under seat storage/Rock guard hinge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I am beginning to load up the trailer with essential gear and was planning on storing it under the seats. (sleeping bags, blankets etc.) However, i am wondering how clean it stays under there, and if it will get all covered with road dust or splashes. The first thing i did to my trailer was clean under there, and it was filthy, but i am wondering if that was 5-30 years woth of dirt or just a season. How dirty does it get down there? If it's bad, what do the rest of you do? Plastic bags? Anything fancy? Thanks. Also, i noticed one of the hinges is missing on the rock guard, the others are rusted badly. Does anyone know where to get replacements or something like it? Thanks again
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have a newer trailer and have not found dust/dirt to be too much of a problem. We avoid dirt roads though.

Ziploc Big Bags might be something to consider. I like them because they are clear and I can see what is inside. The ones I have are XL, 4 bags per box, 2'x1.7' (60cm x 51cm).

You could also stuff your things in an old pillow case. Might keep some of the dust off.

On second thought those big bags might not work so well for you. We don't have a water tank so I have a very large storage compartment. I would go with the old pillow case because it would scrunch up so much better than plastic.

I put some paper towel stuff in the storage and checked after a rain to see if the paper had any water marks. We seem to be dry. Maybe you want to do a test with plastic and some paper in a rainy drive to see if you have leaks. Pillow case wouldn't keep stuff dry.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Cyndi. Our Trillium has several small sized holes (drilled) in the storage areas front and aft. These holes, I'm assuming, are to help drain any water/moisture which may accumulate therein. These holes also do (unfortunately) allow a certain amount of dust to enter. If you are concerned about it, wrap the items you are concerned about in plastic garbage bags. ...While on that note, I 'try' not to load to much of the heavy stuff up front, preferring to have a little tongue weight. There IS a perfect balance weight (front to back ratio) but I know NOT what it is. Whats wrong with just 'stowing' stuff up on the bed (we leave our rear bed down 24/7) till you get to where you are going and then you can easily hide stuff wherever you can find place(s)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really dislike having to pick up cushions and then pull up cupboard board to get into a hidey hole. I don't use any of the dinette underseat storage for anything except hotwater heater, fresh water tank, inverter, and electric stuff. I'm with Doug. Pile it on the bed, when you don't want to use it (like next day) put in tug.

Scamp sells the gravel guard hardware, I think it's either the same or very similar to what Boler used.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
We have a newer trailer and have not found dust/dirt to be too much of a problem. We avoid dirt roads though.

Ziploc Big Bags might be something to consider. I like them because they are clear and I can see what is inside. The ones I have are XL, 4 bags per box, 2'x1.7' (60cm x 51cm).

You could also stuff your things in an old pillow case. Might keep some of the dust off.

On second thought those big bags might not work so well for you. We don't have a water tank so I have a very large storage compartment. I would go with the old pillow case because it would scrunch up so much better than plastic.

I put some paper towel stuff in the storage and checked after a rain to see if the paper had any water marks. We seem to be dry. Maybe you want to do a test with plastic and some paper in a rainy drive to see if you have leaks. Pillow case wouldn't keep stuff dry.

Nancy
Good idea!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
I really dislike having to pick up cushions and then pull up cupboard board to get into a hidey hole. I don't use any of the dinette underseat storage for anything except hotwater heater, fresh water tank, inverter, and electric stuff. I'm with Doug. Pile it on the bed, when you don't want to use it (like next day) put in tug.

Scamp sells the gravel guard hardware, I think it's either the same or very similar to what Boler used.
Thanks a lot. I will order some from them. I have yet to find out if i have a fresh water tank, and am still trying to figure out where the grey water tank goes, and where to get one.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
fresh water tanks can be found in at least 3 locations I know of. In the lower part of the closet, in the storage area in the rear, could be on either side.

The grey water tank is almost always a portable (sometimes wheeled) contrivance kept outside (for the most part) and connected to the kitchen sink drain hose connection from the outside. Disconnect and wheel to a nearby sanidump when approaching the full mark.
To buy a used one, check out the Buy n Sell. New ones can be bought at almost any r/v dealer and comes in a couple diffrent sizes, depending on how often you'd like to dump it. MANY people just connect a hose to the drain outlet and let the waste water run into a bucket.. This practice is NOT sanitary and in some places is downright ILLEGAL!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks a lot. I will order some from them. I have yet to find out if i have a fresh water tank, and am still trying to figure out where the grey water tank goes, and where to get one.
The gray water tank in my Scamp (I realize you have a Boler) is under the floor directly beneath the dinette (behind the axle). I don't have a bathroom sink, so only the kitchen sink is hooked up to it. There is a separate gate/valve for the blackwater tank.

There again, the freshwater tank is under the rear dinette bench on the same side as the sink. And both the freshwater city fill and manual fill site are on that same side of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The gray water tank in my Scamp (I realize you have a Boler) is under the floor directly beneath the dinette (behind the axle).
The Scamp parts list contains the tank and a tank + fittings, but it does not provide any specs on the grey water tank. Could you please provide me some details on the gray water tank? E.g. capacity, dimensions, pictures? I'd like to see how I can fit it into my Boler setup.

I'd appreciate it if others could do the same for other trailer types as well.

Thanks,
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote