you don't paint, but simply buff the new gelcoat to match the old. Nothing wrong with paint, but you probably dont need to go to paint yet (until its time to paint the whole thing, sometime in the future). White the gelcoat lasts, you might as well repair it with new gelcoat. The real "artists" with it can make a patch you would never be able to find.

If the hole is really large and deep, you may need to reinforce below; I'm picturing more of a deep scratch.

I'm going to give you a link to a step by step, but basically, you prep the area, then you get a gelcoat color match, then you apply the gelcoat (slightly proud) and let it cure, then you sand it flat, with rising grades of sandpaper till its glossy and matches everything around it. Since you'll be into it, you may want to look around to see if there are any other chips you can fix simultaneously.

I would tape plastic around the area to protect nearby surfaces. Think like surgery where only the one area is exposed.

As far as supplies go, you can buy them from someplace like West Marine, or another marine store (online or in person), or perhaps at a body shop. I'm more familiar with the marine stores. Evercoat does have the quick Scratch Patch product that Joy showed. That works if the chip is not too large, and if their white happens to match your white. Then you dojnt need to bother with the mixing, color matching, etc.

If you need to do some color matching, and/or mix up your own product, then there are Evercoat brand kits that come with little bottles of color and with the gelcoat in two parts, base and catalyst. This comes in handy as you can mix up a prospective color and dab it on your counter to see how the color matches, then wipe it right off again (it wont ever harden due to no catalyst. When you've got the color right, you make up a batch with catalyst, and away you go.

Of course if you plan large scale Tool Tossing™ parties, you'll want to get full cans and tubes of the resin and colors, as they are more cost effective.

Along with the colors and resin, you'll want some fine grades of wet/dry sandpaper, say 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500. These are what you'll "buff" your repair with when you've finished. You'll also want a can of acetone, for cleaning prior to the patch, a box of disposable nitrile gloves, some eye protection, and a good, cartridge respirator would be nice too (although you could get away without the respirator if you have a LOT of ventilation, it will come in handy for other tasks). I like to keep a Tyvek suit on hand as well. They are thin and fold down to nothing and you wear them like big, marshmallowey coveralls. I like the ones with a hood. Either get a footie Tyvek, some show covers, or wear old shoes. It may sound like a lot, if you have to buy it all now, but much of it is the basis for a good project/repairs outfit. I put two or three gloves on each hand so that i can just peel them off when I need a clean one, without wrestling with putting new ones on. Note that the good cartridge respirators come in sizes for the face part. I have a pretty normal sized female head, and I wear Small. 3M and Survivair are good brands. Make sure to get the cartridges you need, typically dust and organic vapors (they clip on over each other, or you can get separate dust ones).

Here is a link to West Marine's website. They carry the Evercoat and MAS brand of scratch patch and kits. You may be able to find a nearby store and walk in and see them yourself, if you want to.

www.westmarine.com

And here is a link to a how-to on gelcoat patching. Note that this same skill will serve you for fixing dings and whatnot on the outside of the camper, as long as it's the original gelcoat and has not been painted.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm

A couple of notes: Don recommends styrene for cleaning the wound prior to surgery where I mentioned acetone (what Ive used), and I also notice that he recommends a coarser range of paper. Since wet/dry is cheap, and since its helpful to have a supply on hand, I might combine our recommendations a bit. I always start with a paper thats too fine, then figure out how coarse I can go, and then work my way back to fine.

I always like to check a few sources, since they sometimes make something more clear or give me an additional tip, so here is another instructional page:

http://www.fibreglass.com/techgel.htm

And another:

http://www.valsparcomposites.com/repair/gc...crepairlist.jsp

There are some gelcoat repair youtube videos, but I notice you cant play them. And besides, you are probably bursting with information now

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #11

Quote:
There are some gelcoat repair youtube videos, but I notice you cant play them. And besides, you are probably bursting with information now

Raya
Oh, gosh Raya, you have really stepped up here! With all the details you have laid out and the other info from other posters, I am pretty confident. It does seem like a lot when you lay out all the stuff (protective gear and all) that I will need, but I don't want to be one of those that needs someone else to fix every little glitch, so I figure I will use all the tools you have and have suggested. I WANT and NEED to be a do-it-yourselfer, I will NOT be able to afford commercial fixes to my minor problems! I am amazed at what some of you women on here have done (are you the one that fixed your own toilet thingy, really tough project?), and up until now, you know how it is, mostly you have a guy around somewhere. Not while I am on the road though, not unless I pay them for a job I KNOW I can do.

I will be referring back to this and collecting my supplies, I am in Livingston, so I will have to "find" them here, but I will be referring back repeatedly during my first small fix-it, I hope you all will be with me on this...nervous. And Raya, thanks again for reading my need for help in my post...your step by step will prove true. To all others, I will read over them all, so I have all the facts! If we have missed anything, please post it so I am prepared, thanks again! I will be proud to post pics of my first "fix-it", no matter how "small" it seems...LOL!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
My favorite repair kit for smaller holes is Marine Tex putty. Extremely simple to use, and it's really like putty - no messy gooey stuff.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
If you have a hole that's very large I think I'd be inclined to use the Marine Tex Putty and then the Gel Coat Scratch Patch over it.

Yes, I'm one to fix the toilet thing whether a fella is around or not. Usually cheaper, faster and easy.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whatever you do, please don't use plain ole automotive bondo. It doesn't flex and soaks up water like a sponge and any "stuff" you put over it will eventually blister. It's only claim to fame is it's easy to work with and that's a good thing as you'll do the work over and over.

I'd be inclined too, to use the Marine Putty and work from under the counter up. The stuff squishes into cracks and although it can be sanded it forms a barrier that's like concrete. So use it judiciously. By going from the bottom up, you won't have the overwork blobbed on the top of the counter. You can use a plastic scrapper to scrap off any smooshed up and that should leave a pretty smooth even surface. Then apply some gel coat scatch patch or something similar.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #15

I'd like to understand better how deep the hole is, or is if is more of a chip than a hole. If it's a large hole, than yes, a gelcoat patch will not be enough. On the other hand, you don't want to fix it with something like Marine Tex until its flush, and then paint the gelcoat on, because you want some depth to the gelcoat. Indeed, for really small scratches we sometimes make them a bit deeper, just to give the gelcoat some "tooth."

Also note that if you use epoxy for the under-fix, you may nee dto be careful in order to assure a good bond with the (polyester) gelcoat. Read the prep instructions carefully. Contrary to popular opinion, you can put gelcoat over epoxy, but it is a bit more of a challenge, and you need to be sure there is no "blush" or etc. on the surface of the cured epoxy.

Hopefully you have a chip and not really a hole, and can just use the gelcoat, since this is your first repair. Remember not to try to make the gelcoat perfectly flush - you want it to stand bit proud so that you can "buff" it back to flat with the wet/dry paper.

Come on, can we see the owie? Please?

Raya
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #16

Trailer:
My tip concerns the last stages, when you're sanding down the repair to get a smooth, and then a gloss, surface.

Contrary to everything you may have done up till now, you need a hard sanding block - indeed a very small block of wood is the perfect 'pad' to wrap the wet and dry paper around. What you are trying to do is sand off any lumps on the repair, without sanding off any of the original gel coat - you can't really do that, but you're aiming to come close.

So your hard sanding pad wants to be not much bigger than the repair and you want to be able to hold it square to the surface, so deep sides on the pad/block help. Slow, gentle and steady is your friend. Even a tiny repair will need 10 minutes of sanding.

What you really, really don't want to do is fold a piece of sandpaper in thirds and then try to hold it in your fingers - that's a good way of changing the area that needs repair from 1/4" diameter to 4" diameter......

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #17

Okay, I am going to try and post the pics

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	20157

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	20156

If you all can't tell how big it is, I will take a further away shot, let me know. Hope this helps and I really appreciate all the help and advice. Monica
Old 05-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I got some gelcoat repair stuff in a tube from Boaters World that will fill small holes and look ok.
Just smoosh it in and maybe smooth it out with wax paper and finger. It dries hard.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #19

pjanits,

That sounds like it's "Scratch Patch" or a similar product, which will work great if the color happens to match (which it may very well do). If it doesn't match, and Monica wants to mix up a custom color, then she'll want the kit with th pigments, and with the filler/catalyst in separate packets.

Monica,

I would call that a "chip," and it looks to me like it is a perfect candidate for a gelcoat repair, with no extra filler needed. Because it is near/on a corner, you won't really be able to make use of a flat anding block, but will have to be careful to keep the corner profile right, and not to sand through the gelcoat next to the patch. Corners sand very easily (sometimes too easily!)

Raya
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 1970 Boler
bondo does not soak up water like a sponge. You are thinking of house hold filler to fix drywall....its not the same as it uses a hardner.

I think everyone is making too much of this. Its a small hole from a screw driver if I am, reading this right. Some regular auto body filler should be fine (read bondo), as its a small little hole your filling....why cover the hole area with fibreglass just for a little hole/scrape?

If you get the right stuff your fine with flexing. they have been using filler on Corvettes (fiberglass shells) for years.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote