Ventura trailer leaking at the seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Name: Holly
Trailer: 1973 Monarch Ventura
British Columbia
Ventura trailer leaking at the seams

I bought a 1973 Ventura trailer a year ago, but just now have the time and money to fix it up. I've gutted the entire inside down to the frame, as there was a lot of water damage. A significant amount of water is coming in at the seam between the top and bottom pieces of the trailer, and the wood strips on the inside are mostly black and rotted. Any suggestions on the best way to seal the seam to avoid any future leaking would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0450.jpg   IMG_0449.jpg  

IMG_0448.jpg   IMG_0447.jpg  

hollyjustholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
I am a brand new Ventura Owen myself,I'm gonna remove all the old sealant ,clean the seem really well and then reseal with a good sealant

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Dirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Looks to me like Ventura is one brand the mfr did not do as good of a job as they should have at glassing across the seam. Most other brands don't have this trouble.

That said, it should certainly be fixable and I'm glad these trailers are getting the TLC to bring them back to what they were meant to be.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

Name: Holly
Trailer: 1973 Monarch Ventura
British Columbia
My first thought was - why wasn't this seam fiberglassed over to prevent rot, and then I wondered if this is some kind of expansion or flexibility issue. Fiberglass does seem to be the obvious long term fix rather than caulking and sealing every year, but does anyone know if there is a good reason why the seam shouldn't be sealed with fiberglass?
hollyjustholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Look up belly band with the search engine, you will find many threads about repair techniques, and lots of advice
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Surfside TM-14
Registry
Holly, I have a 76 Ventura and found similar issues with mine when I started to repair it. I replaced the wood that was rotten. And rescrewed the top into the wood after removing the bellyband. I then used fiberglass cloth and epoxy to seal the halves together. As there was dips in the area I used fiberglass body filler to level and smooth out the band area. I did not reuse the band.
Luc Riezebos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura