Use of small Appliances in Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi Everyone,
I am slowly trying to outfit my new(old) Trillium 1300. I just don't feel comfortable using propane so looking at a two burner hot plate or maybe a griddle to use to cook on and boil water. Most of these appliances say they use 1500-1800 watts. I guess that's about what hair dryers use too. Do I have to worry about plugging these into my camper? I have two fuses in the circuit box, one is 25 amps and the other is 30 amps. Is this enough to safely use a variety of electrical appliances. I will only be plugging into shore power for the most part when I camp.

Also, most of these appliances have three prong plugs. If I use a two prong adapter, will that still be safe?
Nancy H128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hi Nancy! We do almost all of our 'camping' at organized campgrounds. These grounds always have power. WE always take along another heavy gauge extension cord and plug THAT into the 'lectric mast head and run the cord over to the outdoor cooking/dining area almost always located under our awning. We run everything from a toaster and 2 burner hot plate to a kettle (for boiling dish water) and a T.V!! TRYING not to overload the campgrounds circuitry....!

Converting a 3 prong plug to a two prong plug, (IMHO) is never really a safe thing to do.
It can be done, but that doesn't make it totally safe all the time.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Nancy,

I agree with Doug; outside would be safer. An electrical outlet is is usually rated 15 Amps, which under the best conditions would be 1800 watts for the whole duplex outlet (both sets of holes). However, your trailer may be wired with 14 gage wire, not standard 12 gage. If so, you need to be careful not to exceed the capacity, overheat the wiring and cause a fire. I suppose you could use the appliances on lower settings and one at a time, but you still would not have proper grounding (shock hazard). I would recommend that you upgrade the wiring in the Trillium before you use the appliances inside!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Hi.

My camping will be without internal propane. My PlayPac came without good wiring, so I had it done. I am adding only GFI outlets and making sure all the appliances I pick will work under 30amp conditions.

I received a GE single burner hot plate for Christmas. It's well under the trailer's electrical limits.
I will also have a rather underpowered microwave and toaster oven. So, I'm all electric.

I'm looking forward to various adventures.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
I just picked up a great little appliance for the Egg. It is a 2 quart Crock Pot that only uses 100 watts. I plan to do meal prep ahead of time and stick the bags in the freezer. When I am ready to camp, I can just grab a bag or two and put them in my cooler. Then, when I set up camp, I can just pop one of the bag contents into the Crock Pot, go out to explore and enjoy the campgrounds and come home to a hot and yummy meal.
Nancy H128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
We use a small electric skillet to cook with and an electric pot that heats water-looks like a small coffee pot. I also have a Samsung junior microwave-it is 11 inches wide, 12 inches high and 10 inches deep and light weight. It travels in the truck when we are on the road. We have had no problem with electric since I put in wiring and more plug-ins and use a heavy duty extension cord when needed.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper