Unhooked - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I like the pintle hook, but have no experience pulling with one.
Most of the big trailers I pulled at work had the pintle, I never noticed any difference with the tow/noise over a ball connector. There may have been a bit of slop as I started off but with 20-25K#s behind you it really wasn't something I worried about . If I was going to replace the coupler on my SD I'd go with the Bulldog coupler as there isn't any question if it's down or not. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 AM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Still remember looking through your fine telescope at Bullard's Beach. Hope to do that again one of these days.
heh, that was fun... its too bad it was so windy and what we call 'seeing' was awful (air turbulence causing shimmering/distortion)

Quote:
BTW, love the Burning Man rig. I went in 2000, but the size and difficulty of getting tickets has turned me off in recent years. I see a NV license plate on that truck. I guess your son lives in NV. Me too.
yeah, he's in Reno, getting his PhD in Geology specializing in Neotectonics (recent earth movement, like from quakes). He runs a burning man camp, "Sunrise Tavern" centered around his truck and its awesome all night party drives, and the camp serves free pancake and mimosa breakfasts to anyone who comes by in the morning... he has a MFK (military field kitchen) trailer refitted with propane grills and a 4-kegger tap fridge....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #43

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave,

I hear a lot of complaints about the noisy pintle system, but I suspect they are using that phony ball/pintle hook combination hitch that has huge amount of play. A terrible design for actual use.

I agree on the Bulldog. It is the best of the best for conventional ball couplers. Love mine on my Ollie and there is no doubt whether it is latched or not. Just for fun, I upgraded my stock Oliver 2" Bulldog, to a 2 5/16"

I wanted more articulation on the new rig and went with the McHitch. It is rated for 6 tons.

It seems like my normal playing around in 4WD, pushes a standard hitch very close to it's limit. I'd hate to make a mistake and break one, or twist the tongue
Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 AM   #44

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

yeah, he's in Reno, getting his PhD in Geology specializing in Neotectonics (recent earth movement, like from quakes). He runs a burning man camp, "Sunrise Tavern" centered around his truck and its awesome all night party drives, and the camp serves free pancake and mimosa breakfasts to anyone who comes by in the morning... he has a MFK (military field kitchen) trailer refitted with propane grills and a 4-kegger tap fridge....
Now I'm motivated to go again.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Once, eons ago, I had a trailer come unhooked.
I was taking part in a mall display for a M/C club, and had transported my cycle by trailer (as the fuel tank had to be drained).
Someone though it would be funny to unlatch the coupler, close it, and set it back on top of the ball (appearing hitched).
The result: When we tried to roll the cycle onto the trailer, the tongue popped up, and the the coupler took out the rear window of my wagon.
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good illustration of why a small lock on the coupler latch is a smart idea.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #47

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I had a trailer come off the ball once. I made the mistake described by others as the under-jaw set on top of the ball instead of under it. I latched it down and locked it, not noticing that the hitch was sitting a little high on the ball. I found out later that this hitch was prone to have the under-jaw thingy hang up in the forward/locked position even when the lever was in the up/unlocked position. It would then snag on the ball when lowering the hitch.

The one thing I should have noticed, and learned from, is that for 5 hours driving down the Interstate the hitch was making a lot more clunking noise than I had ever noticed. Now I always pull over and check if I hear anything odd.

When mine came loose on a rough side road, the crossed chains kept the tongue from running under the vehicle and the spare tire on the tongue gently pushed on my bumper, so no damage.

Funny thing was that it was dark, sparks flew from the tongue grinding on the pavement, and the steers in the adjacent field stampeded.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #48

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
Once, eons ago, I had a trailer come unhooked.
I was taking part in a mall display for a M/C club, and had transported my cycle by trailer (as the fuel tank had to be drained).
Someone though it would be funny to unlatch the coupler, close it, and set it back on top of the ball (appearing hitched).
The result: When we tried to roll the cycle onto the trailer, the tongue popped up, and the the coupler took out the rear window of my wagon.

Wow did the joker survive?

One reason I lock my latch, and also why I do a walk around when I stop. At least with all of my trailers it sticks out like a sore thumb if the latch is not latched around the ball.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #49

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Probably the least expensive way would be inspect with a hand held mirror to see if the hitch is fully latched over the ball. It would be relatively easy to figure out what it should look like.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #50

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Probably the least expensive way would be inspect with a hand held mirror to see if the hitch is fully latched over the ball. It would be relatively easy to figure out what it should look like.

Actually mine looks totally different. All my other trailers do too. I will say that u-haul trailers I have used a couple of times were such that an accidental not full hitch could happen. I hate them.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:22 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
the hitch on my escape is much more positive engaging than the more common hitches I've seen. not sure what to call it, but there's this U shaped yoke that has to slide forward and drop down on the front of the hitch for the clamp to engage the ball, and it has no adjustments.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote