UP Travel Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Smile UP Travel Advice

We are picking up our 13 foot Scamp on May 19th. I have put together places to stop in the UP as we circle across. I am hoping that some you more experienced travelers will have ideas for things to see and do. I have spent hours and hors online and with books but it does get overwhelming and it seems like the best advice is from another FG Forum member not from folks who 1 star a location for no wifi.

Her is our projected itinerary for the two week trip

1- arrive Backus MN

2-Porcupine Mountains State Park

3-Muninising Tourists Park

4-This stop we want to go to Pictured Rocks area looks beautiful and cannot figure out where to stay? Lots of bad internet reviews.

5-Tahquamenon Falls State Park

6-Sault Ste. Marie Michigan

7-Looking for a nice halfway point stop between Sault Ste. Marie and Delaware State Park Delaware Ohio

8-Delaware State Park

9- And Home! end of 1st Scamp Adventure!

Thanks for input I have really appreciate the kind advice we have gotten so far!

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Name: Brent
Trailer: Burro-1983
Minnesota
Copper harbor is worth a visit too... Beautiful. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Brentshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro
Pictured rocks is in the Munising area. the tourist park is only 3 miles west of Munising. You can stay there and still see much of the pictured rocks area by just driving. Your best bet is to contact the information center in Munising. It's in the same office as the Hiawatha national forest visitors center. The last phone number we have for them is: (906) 387-3700. Hope this helps.
kathy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

Minnesota
Our family camped just outside of pictured rocks too. We drove in for day trips to explore and went back to campsite in evening.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have camped at Porcupine Mountain SP , Fort Wilkins SP at Copper Harbor ,and Baraga SP ,all were great parks with lots to see.
The boat ride out to picture rock is well worth the money . There is also a nice private campgrounds on the shores of Lake Michigan in St Ignace Mi.
We are going to Lake Gogebic SP in the UP this July with 4 of our grandkids. Michigan has a lot of nice SP's and unlike most midwest SP's they have laundry facilities which is a real blessing when camping with kids.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Bay Furnace is a nice national forest campground near Munising. We also Like Au Train Lake national forest campground, also near Munising. Both are rustic.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Minnesota
Bay Furnace... That is the one we stayed at.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Check out 12 Mile Beach and Beaver Campgrounds, they are both in the national park. The boat trip is one of the best ways to see the rocks.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Porcupine Mountains: be sure to spend time at both the east and west units. The W side has more rustic camping (and is likely to be less crowded), and has 3 waterfalls in a row on the river there. You can walk along the river for over a mile each way (even cross over on a bridge and hike the other bank if you like) and it's very pleasant. The E unit, of course, has the high overlook with Lake of the Clouds. An alternate campround I've enjoyed is the Ontonagon municipal CG, right on Lake Superior with sandy beach.

Bond Falls near Paulding is IMO one of the best waterfalls in the state., maybe even the best. I actually think it's prettier than Tahquamenon.

The Pictured Rocks boat tour is pricey but I always say it's worth it, because you are getting entertained by the captain's humor as well as enjoying the scenery. You do want a sunny day, and the late afternoon 'sunset cruise' provides the best light on the rock cliffs. Weather along that shoreline can be iffy; you can hit a day of overcast, or rain, or even heavy fog. Hopefully if you get there on an off day weather-wise, you can stick around a day or so and hopefully hit a sunny stretch.

Definitely try to leave a day for the Keweenaw Peninsula. McLain SP is nice and is also right on the lake (but it's popular, so either have reservations or an alternate CG in mind). The drive on M-26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor is a scenic treat. Maybe take a picnic lunch and stop at one of the parks. Ft. Wilkins SP also has nice campsites (a good alternate) as well as historic fort buildings.

If you want a place between Munising and Tahquamenon, Woodland Park municipal CG in Grand Marais is nice enough and is right on the water. Just W of town there's a neat sand dune that you can climb for a view.

North of Tahquamenon, you might like to drive to Paradise and see the tiny lighthouse-turned-museum there.

When you cross the Mackinaw Bridge, be sure to stop in Mackinaw City for an hour or so and stretch your legs. Browse through the tourist-trap shops, see them making fudge and caramel corn. At the E end of the strip, by the dock entrance, walk north a half block to the local bakery for some of the best homestyle cinnamon bread or pecan rolls in the region. Mackinaw City also has a fort and a lighthouse right in town (plus another lighthouse about 3 miles west, and another one at Wilderness SP some 8-9 miles west of town).

For a CG in between there and Delaware OH, my choice would be Sleepy Hollow SP north of Lansing... but that might be a bit out of your way. If you prefer to stay on I-75 to US-23, then there are several state parks downstate but I haven't been to any of them. Hartwick Pines SP near Grayling is nice, and a stroll through the big trees in the virgin pine forest would be nice, but that could make your next day overly long.

I grew up in Michigan... can you tell? We go back every summer for a visit, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #10

Name: Scott
Ohio
UP Trip

Thanks for all the great information!
We can now put together the final final itinerary! Looks like we have some pretty neat places too see.
Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
If you're looking to meander a bit, there's the Pet Casket Factory in Gladstone, and Oswald's Bear Ranch in Newberry. The bear ranch is low key and walk through, but my 37 year old daughter loved being able to pet the cubs and had multiple pictures taken while she was doing that...she kept saying, "Their fur is so SOFT!"

Want to meander a bit more, visit Maciknac Island, a very worthy trip back through time. I hear there is a campground (or two) right near the bridge.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
At Duluth, why not swing north-east, and do the north shore of Lake Superior before heading south to 'The Soo', and then I75 to Ohio. Through that portion of Ontario, you'll find some of the most scenic wilderness, natural forests, and constant views over this 'Greatest' of the Great Lakes. Loads of 'Provincial' Parks for rustic camping, beaches and walking trails, etc. along our 'Tranny-Canaddy' - #17. But, I'm obviously biased, having had the pleasure of living and camping in the 'Land of the Big Goose' for over 35 years.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

Name: Bob
South Dakota
If you aren't in a big hurry to get out of MN, take some time in the Iron Range area, the Tower Sudan Mine is very interesting and lots of camping area's free and fee. Duluth has lots of attractions (Glensheen Manor for one)and the N Shore drive is beautiful. There are a number of campgrounds right on the shore of Lake Superior. There is free camping right on the river by Betty's pies N of Two Harbors, Split Rock Light House, and Grand Portage .
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I agree, that North Shore drive is nice from Two Harbors all the way to Grand Marais MN (not to be confused with Grand Marais MI). So many nice waterfalls and state parks, Split Rock Lighthouse, the view from the Palisades, Artist's Point, and more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #15

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
And if you're a little "wonky"....go to Paradise in the UP, and then visit Hell in the LP!!

(I can guarantee, you won't be spending long in Hell)

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
!2 Mile beach campground is very nice along Lake Superior, the winds will be cold! There might even be a Sunset Cruise at Munising which usually is very nice depending on weather...hard to enjoy if the waves are high enough to make you seasick! Hartwick Pines S.P is very nice also. Higgins Lake S.P are both nice , 1 on the north & south shore of Higgins Lake which is very beautiful. Have a great trip.
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #17

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote: 8-Delaware State Park - Delaware, Ohio

Just a confirmation of our favorite State Park in central Ohio.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Hartwick Pines State Park

Hartwick Pines State Park near Grayling , Michigan is nice. Has a stand of virgin pine forest.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote