uncured gelcoat inside closet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #15

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Are you and the manufacturer sure that it is gelcoat? The reason that I ask is that (on boats and maybe trailers) there is a female mold that has the gelcoat applied to it. Then the fiberglass and resin over that, and finally paint on the inside surface.
Alan I really don't know what it is but when I called Scamp I referred to it as gelcoat and they didn't correct me. I suppose if it were an epoxy paint it could also have problems curing if mixed improperly. The inside of all the other cabinets have a similar coating and they have no problem but they may have been sprayed with a different batch of paint.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #16

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Why don't you tell Scamp that you want to take it to a local boat shop for painting and ask them to pick up the tab.
Bob that's a good suggestion, unfortunately over the years I have experienced several bad fixes and wished I had left well enough alone. This isn't a real serious problem yet but has the potential to be a real mess if someone applies an incompatible coating on whatever is currently there. Its probably an easy paint fix but I'm not feeling lucky.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
That's exactly why I suggested a boat shop. There are few companies around that will have more experience in dealing with fiberglass surfaces that a boat shop.
And again, I'd bet that Scamp would pick up that tab.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were mine I would have Scamp send me enough rat fur to line the closet and then get some 3m super 90 adhesive spray. Then trim the rat fur in manageable pieces trimmed to fit inside the closet. Spray the adhesive on the fiberglass and and the back of the rat fur. Make sure you mask for over spray. Let the adhesive get tacky and stick it in place. While it may not solve the problem it should be a workable solution. It will even look better in the long run.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Are you and the manufacturer sure that it is gelcoat? The reason that I ask is that (on boats and maybe trailers) there is a female mold that has the gelcoat applied to it. Then the fiberglass and resin over that, and finally paint on the inside surface.
Ditto! My first reaction!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I had to threaten Scamp to get them to fix a problem with our 5r and then when he agreed to do it, he then only paid a portion of the fix because he said my certified welder charged to much.

I suggest you send a letter to the Good Sam Club and ask them for assistance. They help owners with problems and normally resolve the issues.
Was that you in "06??!!
If the welder had contacted Scamp by phone before the work was done, they could have agreed on a price, defined the scope of work and paid them directly....
You hired a welder at a grocery store?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #21

Kentucky
At no cost to me the folks at Scamp are shipping enough rat fur to cover the inside of the closet. They are not allowed to ship the adhesive but confirmed they use the 3M spray product Steve mentioned. I figure I will cut and dry fit 3 pieces, then mask the wall that is already covered with rat fur. With several fans blowing fresh air I will spray both contact surfaces and beginning at the top smooth the fabric into place. Sounds easy enough. Any tips from those who have done this would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #22

Trailer:
Quote:
The norm for cosmetically finishing the reverse side of a fiberglass molding is to apply 'flowcoat' (sometimes called 'topcoat'), which is regular gelcoat resin with about 2% wax in styrene added to it - the wax comes to the surface of the resin and provides the airtight barrier the enables the gelcoat resin to fully cure.

Paint is for more aesthetically-demanding applications, as flowcoat will never give a perfectly smooth glossy finish - though one coat of flow coat is about as thick as ten coats of paint, so it's a lot tougher.

Nowadays I would be surprised if someone like Scamp, who must get through a lot of resin, would bother making flowcoat by adding wax to gelcoat resin - I would expect them to buy it ready-mixed.