Upgrading the "Egg" converter... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Upgrading the "Egg" converter...

Well it seems that the industry experts or at least those at Best Converters think that my Elixir converter is junk. What got me started was a sale on battery chargers, particularly ones that can be left attached to the battery all the time. Then I started researching my converter to determine what it does other than charging the battery. It seems the majority of converters sold by Best Converters are either 3 or 4 way chargers. They all have different modes, trickle, bulk,desulfurizing, maintenance. My Elixir is just 2 modes. charging and trickle.
I'm not sure if I need all the other modes because the electronics in the Egg is relatively simple compared to larger trailers. My Elixir still works and seems to keep the battery in charged condition. I was planning on leaving it plugged in over the winter and this thought is what started this whole thread. From joining this forum and reading the posts, it seems the Bolers, the Uhauls, the smaller Scamps, and others do not have nor require a lot of electrical needs. They like my Egg have the basic 2-3 outlets, one battery, and some 12 volt lights. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade their converter to one that has 3 or 4 mode charging and can operate multiple 12v/120v circuits? Is there any benefit? I realize if my converter becomes inoperable then I'll have to replace it, but right now it is still working the same as it did 3 years ago. What are some of your thoughts?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well it seems that the industry experts or at least those at Best Converters think that my Elixir converter is junk. What got me started was a sale on battery chargers, particularly ones that can be left attached to the battery all the time. Then I started researching my converter to determine what it does other than charging the battery. It seems the majority of converters sold by Best Converters are either 3 or 4 way chargers. They all have different modes, trickle, bulk,desulfurizing, maintenance. My Elixir is just 2 modes. charging and trickle.
I'm not sure if I need all the other modes because the electronics in the Egg is relatively simple compared to larger trailers. My Elixir still works and seems to keep the battery in charged condition. I was planning on leaving it plugged in over the winter and this thought is what started this whole thread. From joining this forum and reading the posts, it seems the Bolers, the Uhauls, the smaller Scamps, and others do not have nor require a lot of electrical needs. They like my Egg have the basic 2-3 outlets, one battery, and some 12 volt lights. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade their converter to one that has 3 or 4 mode charging and can operate multiple 12v/120v circuits? Is there any benefit? I realize if my converter becomes inoperable then I'll have to replace it, but right now it is still working the same as it did 3 years ago. What are some of your thoughts?
I don't know about Elixer converters, but if your converter has successfully charged the battery for the past three years without boiling the battery and damaging it, then it seems like it is OK. However, if you have had to replace your battery every year or two, then perhaps the convert's charger unit is the reason, although there could be many other reasons as well.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Generally speaking the converter/charger doesn't distribute AC. There are power distribution panels that incorporate converter/chargers but it's a different function. Bulk mode lets you charge your battery fully in a few hours, rather than taking 24 hours or more to reach full charge.

If your power system is working for you, it's not destroying batteries and you aren't upgrading to solar or looking at adding a second battery or something, I see no reason to upgrade.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
I agree with the above posts, it does not sound like you need to replace your converter yet. However I thought I would chime in and say that I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it is an excellent unit. It is a 45 amp 4 mode converter/charger, an AC distribution panel with a main breaker and room for 5 branch circuits, and also a DC distribution panel with room for about 15 dc automotive style fuses. Basically this thing is an entire power center for a small RV in a very tiny package that is easy to find a spot for. I installed mine under the front bench of my 1973 Boler.
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
I agree with the above posts, it does not sound like you need to replace your converter yet. However I thought I would chime in and say that I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it is an excellent unit. It is a 45 amp 4 mode converter/charger, an AC distribution panel with a main breaker and room for 5 branch circuits, and also a DC distribution panel with room for about 15 dc automotive style fuses. Basically this thing is an entire power center for a small RV in a very tiny package that is easy to find a spot for. I installed mine under the front bench of my 1973 Boler.
That is the unit suggested by Best Converter as a replacement for my Elixir. Was it hard replacing your old unit? Do you have to rewire the whole unit or is it plug and play?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

My trailer did not have a 12 volt system when I bought it so there was no old converter to replace. That being said it is likely you will have a fair ammount of electrical work to do to change to this converter, nothing the average person couldn't tackle. There are a few threads on here describing the install of that unit. The included instructions are very good and the connections on the unit are laid out well.

I bought my converter from vintage trailer supply, you may want to check pricing there as well.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
Does this mean you have to plug into 50amp shore power instead of 30 amp?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
Does this mean you have to plug into 50amp shore power instead of 30 amp?
No, that is 45 amps of 12 V DC. If the converter was running at max capacity (45 amps on the DC side), it would draw about 5 amps on the AC or shore power side. This particular converter can take a 30 amp shore power input. However, there is no way I will ever need more than 15 amps in my trailer so I put a 15 amp main breaker in and my shore power hookup is a standard extension cord. You could certainly wire for a 30 amp if you had an A/C unit or if you thought you might need more than 15 amps of AC power in your trailer.

Tags
eggcamper