Video on how to repack bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A poster "Bill" from another post supplied a link for purchasing a complete brake drum and on that site was a pretty good video of how to repack bearings and grease seals..... If your not completely sure this video is a "Must Watch".... the end was very good with a demonstration on how tight to tighten the holddown nut
Joe

Video:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-repack_tr..._bearings.aspx
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I have seen some of these wheel bearing repacking videos and would like to comment. As shown on these videos, the attention to keeping grease away from braking surfaces is not sufficient from my perspective. It truly doesn’t take much grease to contaminate frictional material and cleaning it is practically impossible. Most of the frictional materials are porous enough to soak up grease quickly. Using solvent to clean porous material just drives grease in deeper. Metal can be clean but I did not notice cleaning the inner surface of the drum before the final assembly. So, from my perspective, keep your grease fingers away from braking surfaces.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
George....
the guy in that video did alot of back yard mechanicking (if that's a word)LOL but most should know to use better tools and keep grease away from brake shoes...... He won't be doing my trailer anytime soon but i just wanted others to just get a close up view of how to re-pack the bearings and what it looks like inside a brake drum...... The right tool for the job is a must
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote