Ventilation without power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Ventilation without power

I am guessing that this is an issue for most, which is the reason that Fantastic Fans are so popular. Even with a fantastic fan the air will travel between the windows in the rear and the ceiling hatch where the fan installs. this leaves the front of the cabin with no circulation.

We have a 13' Love Bug - 2 rear side windows that open and a ceiling vent. No window in the door. When we boondock we don't have power to run a fan (yet).

my question is...does anybody have a vent in the front end of your cabin that can be opened or closed to allow for a cross draft from front to back? If so please share. I am hoping not to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already addressed this issue.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
I am guessing that this is an issue for most, which is the reason that Fantastic Fans are so popular. Even with a fantastic fan the air will travel between the windows in the rear and the ceiling hatch where the fan installs. this leaves the front of the cabin with no circulation.

We have a 13' Love Bug - 2 rear side windows that open and a ceiling vent. No window in the door. When we boondock we don't have power to run a fan (yet).

my question is...does anybody have a vent in the front end of your cabin that can be opened or closed to allow for a cross draft from front to back? If so please share. I am hoping not to reinvent the wheel if someone else has already addressed this issue.

Yup, I have a pretty big vent in the front it's usually called a door. In some areas you might need a screen door to protect you from the bugs. Scamp has one that will probably work.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup mines the screen door as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Thanks to you both for the wonderful insight. Lol.. Do you leave your door open when it rains?

My main concern for air circulation is at night. Maybe when we get a new door we will install a screen door and definitely a window in the door.

I expect to be alone most of the time and would like to be able to close the door if I feel the need.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That is a problem for 13'ers that I'd never thought of. My former Burro had a front window that opened. I guess I would find a trailer inconvenient if it had no openings in front (besides the door). Perhaps it would be worthwhile to make a new vent hole in the forward area? My current trailer has 2 roof vents, one forward and one in the rear bath, and I have hoods over both so they can stay open even in rain.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Ventilation

That is one of the reasons we bought a Trillium, opening windows on all four sides.

In my boating days, I bought portholes that could be installed with screens. I don't see why these wouldn't work for eggs. Of course, you can always go to the mfgrs that make windows for RVs like Hehr.

Window Products

Another possibility would be a computer or other box fan propped in front of an existing window. Of course, this would require 120 vac. or not:

▷ Auto Vent Cooler Deluxe Just $12.95 - Your Store Online

Good luck. I know it can get stuffy fast in these little rigs.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Registry
I don't leave my door open in the rain. I put a couple of maxi vents on the sliding windows so they can be open in the rain. I think as you have a 13' you will not have a really big issue with no openings up front if you have a good roof fan & kitchen windows open. I have to keep my fan set on low even in the 16'. You could also get a cover for the fan to allow it to stay open in the rain.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you sleep in the back you should have at least 2 opening windows. Those and the roof vent provide quite a bit of ventilation at night. We also have a small window over the stove. That window will open in the rain.
No I don't leave the door open in the rain.
Almost all trailers I've been in that have a ceiling fan (Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir) don't get enough air through the without the fan running. As Carol says she has to keep it running most of the time. I don't have a ceiling fan and very rarely have I had ventilation problems.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Some computer fans are 12 volt and draw very little power. And small table top fans in 12 volt are also available. Seems like adding a battery and a couple of 12 volt plugs might be a more productive path to ventilation than adding a new vent.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
My 16' Scamp Side Dinette had a tiny window in the front of the bathroom that was great for this.
It was a crank up and could be left open in the rain and it provided a surprising amount of flow through it for the size.

It was also handy for looking out the front of the trailer at night which I miss now in a Casita.

I have also had trailers with 2 roof vents and the added flow of air without having to have any windows open was very nice too.

My favorite though were both Trillium' that I have had. With Jalousie windows all the way around there was always a great flow of air through them and of course unlike the newer Jalousie they open all the way across the window not just a tiny slice in the center.

It is nice to get the ventilation with no fan but not always practical.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fan powered by "D" batteries. At a recent vintage trailer rally one owner had a nice fan from Walmart that used flashlight batteries. Of course the downside to that is buying batteries. We have a Coleman fan/light/radio that is rechargeable. Battery fans also sold as "tent fan".
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Fan powered by "D" batteries. At a recent vintage trailer rally one owner had a nice fan from Walmart that used flashlight batteries. Of course the downside to that is buying batteries. We have a Coleman fan/light/radio that is rechargeable. Battery fans also sold as "tent fan".
Actually if the fan from Walmart is the same as I found it also has an input jack for external power!
I have mine rigged to plug right into 12vdc on a lighter plug and it will run forever on a battery jumping pack or the trailers lighter plug.

They are really a nice little fan.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #13

New York
The Walmart fan I saw was square, 10 or 12 inches, and had a base that folded. Batteries were in the base I believe. I don't know how long he has had it. Sometimes with Walmart after they sell out an item they don't restock.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Put a window in your door that you can leave open at night and in the rain.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #15

New York
Install an awning too.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Even with a fantastic fan the air will travel between the windows in the rear and the ceiling hatch where the fan installs. this leaves the front of the cabin with no circulation.
Air flow is not so linear. You don't have to install a fan to see it. Temporarily place a fan on the roof so it is sucking air from the roof vent. Open your windows, step inside, close the door and light a cigarette. Watch which way the smoke goes as you move around the trailer.

Yes, the flow in the front should be less than where there is a direct line between the window and vent. The direct line flow creates currents elsewhere. Less air flow does not mean dead air space.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
All,

Good to read everything from everyone.

I am a charter member of a "floating society" and I have been on the annual float trip 36 of the 42 years. In the early years I slept on the ground and later graduated to a tent and a therma-rest. Now, I use the Boler. Much, much easier, quicker, and more comfortable. While I use the Boler year-round this float trip is really the only extended (7 days or so) camp totally off grid. I have access to a generator but it kind of defeats the whole total immersion in nature thing (yeah, I know....I AM in a camper but still). The weather here in Missouri is extremely variable during the first of June and can range anywhere on the scale. This year the Boler and tow vehicle were on the highest spot and completely surrounded by flood waters ( Yeah, I should have known better)....other years I have been a hundred yards from the river. Temperatures have been as high as the upper, upper 80's at night.

As for fans; I have the Coleman tent ceiling fan. I use the magnetic base on the screen of the Boler's roof vent and turn it on low or high. It does a great job of pulling in the cool night air and four of us have always slept comfortably. The fan runs on D batteries and if the grandsons remember to turn it off the batteries will last the entire trip running the fan on high during the night. It also has a small, glowing night light that we keep on and still the batteries will make it thru the week (again, providing it is off during the day). I am not saying it is a perfect solution but it works for me. It is cheap but it would be nice if it could be reversed for exhaust as well as intake.

A couple of caveats..... during this trip I use the camper mainly as an easy to set up tent so only for sleeping..........AND that Ozark Moonshine helps you sleep regardless of the temperature ;-)

Just kidding about the last statement. Retiring at 0100 hours after an evening spent with old, old friends I have always slept well.

Borders of Clan Cumming

"Riot? What Riot? I just rode into town and saw all these cars burning and thought I would stop to help.........." a line from some unknown actor in a 1960-s "B" biker flick.
Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I use a fan, two speed, two C batteries, cost about $10 @ Target. Moves air well. Margaret
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 13 Scamp I put a fantastic fan in the front roof area and still have the factory escape hatch in the back area. With both vents open and the fan off there is a very good uplift between the 2 vents allowing heat to readily escape. I have an opening window in the door and a vent behind the stove in the front area. There are 3 opening slider windows in the sides of the trailer and in the rear sleep area. And of course with the door open and screen door provides even more. I have not had to leave the door open yet and if it cools down any at night I haven't had to run the fantastic fan. Out here in southern california we dont usually battle heat and humidity at the same time so all is working well. I use 2 small 30 watt solar pannels to keep my battery up to snuff. I haven't camped at a site yet that has 120 volt. this is my first spring/summer with this trailer. I am a happy camper with the way its working out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Almost all trailers I've been in that have a ceiling fan (Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir) don't get enough air through the without the fan running. As Carol says she has to keep it running most of the time.
I suspect my comment that I keep my fan on low was a bit misleading. What I meant to convey was I run the fan on low, as when its on high it moves to much air. I don't normally keep the fan running at night - not even when camping in the temps of high 90's to 100's as I was this week. I just keep all the windows and roof vents open.