Upgrades to 1988 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

A word about color and sunshine. I was amazed at how much cooler my white trailer was inside in comparison to my dark green car when parked in the sun. Admittedly, the car has more windows and the trailer is insulated but the difference was amazing.

I am now in the process of coating what windows I can on the car.

BTW, I would definitely recommend trailer, not passenger car nor truck tires.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/t...r_tires_101.pdf

I don't know if low profile tires are available in ST's which you may have to go to to get them to fit. I would not change the trailer just to get bigger wheels/tires underneath. What would be the point?
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2974__Small_.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Frankly, my reasons for the bigger wheels is purely personal aesthetics. The pull vehicle will be primarily my vintage Bronco, which is lifted and has beefy tires. I think my Scamp will look better rolling behind the Bronco with more height under it.

Thanks for the tip re: trailer tires. But if a car or truck tire met the criteria spelled out in your reference document, not sure I understand the science that dictates one over the other.

As to the concern about moving a refrigerator to the front and tongue weight: the ass end of this thing is heavy already. And I intend to double the size of my water tank. Can the weight of a loaded refrigerator in front make that much difference? BTW, where can I learn more about the "issues" of tongue weight?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Frankly, my reasons for the bigger wheels is purely personal aesthetics. The pull vehicle will be primarily my vintage Bronco, which is lifted and has beefy tires. I think my Scamp will look better rolling behind the Bronco with more height under it.

Thanks for the tip re: trailer tires. But if a car or truck tire met the criteria spelled out in your reference document, not sure I understand the science that dictates one over the other.

As to the concern about moving a refrigerator to the front and tongue weight: the ass end of this thing is heavy already. And I intend to double the size of my water tank. Can the weight of a loaded refrigerator in front make that much difference? BTW, where can I learn more about the "issues" of tongue weight?
Here's a start, it's information from Sherline: Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

I can see your desire for larger tires... I feel the same way! My reasoning was I wanted the wheels to match my tug. Okay, so I'm a visual person. I like the way my trailer sits, I have room (I have to be careful) for a pull out step and it tows beautifully. Win, win, win.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Right! I'm following your lead, Donna. In my professional life I know creating a good look is often half the battle. I don't mind spending a little more to get things right.

Tags
scamp