Old 09-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Question Unable to light refrigerator gas flame

On our 2008 Scamp 13.

Gas is on and stove burners light up. turn to high and press, piezo
will spark, but flame does not persist.

Note that this is the first time I've tried to start refrigerator flame.

I can see the piezo spark in the burner view port, and hear a whomp
when the spark occurs, but I do not see a flame persist.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Flame sensor

Are you holding the gas button in for 30 seconds after you see a flame ?
The thermocouple has to sense flame (heat up) in order to keep the gas valve electrically open .
If you let go of the button too soon the flame will go out

Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Are you holding the gas button in for 30 seconds after you see a flame ?
The thermocouple has to sense flame (heat up) in order to keep the gas valve electrically open .
If you let go of the button too soon the flame will go out
Yes, but I never see any flame, only the piezo spark. It's possible
the flame is burning, but I can not see a flame.

I'll keep trying.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
Yes, but I never see any flame, only the piezo spark. It's possible
the flame is burning, but I can not see a flame.

I'll keep trying.
Got it lit. Used a long nozzle lighter while holding down the shutoff override.
Removed the lighter after awhile and could spot the flame.

I'm hoping this is easier next time.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I quit using the piezo electric lighter a long time ago. The problem is that the Whomp, is the accumulated gas going off but it blows out any flame at the burner. If read the instructions it say while holding the control knob in rapidly press the piezo until the flame is going then continue to hold the knob down for 30 to 60 seconds.

With the butane lighter the lighter flame is constant so once the whomp is heard the lighter continues to provide flame to light the gas at the burner. Again hold the control know down for 30 to 60 seconds. Should be all good.

PS. The flame can be hard to spot, so to make sure it burning, I blow out the flame on lighter stick it back in the while hold the trigger. The lighter should ignite proving that there's flame at burner.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
I can see the piezo spark in the burner view port, and hear a whomp
when the spark occurs, but I do not see a flame persist.
Seeing that flame in there in the daytime is difficult at best. What I do is put the nose the butane lighter into the port and hold the safety button on so that the gas is on but it is not lit, i.e. don't pull the trigger. If it lights you've got flame in there. I do this in the daytime whether I used the butane light or went with the piezo whomp.

Good word 'whomp' but the spell checker doesn't know it.

Byron, we could start a club.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
I waited 15 seconds the first time I tried to light my fridge, said 'this is for the birds' and then thought about what to do.

The problem was obviously that the gas in the line going to the burner wasn't high enough propane concentration to burn. It needed to be purged.

But the burner is tiny. Crouching and holding the override button in gets really old. What to do?

Answer: go inside the camper, and light the cooktop. That line also needed to be purged (indicating my theory was right) and was on the same side of the camper behind the fridge, so burning it would also purge the fridge feed line up to the split of the two. The cooktop uses a lot more fuel, so will purge the line a lot faster. Once I got steady flame out of both burners I shut off the cooktop and went back to the fridge.

At that point, it was just another 20 sec or so of holding the red button in before it would sustain a flame.

I've had to do that again a couple of times in the last few months - most notably after running a propane tank out and switching over to the other.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
fridge gas not working

I am having the same problem with my dual power fridge. This forum is amazing. So helpful. I went away for 3 days and the fridge would not work when the shore power was not connected...so no cool for driving. Thank-you all. Barb
Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
RB,

It is not unusual to have to purge the gas line after a new fuel tank is installed, but you should not have to purge the gas lines after a few days of the gas tank valve closed. If you do, it may indicate that there is a slow leak in the gas fittings and the gas is leaking out after the tank is shut off. You can check the fittings with either some soap and water solution, or get the red bottle of gas check.

Barb,

When you say, “frig would not work when the shore power was not connected”, did you mean that it does not work while driving, or that it also does not work when parked at a primitive campsite? The flame should stay lit when parked at a campsite, but it usually doesn’t when driving as the air flow through the panels blows the flame out, as on my “83 model. That is not a problem with the burner, just that it can’t fully shelter the flame while driving.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #10

Ontario
Fridge not working in propane mode

I have a 2 way fridge that is electric priority. It works fine on shore power (when plugged in obviously). But during my last trip this week the propane mode did not work while I was driving along. When I was at the campsite the propane stove and furnace worked. I tried to change the mode to propane on the fridge as it went automatically to electric when I was plugged in. I checked the manual and pressed the combination of buttons that I understood to push but the fridge still will not work on propane. It has worked every other time that I have used it. I got the impression from the other posts that I should look for a pilot to light, that somehow it may have gone out.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
RB,

It is not unusual to have to purge the gas line after a new fuel tank is installed, but you should not have to purge the gas lines after a few days of the gas tank valve closed. If you do, it may indicate that there is a slow leak in the gas fittings and the gas is leaking out after the tank is shut off. You can check the fittings with either some soap and water solution, or get the red bottle of gas check.

Barb,

When you say, “frig would not work when the shore power was not connected”, did you mean that it does not work while driving, or that it also does not work when parked at a primitive campsite? The flame should stay lit when parked at a campsite, but it usually doesn’t when driving as the air flow through the panels blows the flame out, as on my “83 model. That is not a problem with the burner, just that it can’t fully shelter the flame while driving.
It is not a new tank, I still have my Motor Home (looking for a Big Foot)and it is the big tank connected under the chassis. I have not had to light any pilot lights in the year that I have had the rig. Fridge worked fine when driving along on propane before and I have dry camped at Walmarts and had fridge power as well. Sounds like it is a good idea to check for leaks like you do with the tank on the house BBQ? I have had almost no experience with propane appliances before. I have had to lite the pilot on a house water heater before(I was worried that I would blow up the house, but didn't lol) I have asked a male friend to look at it for me. Thank-you. Barb
Old 09-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #12

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
RB,

Not a bad idea, but I don't expect to find anything:
  1. The first time, it hadn't been lit in over a year
  2. the second time was when one tank ran all the way out and I switched to the other
  3. The third time was after I'd removed the fridge for a burner cleaning and more insulation. It would have been odd if there hadn't been a lot of air in the line after that.
Most recently when I changed over from electric to gas when boondocking last weekend it was no issue at all. I think the lines are fine unless I mess with them.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #13

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've had my three way fridge not work on propane twice. Both times the culprit was a spider trying to make a nest in the burner. I now keep the fridge on all the time, and spray spider spray in the burner area every month.
It's not a problem when camping since never have electricity, I must use propane so there's no spider problem then.

When traveling the fridge is OFF.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

Ontario
RV propane fridge

Thank- you all for your help. Barb

Tags
light, refrigerator