Vent Replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2003, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Vent Replacement

Hi all, I bought a replacement roof vent with a plastic flange, but then read in another thread that the plastic ones can crack. What are other people using, the plastic or metal flanged ones?

Also, how are you installing the new vent. I am afraid that the flat bottom of the vent will cause the roof to sag once installed on the curved surface. (My roof already has a big sag to it that I will be trying to fix by glassing in a piece of plywood)

Some suggestions I've had from co-workers include foam backer rods, gaskets, several tubes of caulk, cutting the flange off and replacing it on an angle, taking it to a fiberglass place and having a mounting flange made to match the curve of the roof....the list goes on (everyone has an opinion, although none of them have been tested...)
Thanks for any ideas you have to offer :wave

Old 06-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #2

fantastic fan

The fan I bought for my Casita has a plastic flange.

I didn't use rivets, used screws so I could tighten em a little at a time all the way around. Used the nice thick foam gasket, then gooped silicon all over the seam and the screws.

FWIW, the vent I removed was metal framed. One year old, installed at the factory. The silicon was neatly spread over the 2" flange but did NOT stick to the galvanized metal.

My roof was braced with stiffeners fore and aft of the opening, not sagging, so this might make a difference, but I like the plastic flange, the silicon sticks to it! :)

Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #3

Thanks PCD. When you say a "thick foam gasket" - how thick are you talking, and where, oh where to find a creature such as that?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #4

I thought we were suppose to use Butyl tape. I may have the wrong stuff. course I guess there could be two things to pick from and not just one. The tape worked well on my windows, so I thought to use on the vent too. I'm having a size problem. the old vent was 14 1/2" new one is 14" plus they had extra holes in the corners. so I have holes that are not being covered. if it's not one thing, it's another. :wak
Old 06-21-2003, 06:48 AM   #5

And another and another...
yours respectfully,
Trailer Slave
Old 06-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #6

vent seal

Lainey:

The foam gasket came with my fantastic fan. If you need one they are available an any RV supply and are worth the money. Fit the standard opening for vents, fans or AC. I think about $15. :)
Old 06-21-2003, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks, I'll check it out! :)
Old 06-25-2003, 01:36 PM   #8

Good help is hard to find...

...the RV parts store I went to didn't have a gasket - the girl looked at me like I was out of my mind or something - on top of it all, I went in there to buy my new vent last week - wanted the all plastic one and was told that they didn't carry it (drove over to Can Tire and got it there) I won't be shopping there anymore.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #9

Oh, and I ended up making my own gasket out of that blue hi-density foam they use for sleeping bag mats. I'll be trying the installation tonight - wish me luck!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:21 PM   #10

Good luck!!

:wave :wave :wave

Let us know how it goes! (I don't see why your home made gasket wouldn't work.)

:sunny
Old 06-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #11

When I installed my Fantastical Fan, I used the thin foam gasket, with screws as Don did, and then bridged the flange and roof with silicone sealer to cover the gasket and protect it from weather and UV.

The problem with metal is not only do some sealers not stick (esp galv metal if not cleaned properly because there are oils on the new metal), but also in cool weather you will get more condensation because the metal conducts the outside temps to the inside much better than does plastic, altho it can be insulated by glueing foam.

Lacking a gasket, I would also use the Backpacker's Blue Foam, available from your neighborhood XMart.

Pete in the RatHaus
Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 PM   #12

it's done! (basically)

Well, it took me about 3 hours from start to finish (including the time spent running around after the 5 yr old)

The vent looks good - I'll post pictures in the next couple days.

One problem with the interior trim though. I knew that it would need to be trimmed down in height since these vents are designed to go into the other kind of trailer - not fiberglass - they assume when making them that the depth is much greater than what we have. Well, I used stainless steel screws with nuts. I thought once the interior trim goes on that the screws would be covered - but of course not! :o The trim is too small to cover the screws! I'm sure someone else must have ran into this before, but I couldn't find anything on the search. Suggestions?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:31 AM   #13

you already have it in, but we did have a helpful discussion on this. fan vent using a different trim made to fit.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #14

Hi Jana, thanks for the link. It gave me the idea that I will cut the trim and vent down so I have the proper depth, then I will install a molding to the trim piece that will make it wider to cover the screws. Another make work project I guess. :)