uneven tire wear - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: james
Trailer: casita
California
Question uneven tire wear

Just finished a 3300 mi trip and found that the curbside tire had worn much faster than the driver's side. The tire shop checked for loose bearings and found everything to be ok. The tires were purchased at the same time and balanced. The only thing I can figure is that the curbside is heavier due to kitchen equipment, fresh water, etc. Any ideas?
My trailer is a 17' 2002 Casita freedom deluxe with Dexter torsion axle.
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The axle might not be straight across the trailer, or the tongue could be bent, in either case causing the trailer to tow off-centre... but that's just speculation.

I think the uneven loading is a more likely situation, and I would check for that first, by taking the trailer to a truck scale and weighing each side separately.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere View Post
Just finished a 3300 mi trip and found that the curbside tire had worn much faster than the driver's side. The tire shop checked for loose bearings and found everything to be ok. The tires were purchased at the same time and balanced. The only thing I can figure is that the curbside is heavier due to kitchen equipment, fresh water, etc. Any ideas?
My trailer is a 17' 2002 Casita freedom deluxe with Dexter torsion axle.
Perhaps it has hit a curb or other obstacle which knocked that side out of alignment.Do you have a picture of the worn tire or a description of the wear?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Name: james
Trailer: casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Perhaps it has hit a curb or other obstacle which knocked that side out of alignment.Do you have a picture of the worn tire or a description of the wear?
Don't have a pic but I'll try to describe: there were some bald spots and then tread, bald spot and tread. Wear was predominantly on the outside of the tire. Very strange wear pattern. I should have snapped a picture before the tire was tossed.
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #5

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
My 2001 Spirit 16' is at the repair shop getting new bearings. My tires look great but we are going to check the actual age - do not want to head to Texas in summer with faulty tires. Never thought about the uneven loading from side to side, my kitchen & tank are all curbside, nothing much street side except battery - thanks for pointing this out. Newbie,
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hi James
Without seeing pictures it is difficult to diagnose but cupped wear is usually one of 3 causes:

1) worn parts or loose bearings - you mentioned that the shop checked the bearings so they are not the cause, and I would find it highly unlikely that the Dexter axle were worn on a 2002

2) tire out of balance - tires extremely out of balance will cause exactly the wear you are describing and this could be the cause.

3) Internal tire failure - a tire will often show very unusual wear patterns and cupping if the internal structure of the tire has failed or shifted.

I rather doubt that weight is an issue since there are many Casitas on the road and the problem you describe is unusual.

My recommendation would be to take your trailer to a shop where the axle alignment can be checked. The second thing I would do is definitely replace the tires, any wear on a trailer tire is an indication that a catastrophic failure could happen just down the road. Finally make sure the tires are balanced.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Here is a thread with pictures and good discussion. Turns out the culprit was the axle.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ear-58782.html

Was your tire wear like that shown?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Hi James
Without seeing pictures it is difficult to diagnose but cupped wear is usually one of 3 causes:
Cupping! Google is your friend!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote