Valterra Hand Pump bypass ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Valterra Hand Pump bypass ?

Hello, I have a Valterra hand pump in my Scamp and wanted to install a 12V pump and plum into the valterra so I can use either hand pump it or turn on a switch and have it pump water. Is there a way to do this ? I dont mind using the hand pump for hand washing or short time use but would be nice to bypass it when I wanted to use more water without having to pump -- all coming through the valterra faucet.

Any advice/ideas/suggestions/etc highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy
andy vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy vaughan View Post
Hello, I have a Valterra hand pump in my Scamp and wanted to install a 12V pump and plum into the valterra so I can use either hand pump it or turn on a switch and have it pump water. Is there a way to do this ? I dont mind using the hand pump for hand washing or short time use but would be nice to bypass it when I wanted to use more water without having to pump -- all coming through the valterra faucet.

Any advice/ideas/suggestions/etc highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy
Andy,

Looking at the Valterra hand pump and its repair kit online, my answer is "possibly, but I have my doubts and also some additional concerns".

If you were to install an electric pump inline below the Valterra, I believe that the hand pump would still work based on my experience with a Flojet and seeing how that pump is constructed and operates. Basically, the Valterra would just need to overcome the electric pump's check valves. I think that part would work just fine.

My primary question would be whether the electric pump could or should pump "through" the Valterra. For that answer, I suggest contacting Valterra.

An alternative approach to evaluate this would be to hook a pressurized water supply to the Valterra inlet to see if the pressurized water bypasses the pump. You could do this with a household water supply, but you might be risking damaging the Valterra with the pressure causing the Valterra to crack or leak. So, I think contacting Valterra first would be a good approach.

If you are considering leaving the Valterra in-line primarily to accomplish better water conservation than what you think you might achieve with an electric pump, you might look at this thread which includes the positive experience I had with a low-flow Danco aerator.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-84536.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote