Upgrading the "Egg" converter... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Upgrading the "Egg" converter...

Well it seems that the industry experts or at least those at Best Converters think that my Elixir converter is junk. What got me started was a sale on battery chargers, particularly ones that can be left attached to the battery all the time. Then I started researching my converter to determine what it does other than charging the battery. It seems the majority of converters sold by Best Converters are either 3 or 4 way chargers. They all have different modes, trickle, bulk,desulfurizing, maintenance. My Elixir is just 2 modes. charging and trickle.
I'm not sure if I need all the other modes because the electronics in the Egg is relatively simple compared to larger trailers. My Elixir still works and seems to keep the battery in charged condition. I was planning on leaving it plugged in over the winter and this thought is what started this whole thread. From joining this forum and reading the posts, it seems the Bolers, the Uhauls, the smaller Scamps, and others do not have nor require a lot of electrical needs. They like my Egg have the basic 2-3 outlets, one battery, and some 12 volt lights. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade their converter to one that has 3 or 4 mode charging and can operate multiple 12v/120v circuits? Is there any benefit? I realize if my converter becomes inoperable then I'll have to replace it, but right now it is still working the same as it did 3 years ago. What are some of your thoughts?
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 366
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well it seems that the industry experts or at least those at Best Converters think that my Elixir converter is junk. What got me started was a sale on battery chargers, particularly ones that can be left attached to the battery all the time. Then I started researching my converter to determine what it does other than charging the battery. It seems the majority of converters sold by Best Converters are either 3 or 4 way chargers. They all have different modes, trickle, bulk,desulfurizing, maintenance. My Elixir is just 2 modes. charging and trickle.
I'm not sure if I need all the other modes because the electronics in the Egg is relatively simple compared to larger trailers. My Elixir still works and seems to keep the battery in charged condition. I was planning on leaving it plugged in over the winter and this thought is what started this whole thread. From joining this forum and reading the posts, it seems the Bolers, the Uhauls, the smaller Scamps, and others do not have nor require a lot of electrical needs. They like my Egg have the basic 2-3 outlets, one battery, and some 12 volt lights. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade their converter to one that has 3 or 4 mode charging and can operate multiple 12v/120v circuits? Is there any benefit? I realize if my converter becomes inoperable then I'll have to replace it, but right now it is still working the same as it did 3 years ago. What are some of your thoughts?
I don't know about Elixer converters, but if your converter has successfully charged the battery for the past three years without boiling the battery and damaging it, then it seems like it is OK. However, if you have had to replace your battery every year or two, then perhaps the convert's charger unit is the reason, although there could be many other reasons as well.

Rick G
__________________

__________________
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
Generally speaking the converter/charger doesn't distribute AC. There are power distribution panels that incorporate converter/chargers but it's a different function. Bulk mode lets you charge your battery fully in a few hours, rather than taking 24 hours or more to reach full charge.

If your power system is working for you, it's not destroying batteries and you aren't upgrading to solar or looking at adding a second battery or something, I see no reason to upgrade.

Regards,

Matt
__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Posts: 37
I agree with the above posts, it does not sound like you need to replace your converter yet. However I thought I would chime in and say that I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it is an excellent unit. It is a 45 amp 4 mode converter/charger, an AC distribution panel with a main breaker and room for 5 branch circuits, and also a DC distribution panel with room for about 15 dc automotive style fuses. Basically this thing is an entire power center for a small RV in a very tiny package that is easy to find a spot for. I installed mine under the front bench of my 1973 Boler.
__________________
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
I agree with the above posts, it does not sound like you need to replace your converter yet. However I thought I would chime in and say that I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it is an excellent unit. It is a 45 amp 4 mode converter/charger, an AC distribution panel with a main breaker and room for 5 branch circuits, and also a DC distribution panel with room for about 15 dc automotive style fuses. Basically this thing is an entire power center for a small RV in a very tiny package that is easy to find a spot for. I installed mine under the front bench of my 1973 Boler.
That is the unit suggested by Best Converter as a replacement for my Elixir. Was it hard replacing your old unit? Do you have to rewire the whole unit or is it plug and play?
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Posts: 37
My trailer did not have a 12 volt system when I bought it so there was no old converter to replace. That being said it is likely you will have a fair ammount of electrical work to do to change to this converter, nothing the average person couldn't tackle. There are a few threads on here describing the install of that unit. The included instructions are very good and the connections on the unit are laid out well.

I bought my converter from vintage trailer supply, you may want to check pricing there as well.
__________________
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jesse View Post
I agree with the above posts, it does not sound like you need to replace your converter yet. However I thought I would chime in and say that I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and it is an excellent unit. It is a 45 amp 4 mode converter/charger, an AC distribution panel with a main breaker and room for 5 branch circuits, and also a DC distribution panel with room for about 15 dc automotive style fuses. Basically this thing is an entire power center for a small RV in a very tiny package that is easy to find a spot for. I installed mine under the front bench of my 1973 Boler.
Does this mean you have to plug into 50amp shore power instead of 30 amp?
__________________
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
Does this mean you have to plug into 50amp shore power instead of 30 amp?
No, that is 45 amps of 12 V DC. If the converter was running at max capacity (45 amps on the DC side), it would draw about 5 amps on the AC or shore power side. This particular converter can take a 30 amp shore power input. However, there is no way I will ever need more than 15 amps in my trailer so I put a 15 amp main breaker in and my shore power hookup is a standard extension cord. You could certainly wire for a 30 amp if you had an A/C unit or if you thought you might need more than 15 amps of AC power in your trailer.
__________________

__________________
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggcamper


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converter Woes Number "Dos" Adrian W General Chat 12 02-20-2016 05:03 PM
FOUND - Looking for 16' or 17' "egg style" trailer Ella R Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 2 01-31-2009 07:11 PM
SOLD 13ft Play-Mor II For Sale "The Brown Egg" Susan Tiller Classified Archives 3 01-13-2007 04:48 PM
"UPGRADING" trailer. Brian Bowles General Chat 5 07-09-2006 09:03 AM
Sold Renee's Egg - "The Omulet" Elsie G. General Chat 6 12-29-2005 07:23 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.