Upsy daisy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300, 1980 Scamp 16
Ohio
Upsy daisy!

After weeks of trying to figure how to get our Trillium into the warehouse, I settled on homemade ramps. It worked out well, winching it up by hand plus a safety line just in case. And one inch of top clearance just as I figured!

[ATTACH]42031
Attached Thumbnails
image-1005780278.jpg   image-1048708012.jpg  

Bobaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Determination that paid off
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. As I only see two ramps I am assuming a taunt winch line and the winch being high enough was what let your tongue clear the warehouse floor. Good job, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
WOW!!! i am impressed! i think we take for granted that we can store our trillium outback effortlessly in our carport. seeing what lengths you have had to resort to make me truly grateful.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That's impressive, your Trillium has quite the ride to get all warm and snuggly. Obviously you are good at calculations with the inch to spare being right on.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. As I only see two ramps I am assuming a taunt winch line and the winch being high enough was what let your tongue clear the warehouse floor. Good job, Raz
Thanks Raz. Getting the winch line high was a problem, hence plan B. There were two pallets of bagged road salt in the warehouse (about 5000 lbs) to which we lashed our hand winch. We then screwed a 2x6 "sled" to the underside of the battery/tank tray on the trailer. The sled kept the tongue just high enough to clear the dock, yet low enough to duck under the door.

The ramp is made from 8 ft lumber so when it is disassembled (about 10 minutes) it stores easily.

We plan to lift the body off the frame to replace the axle, this time with brakes. So now it's time to figure out this lift!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2598739309.jpg   image-1913512637.jpg  

Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p
WOW!!! i am impressed! i think we take for granted that we can store our trillium outback effortlessly in our carport. seeing what lengths you have had to resort to make me truly grateful.
We do have the convenience of keeping her in our barn, but for this restoration I wanted dry and warm! Plus having roof trusses and 16 foot headroom available for lifting the body off the frame may prove useful.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaton View Post
Thanks Raz. Getting the winch line high was a problem, hence plan B. There were two pallets of bagged road salt in the warehouse (about 5000 lbs) to which we lashed our hand winch. We then screwed a 2x6 "sled" to the underside of the battery/tank tray on the trailer. The sled kept the tongue just high enough to clear the dock, yet low enough to duck under the door.

The ramp is made from 8 ft lumber so when it is disassembled (about 10 minutes) it stores easily.

We plan to lift the body off the frame to replace the axle, this time with brakes. So now it's time to figure out this lift!
Use the search feature (especially the google search) to poke around the forum for posts on body off frame restores. Lots of good info. No need to reinvent the wheel. And keep us up to date on your progress. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl
That's impressive, your Trillium has quite the ride to get all warm and snuggly. Obviously you are good at calculations with the inch to spare being right on.
I didnt even have clearance enough to place the ramps ON the dock. They had to butt up flush with the dock floor.

We had a wonderfully insane idea to run a line from the trailor into the warehouse, through a block, then back out under the trailer to our to car, and then "pull" her up. What great video that would have been! But alas we were unable to locate a block that would accommodate our 3/4 line, so we did it the boring way. No video.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Just something I noticed in one of your earlier posts, the part about "with one inch to spare."

You may want to keep an eye on any lift differences (as in how high your new axle will set compared to the old one,) so as to not "build a ship in a bottle" so to speak, and not having sufficient headroom later to get it back out. Just thought I'd mention it...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg
Just something I noticed in one of your earlier posts, the part about "with one inch to spare."

You may want to keep an eye on any lift differences (as in how high your new axle will set compared to the old one,) so as to not "build a ship in a bottle" so to speak, and not having sufficient headroom later to get it back out. Just thought I'd mention it...
Thank you Greg! That would be embarrassing! Looking at it now, it rides with about 3 1/2" clearance from tire to wheel well. I'm good with that, but I have no "bounce" in the suspension which makes me suspect the rubber has hardened in the axle assembly.

I suppose if the new axle simply must ride higher, I'll have to resort to small wheels to get it out! All part of the fun.......