Using adhesive on ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I assumed, based on my research here, that affixing things to the ensolite with adhesive was impossible or just a no-no. Then I discovered that one of the overhead lights in my Boler is affixed with some sort of adhesive and it looks pretty well stuck.

I have seen quite a bit of grousing about the use of rivets through the fiberglass to hold up curtains that weigh less than a pound, but it doesn't seem that anyone has utilized a solution that avoids it, other than attaching the rods to upper cabinets. I would love to add upper cabinets and do that, but in the meantime am wondering if it is more of a terrible idea to use adhesive on the ensolite for the curtain rods than to have all those potentially leaky rivet holes.

I would so love to fill in all those rivet holes.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't think adhesive on ensolite would work on curtain rods, because of the leverage factor. You have a lot of leverage on a small base with a curtain rod; vs. no leverage and a huge base on a light.

I am going to go with one of two options when I replace mine:

1) In places with an overhead cabinet or shelf, I am going to mount the rod-holders on the underside of the shelf (many people have added forward and rear overhead cabinets, and then side shelves between the rear overhead cabinet and the closet/kitchen cab). (See Larry and Carrie's or others.) That takes care of just about all of them, but if you don't have cabinets, here is a possible alternative:

2) Weld Mount fasteners (see details below). These are used in boatbuilding often now, to hold wire runs and many other things, because holes through the hull create moisture problems. I believe they would be sturdy enough to hold curtains, but since I haven't used them for this yet, I do encourage you to read the holding power for yourself (they list some impressive number, and a wire run in a boat can be quite heavy and bounce around a LOT).

For these I would make a slit in the Ensolite (it's already got holes for the curtain rod now anyway), clean in there with some acetone on a Q-tip or similar, and then slip the disc through and mount it (with it's own special acrylic adhesive).

Link to Weld Mount fasteners at Jamestown Distributors:

http://tinyurl.com/ykvw95m

Photo of one of the base styles (there are a few):

Name:   weld_mount.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  8.5 KB

You could also epoxy mount some blocks to the shell, but I think the Weld Mount system is much more compact and tidy.

3) Some people have mounted the curtain rods to the aluminum frames on the side window, although I prefer mine to go off to the side more, so I'm not going to use this method myself.

Photo of curtain rod mount on window frame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_curtain_brackets.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	25244
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #3

Registry
I saw the thread with these two solutions. I was confused about how the weld mount fastener would work. Would you poke each one through the screw holes in the brackets?

The last solution couldn't be used for the front and back windows that only have rubber gaskets, right?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Amy,

First of all, yes, the metal-riveted bracket in my #3 won't work on our Bolers' rubber-gasketed front and rear windows.

As to the Weld Mount fasteners, well, they are just a base to start you off. You can get them with a male threaded end or a female threaded end. I would want to design the curtain rod to go with one of those before I purchased/chose them.

I'm not planning to re-use the original bracket and rod. I haven't decided what I'll use yet, but contenders are curtain wires or varnished dowel stock. I'll use some combination of holes, screws, wires, eye-bolts, cup hooks, or etc. to put it all together.

If you do want to re-use the stock brackets and rods for sure, then I would probably recommend epoxying small wooden blocks to the shell, then mounting the brackets to them. You would probably want to cut out the Ensolite where they go (but then it has holes in it already anyway). Or you could taper the blocks and pull the Ensolite back over them to some extent.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Anyone else have any ideas on solving this curtain rod problem?

We've got a refurbished Boler that has some curtains rods but not all. I need to install a curtain rod in the back window without drilling through the fiberglass shell (the front and side windows have rods installed)

I like the idea of the Weld Mount system (except it sure is expensive!!) but what do you attached to the male or female screw so that you can attach a curtain rod to it? - or would I just have to thread some heavy gauge metal wire through the top of my curtain and wind this onto the Weld Mount screw??

Any ideas and photos would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Naomi
Naomi L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Hey y'all!

I bought these at Ikea!

The idea is to mount them directly to the shell with epoxy (or screw on to upper cabinets) like Raya's idea, but these things have all the elements to use for curtains.

Check out http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295
Attached Images

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Here's a picture:

Hi Robert,

Now this gadget looks quite interesting And you say I could mount it with adhesive and not have to drill it it through the shell? Have you used it in your Boler and what did you use to attach it to a curtain/cafe rod? - do you happen to have any photos of it installed in your Boler?

Many Thanks!

Naomi
Naomi L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #8

Registry
Hey Robert!

Love your website! And the fact that you seem to have a new and eggs-sellently named business. The Scamp renovation you did was so gorgeous. If we hadn't already bought our Boler, I would be knocking on your door. I was looking for a business exactly like yours three months ago. If I run into anyone in my neck of the woods who is thinking about buying an egg, I'll send them to the Eggplant.

Amy
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Hey Robert!

Love your website! And the fact that you seem to have a new and eggs-sellently named business. The Scamp renovation you did was so gorgeous. If we hadn't already bought our Boler, I would be knocking on your door. I was looking for a business exactly like yours three months ago. If I run into anyone in my neck of the woods who is thinking about buying an egg, I'll send them to the Eggplant.

Amy

Wow, Amy! Thanks so much for the kind words. I find that my various past "occupations" provide me with a unique skill set that's (IMHO) perfect for "egg" renovation. I'd appreciate any good words about me that you can pass on to other eggsters. Cheers!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Hi Robert,

Now this gadget looks quite interesting And you say I could mount it with adhesive and not have to drill it it through the shell? Have you used it in your Boler and what did you use to attach it to a curtain/cafe rod? - do you happen to have any photos of it installed in your Boler?

Many Thanks!

Naomi

Naomi,

This "gadget" is pretty great!... It is designed with a flat base and two holes for screws. (After mounting, there's a tight fitting plate that slips over the post and hides the screws.) Obviously, this will work fine when mounted to the bottom of overhead cabinets.

For side mounting to the shell, use Raya's epoxy method. But, there must be a direct application between the gadget and the shell. Any insulation or wall covering must be cut away. Apply the "quick set" epoxy to the gadget, press into place, and use a couple pieces of duct tape to hold it in position until it sets up. Voila!

The gadget also comes with a long length of 1/16" braided wire cable and a connector that works like a turnbuckle. Once the wire is cut to proper length, the curtain is slipped over the wire (no rod required), and the turnbuckle twists the wire taut. Totally cool!

I think the original curtain rod devices on the vintage trailers I've seen are really weak, mechanically and aesthetically. These are a very clean and modern looking alternative. I'm gonna use them on all my renovations.

RJ