Ventilation without power - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
I am guessing that this is an issue for most, which is the reason that Fantastic Fans are so popular. Even with a fantastic fan the air will travel between the windows in the rear and the ceiling hatch where the fan installs. this leaves the front of the cabin with no circulation.

We have a 13' Love Bug - 2 rear side windows that open and a ceiling vent. No window in the door. When we boondock we don't have power to run a fan (yet).

my question is...does anybody have a vent in the front end of your cabin that can be opened or closed to allow for a cross draft from front to back? If so please share. I am hoping not to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already addressed this issue.
Cathy in florida its going to be hot in the summer. I would head to walmart and for about $70 you can get a marine deep cycle battery and for about $8 a 12 volt socket with 2 alligator clips to clip on the battery and have power for a fan. I couldn't imagine camping in the heat without something to move the air around. My last few years of tent camping I used the marine battery and a small "trucker fan" that plugged into the socket...they sell them at walmart as well as some larger auto parts stores. Made camping in the humidity alot more bearable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I can't offer a non powered solution, even with minimal 12V battery power you can run RV ceiling fans. I have the Maxxfan Deluxe, Model 5100K. While it draws 4 amps on high, on the lowest setting only about .2 amps. Still moves quite a bit of air on low, and is almost silent. A couple of advantages of this fan - it has a built in shroud so it can be left on in the rain. It can be operated manually at any of the 10 available speeds, or switched to the thermostat mode where as the trailer temperature goes up the fan speeds up. Great for keeping the inside temperatures down with the minimum amount of power while you are away.

It wouldn't take all that much in the way of solar to keep the battery up if the fan is all you use. I have a 95 watt panel & power many other things, including the fan with no problems.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The Walmart fan I saw was square, 10 or 12 inches, and had a base that folded. Batteries were in the base I believe. I don't know how long he has had it. Sometimes with Walmart after they sell out an item they don't restock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Actually if the fan from Walmart is the same as I found it also has an input jack for external power!
I have mine rigged to plug right into 12vdc on a lighter plug and it will run forever on a battery jumping pack or the trailers lighter plug.

They are really a nice little fan.
Yup O2Cool..... The one with the separate battery case is a newer version than mine. Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Cathy in florida its going to be hot in the summer. I would head to walmart and for about $70 you can get a marine deep cycle battery and for about $8 a 12 volt socket with 2 alligator clips to clip on the battery and have power for a fan. I couldn't imagine camping in the heat without something to move the air around. My last few years of tent camping I used the marine battery and a small "trucker fan" that plugged into the socket...they sell them at walmart as well as some larger auto parts stores. Made camping in the humidity alot more bearable.
What deryk suggests was also my thought, battery can drive a small fan OR charge your camera or cell phone or laptop. And if you camp without power your going to want a battery eventually. $70 expense that is a long term investment.

Might add a small battery charger to items deryk suggested.

Best solution long term is one of the 12 volt Fantastic/MaxxAir vent fans, going to need a battery for that anyway.

An actual deep cycle battery (as opposed to a marine starting/deep cycle) will typically deliver better service as an RV electric source.

Consider a typical Group 27 110 amp hour deep cycle can deliver 1 amp for 55 hours before being discharged to the recommended max of 50% discharge. Or 2 amp for 27.5 hrs.

Assuming you get 8 hrs sleep and left the example 12 inch fan from the link on all night on a low setting you can expect three nights use without recharge. On high (max 3 amp draw) you might only get a single 8 hour night.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fan-tastic-endless-breeze-12v-fan/38132
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always one of these, for the price of a bag of ice you have about 4 hours of chill, works like a charm.
Amazon.com: 12 Volt 12v Portable Air Conditioner for Ice Cooler Chest: Automotive
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #26

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Door, rain, !
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #27

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I haven't had time to install a battery on the trailer yet, so I us a 12 volt .28 amp computer fan run off a 9 volt battery. I have one in the roof vent and one to help the propane cooler on hot days.

I have also looked a solar vents for boats, they are small, some close and some stay open all the time. No need for batteries or wires. I found one on the home depot website, haven't researched it yet, so can't say either way.

With lots on the to do list for now I have left this for later, interesting reading through everyone's solutions, the best part about delaying is often a better option is found.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote