Underbelly of RV full of Blue water - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
There have been a number of folks that have ended up on this site that have been helped out with their SOB TT's. Most have thanked those that took the time to do so. .
Yup after all a number of folks here have owned SOB at one time or another and some still do

If my current SOB was spewing out blue water from the under belly I would be in full out panic mode.

I do though fully understand the initial responses and the reasons behind them - yes there are many better places than here for someone to obtain advise on the type of trailer the OP has.

Given the seriousness of the situation Jack L. has given the best advise in post #8. Not only has he given a pretty good suggestion as to what the cause of the problem may be, the suggestion they contact their insurance company is spot on. Whether or not they have the insurance coverage for this type of problem is a whole other matter though

From the damage described the fix its not going to be a cheap &/or fast. A call to the trailer manufacturer and the insurance company ASP is in order if the OP has not already done so. Either one or both will probable assist in helping to get the situation under control and the trailer where it needs to be in order for it to be fixed to prevent further damage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Observation:
Wow, this thread has evolved fast - not even twelve hours. The OP was desperate and this must have been the first RV forum she stumbled upon. She also expected instant, magical answers and explanations, which do not come in minutes. She came at 9:06 and left in a huff at 9:59. That's pretty quick.

My take:
The first answers were quite reasonable, clearly saying the small FGRV's are of a different design, therefore our experience may not be applicable. I did not read anything disrespectful or rude, just the opposite. None of you who replied should be beating yourselves up, you were there instantly offering help, and nobody should be suggesting otherwise.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Hi Brenda,
I've been trailering for 40 plus years. The type of trailer doesn't matter. ...
Or does it? I had NO idea what the OP was talking about because her trailer is apparently so different from anything I have owned.. Mine have always been simple and basic. The reference to an "underbelly" meant nothing to me and I still don't know what it is. So it seems reasonable to suggest that a site solely dedicated to molded fiberglass trailers (which have no underbelly I assume, without knowing what that means) is not the best place to seek help. Kudos to those who were able to understand the problem and offer advice but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
My take:
The first answers were quite reasonable, clearly saying the small FGRV's are of a different design, therefore our experience may not be applicable. I did not read anything disrespectful or rude, just the opposite. None of you who replied should be beating yourselves up, you were there instantly offering help, and nobody should be suggesting otherwise.
Well said. I hope that Brenda sees all of this and understands that everyone was really just trying to offer what they reasonably believed to be good advice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
My take:
We need a LIKE button!

I didn't read anything rude into the responses either.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Or does it? I had NO idea what the OP was talking about because her trailer is apparently so different from anything I have owned.. Mine have always been simple and basic. The reference to an "underbelly" meant nothing to me and I still don't know what it is. So it seems reasonable to suggest that a site solely dedicated to molded fiberglass trailers (which have no underbelly I assume, without knowing what that means) is not the best place to seek help. Kudos to those who were able to understand the problem and offer advice but...

Well said. I hope that Brenda sees all of this and understands that everyone was really just trying to offer what they reasonably believed to be good advice.
The underside of many stick built trailers have a waterproof membrane to keep water out of the insulation and off the underside of the floor . The membrane as in this case can trap water / liquid between the trailer floor and the membrane when you have a plumbing leak.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
The reference to an "underbelly" meant nothing to me and I still don't know what it is.
Gordon many trailers also have sheeting covering the underside of the trailer - could be plastic, metal or fiberglass that complete covers the underside of the trailer so none of the tanks, plumping, axle etc are exposed/visible.

Some fibreglass trailers also have an underbelly - one I can think of is the Bigger - the underside of it is cover in fiberglass. There probable are other examples in the world of fibreglass.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00122-20090502-1511.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Gordon many trailers also have sheeting covering the underside of the trailer - could be plastic, metal or fiberglass that complete covers the underside of the trailer so none of the tanks, plumping, axle etc are exposed/visible. ...
Live and learn! So should I have an underbelly on my Scamp? Would it be a good user mod to do? Kinda sounds like a bad idea if it traps human waste or hides other defects, but what do I know...

Now that I think about it.. my Toyota van has an underbelly covering the area under the trunk. I had to trim it when I installed the hitch. Reportedly it exists to improve gas mileage. Perhaps it serves that purpose on a trailer also.

Oh well.. I think I have gone as far off topic as I dare.

(BTW, when I was seeking advice on the hitch installation, I posted on the Toyota Users forum.. it seemed the logical thing to do )
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:

Now that I think about it.. my Toyota van has an underbelly covering the area under the trunk. I had to trim it when I installed the hitch. Reportedly it exists to improve gas mileage.
I was under the impression on vehicles its actually a heat guard. Keeps your exhaust system from starting a fire should you park on long grass. Or at least that is what the Subaru dealer told me when I asked to have one removed that was damaged due to a rock climbing incident on a back road
Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Underbelly of RV full of Blue water

Thank you, Paul. As one of those "early responders," I have certainly been pondering my response throughout the day today. Life doesn't allow for do-overs, but if it did, I certainly would have been more empathetic in my response. I would have let her know that there are many here with broad RV experience and there would likely be some help coming, as the day has shown.

I apologize that I did not represent well the genuinely friendly and helpful community I have found here.

One thing I would not do is refrain from clarifying (as gently as I know how) the limited scope of this forum. It's no different than a Ford owner posting a question about their vehicle on a Chevy forum. If we accommodate everyone and everything we lose the distinctiveness that makes this site such an valuable resource for information about all-molded fiberglass towables.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I was under the impression on vehicles its actually a heat guard. Keeps your exhaust system from starting a fire should you park on long grass. Or at least that is what the Subaru dealer told me when I asked to have one removed that was damaged due to a rock climbing incident on a back road
One of the bullet points in this article is:
Install "belly pans," underbody panels that cover components and smooth airflow

And there is this comment in the Additional Methods of Drag Reduction section of this paper:
One method of preventing air from getting caught in mechanical devices under the car is to incorporate underside paneling

It probably does not make a huge difference on a trailer but it might be best for the OP to replace it after other repairs are done, for other reasons as well (There, I stayed on topic ) )
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think I'll ever apologize for trying to be helpful even if that help is just pointing to a more appropriate forum.

I just checked out IRV2.com and searched the membership. Just like here, it depends on how the profile is filled out, but quickly searching I found: 3882 Keystone Owners,
11 own the Carbon model.

It's doubtful I'd ever have a solution to a problem for someone with a trailer that has a 12' garage and triple slides. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #32

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
She had a problem . She didn't like the advice given.
For one thing, few of us have the type of sewer system she was asking advise on. She did need to seek another forum. And it sounded like they needed an immediate solution
Sadly she went off in a huff

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote