Utah wind popped rivets awning Trilly 1300. Now what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Utah wind popped rivets awning Trilly 1300. Now what?

A big wind popped three rivets off the top of our 1980 Trilly awning, bent the connection to the trailer roof, and bent one of the aluminum legs. The awning is toast. Need to replace or get something else and repair the rivet holes. Awning is about 8'4" length. I am going to be traveling in this myself and find the current awning (original Carefree of Colorado) pretty hard to set up alone. So I'm considering something free-standing perhaps?

My questions are 1.) when I remove the awning what is the best way to repair the holes left by the rivets (aside from actual re-glassing)?, and, 2.) has anyone found a workable awning or stand alone that can be assembled by one fairly short female person?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Colleen

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I removed the Fiama awning on my Casita a few years ago. (I still have it if someone wants to make me an offer - it was probably used 3 times, and is in dry storage in my garage along with all the associated brackets and mounting hardware.) I won't even try to ship it anywhere due to the size and weight, it's about 10' long, but if you want to pick it up here in western WA, I'll make somebody a good deal on it. First $500 bucks takes it. It's like brand new.

When I removed it, I just drilled out the old rivets and cleaned up all the previous awning mounting bracket sites and then put new rivets with white caps and sealant in the existing holes.

I now use a Clam 1660 pop-up for an awning/screen room. I never liked the awning, but I love the Clam. There have been at least a few threads on these Clam units in the forum here.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You might consider an insurance claim. My deductible is probably higher than the cost of a new awning, but if the damage to your structure is significant this might be the way to go.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Awning failure in wind or rain is the most common insurance claim and usually covered. The largest problem with awnings is you can not leave an awning up and leave your rig. Sudden wind and rain happen. It is the reason that many new motor homes have automatic retraction in wind and rain.

I would definitely contact my insurance company.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Thanks

Insurance! Never would have thought of that. I'll give it a go.

40mph gust was all it took; I'm thinking a free standing unit is the way to go. That way the dessert can have it if it wants and my Trilly will be safe(ish).
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeno View Post
Insurance! Never would have thought of that. I'll give it a go.

40mph gust was all it took; I'm thinking a free standing unit is the way to go. That way the dessert can have it if it wants and my Trilly will be safe(ish).
Which Carefree awning did you have? Was it the same as the Fiesta one ?

If it was I don't think you will find an easier awning to put up with just one person. I have a case awning that I can put up on my own but it is a pain to put up and take down I envy anyone with the Carefree Fiesta awning.

As far a free standing pop up goes - I have a couple of them, but only one that I can put up on my own (by staking down one of the legs and then pulling it open). But that one is VERY light and it will blow away &/or the legs break apart if stacked down in the first good wind. My other pop up is a genuine very heavy EZ up and it can take if stacked down a bit more wind but its is REALLY heavy - I have a tough time pulling it out of the back of the truck on my own and no way would I ever get it up on my own - its hard enough with two people. When traveling on my own I mainly use the trailer awning due to the hassles of putting up a pop up on my own.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Colleen, you might look into replacing it with this one, as it looks easy to set up and take down.
ShadyBoy.com - Photo Gallery - Boler

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Or this one.

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #9