Using air suspension to lower trailer to fit in garage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Using air suspension to lower trailer to fit in garage

Hello! I could use some help. My husband and I bought a Scamp last month. Our homeowners association does not allow trailers parked on the property. We need to get our new baby into the garage.

My garage door is about 4 inches too low to get the 2008 Scamp (no air conditioner) in the garage. We live in Florida and could potentially be taking the trailer out on a trip every month year-round. My husband does not want to take the tires off and on every time we want to use the trailer.

A contractor we engaged to give us an estimate on enlarging the garage door opening suggested the it would be significantly less expensive to use air suspension/shocks to lower the trailer the 4 inches we need.

Does this make sense? Has anyone ever done this?
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Air suspension would be a lot cheaper than a reno on the door. That's even if your HOA would allow it. I doubt you could drop the trailer with A/S anywhere near enough. The cost of two tiny wheels to get the clearance is peanuts compared to $ for the others and 15 minutes to change out both wheels. Wouldn't even be question if I had the same problem.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, if ya can't raise the bridge so you may have to lower the river.

Raising the door height, depending on the existing construction, may well be impossible without major construction, building permits and even roof work.

The air suspension idea would be all new ground and very expensive as it would require an entirely new axle and suspension system. No doubt about what you paid for your Scamp to have it done in a commercial shop. Tell your contractor to stick to buildings and to stay away from RV's LOL

Tell your husband that you will buy an electric impact (lug) wrench and a small floor jack and, working together you will be able to change both tires in about 10 minutes and roll the Scamp into the garage.

You want to get some 8" rims, as commonly used on Tent trailers, with 5:70x8 tires on them, with the bolt pattern of your Scamp axle, that will give you about 3.5"-4" of drop. If you need more, some peeps just use the bare rims, without any tires, and cut a sheet of plywood into 12" strips to make tracks to roll the bare rims on.

This is an oft asked question hereabouts and the smaller wheels win out about 90% of the time.

Forgot to ask... Do you have a roll up or a tilt up door? The roll up ones can be adjusted to completely clear the door opening, not so with the tilt up ones.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #4

Registry
Another solution, probably not desirable, move out of an HOA area.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Mine misses an inch or so with roller dollies under the frame. My 1986 Scamp might fir without the bump from the escape hatch on top.
The slight rise going into the garage doesn't help any either, or does the black water tank I have installed in the front.
A very tight fit.
I was going to try rolling the trailer on the drums, but the axle was oriented up 15* anf the drums were higher than the frame rail.
I tried using 8" golf trailer wheels and tires with low air, but did not gain enough.
Good work with a tape measure might be useful.
Golf cart wheels without tires might work but only with the 4 lug hubs (I don't think that there are 5 lug golf cart wheels.)
Good luck.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

What are being called "Golf Cart Wheels", were used on Pop-Up tent trailers for years as well. (I've got 4 in my garage junque pile right now) They are available in 4 and 5 lug configuration.

And never roll on the bare brake drums, they will chip and crack.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Harbor Freight Wheel Dollies. Completely remove wheel dollies and set trailer on dollies and back into garage.Will only keep axle about 4 inches off floor.
Karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

Name: Julie
Florida
Thank you for all the great advice!

Does anyone have experience or a recommendation on whether the 8 inch wheels or the dollies are a better way to go?

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

The dollies have smaller wheels and will be harder to move over any irregularities in the floor surface and you shouldn't rest the brake drums directly on the dollies, but you could use bare 8" rims on the dollies. You will get more clearance with the dollies.

If the 8" rims with tires give you the clearance you need, they will be easier and faster to use.