Upholstery fabric: cheap options? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I think upholstery fabric is one of the most important considerations to be made when buying or redoing a trailer. I spent five long months (with my bud Kathie) helping on a daily basis. You'll know when the fabric you decide on is the one for you! If it's something you truly love and you spend a lot for it because it's a good quality, you'll have it for a very long time. Pay attention to whether or not it's exterior fabric and is warrantied against fading. PLUS, upholstery pattern becomes unavailable in about one year (how well I know THAT!), so be sure to buy enough to "fix" a bad stain or a tear. Good luck!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
As a seamstress, I can tell you that while making covers for rectangular cushions is a simple project in theory, it can get unwieldy for someone new to sewing. Upholstery fabric is heavy and when doubled is very thick. Add piping and you have many thicknesses which the average home sewing machine cannot handle. An industrial sewing machine is preferable. A long, sturdy, metal-toothed zipper is needed. These are difficult to find in a home sewing store. There are very few home sewing stores in existence any more.

Consider the age of your foam. I would start with new foam if it is old and smelly. Foam deteriorates with time. Keep in mind the cushion that is attached in the upper bunk. This would require some special installation on site whereas all the other loose cushions can be made off-site and installed by simply putting them in place.

You have received some very good advice here including consulting a professional. You can get some good "bargains" on fabric, but choose carefully. It might be worth it to hire a professional in the long-run as they will do an excellent job. Often the person who does alterations at the dry-cleaners is actually an accomplished tailor/seamstress, has an industrial machine and can do the job. Save the old cushions so the tailor/seamstress can use them as a pattern. You might save some costs by removing the stitching on one each of all the cushions. That way you don't have to pay them to remove the stitching, which can be time consuming. Use a "seam ripper" for the job.

Because we purchased our trailer new, we have the original Scamp cushions and are very happy with them. Knowing that replacing covers is expensive and/or a big home project, I put some effort into protecting them by throwing decorative fleece covers on them. By doing so, I only need to wash the throws which protect the cushions from wear and tear, fading and soil.

Another plus is that it is easy for me to change up the decor on a whim, which I do often. See my attached photos
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 040.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 069.jpg  

The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
When I made new covers for my Burro cushions I ended up using Cordura nylon (500 denier) in a fun cherry red. It's a fabric used for making backpacks, duffel bags, etc. Very durable, flexible, water & stain resistant....pretty much indestructible. We travel with dogs and it is perfect! Pawprints and hair brush right off. I bought at Sunbrella : Grommets : Clear Vinyl : Marine Vinyl : Outdoor Fabrics : Seattlefabrics.com for about $12 a yard at 60" width.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #18
Trailer: '88 16' Scamp #4 layout
North Idaho
temp covers

I have used a good sheet in coordiating colors and if they are cotton and poly they last pretty good and not too hard to make.
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Check out camoflage - camo - fabrics. There are hundreds upon hundreds of patterns and colors ranging from nature to digital to abstract. Keep an open mind. Camo fabrics offer much more than the old military patterns we grew up with.

Matching camo fabrics are made in numerous weights of cordura, netting,stretch lace, nylon, headliner, sheeting, cotton duck, twill, denim, rip stop, fleece, flannel, cotton sheeting, canvas, and lovely decorator weight cottons for upholstery and drapes. The typical cost of decorator weight cottons average about $10 per yard which is a huge savings compared to $60 per yard of designer (RV) decorating fabric. I've seen patterns available in 600 Denier PVC coated polyester for $9 per yard. Use it for a water resistant wheel cover or a camping table cloth.

Lura's Fabrics offer a good selection as well as many other online fabric stores. Other sources are EBay and the actual camo pattern manufactures; Realtree, Rockywoods, Mossyoaks, True Timber, and many others. There is a caveat - the camo manufactures print their logos on the front side of the fabric, typically very small and not noticeable.

Camo fabrics don't phase in and out based on design industry whim. The same patterns can be available for decades. Then, of course, there are matching accessories and vehicle wraps so you could coordinate the outside of your egg with the inside::

Gawd, I love being a girl.
Happy Trails,
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
I priced out fabric from several places, including Walmart, Joann's, both the store and online, fabric.come and amazon. You can find some good deals if you really look. Previous to our scamp, I purchased enough clearance fabric from Joann's and amazon to recover the cushions in a vintage camper. It took me three solid weeks of sewing, multiple do overs and broken needles and I still was unhappy with the corners and zippers. When we bought the Scamp, I found fabric I liked, priced it out and then realized that for an extra $150 I could order premade covers from Scamp and save myself the time and frustration of sewing my own. So we ordered the Dark Green cushion covers and I am SO GLAD we did!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Yes, Emily is right; it's a pretty time-consuming job. I didn't put zippers on my cushions, just slip stitched the short ends. If I ever want to remove them, it wouldn't take much to rip out one end.

You can use a regular sewing machine but use heavy duty needles. It helps a lot if you have a reliable machine you enjoy using, and you enjoy sewing as well.

francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
I did a quick cover of all of my cushions with indoor/outdoor fabric from Joann's. I had a coupon and it was a good price overall. I think maybe around $100 or so for all the fabric I needed. Mine wasn't perfectly covered as I just did more of a "fitted sheet" so I could slip them off and wash them if desired or if someone wanted to go back to the yucky brown ones when I sell the trailer. You can see them in my non FB trailer updates folder good luck and can't wait to see the updates!
a chick waiting for her first egg
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
cushion covers

Last fall we bought a 1988 19 Scamp Deluxe, the cushions were in dire need of new covers. We have not picked out our final material yet. my wife did however, make a temporary set of pillow cases out new bed sheets. The do look nice and will be serviceable until she makes a decision on new material.

BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote