Using a 110-volt dorm referigerator as Ice-Box? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yes, there was an instruction manual with my new cooler. It says NOT to drain the water from melting ice. That drain is only for when you are done using the cooler.
A little experiment we did long ago in my VoTec refrigeration class was very enlightening to me. We had a cooler with a block of ice and the melted water off of it. When we put a very accurate temperture probe on the block of ice and in the surrounding water BOTH were exactly 32 degrees! Don't dump that 32 degree water, unless your stuff is getting soggy. But then it sure feels good to reach in that cold water for an ice cold can of "Coke"* on a hot day!

*Where I am from here in the South, every soda is a "Coke".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #22

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Well !! Amaze me, Buddy..... I have always pulled the plug on my cooler to dump the water from the ice. My thinking was that the water was warmer than the ice, thereby allowing the innards of the cooler to get warmer faster... But I have never checked into the physics of it as you have. You make sense in the fact that cold water can be just 1 degree away from the freezing point (which then it becomes ice), but who cares about 1 degree difference when you are just trying to keep some weenies and yogurt cold ??
P.S. I think I understand it, but I am going to Google right now and see if I can find a second opinion that matches yours.
Thanks from Tom Justice
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The ice and water can be at the same temp but be in different states because it takes a certain amount of energy for the H2O to change state from one to another. Ice to water, water to steam.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You will find instructions for Coleman Extreme here:

Coleman - How to use and clean Xtremeâ„¢ Coolers
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #25

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Y'all are correct !! Just chkd the Coleman and the Igloo sites and they agree witchu. Who says y'all can't teach an old dog new trix !! Thanx, folks...
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a Coleman 150 qt marine cooler. It was $180 I think, but it works unbelievably well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote