VIN number - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Mariusz Wolanin

I have a 1984 Scamp 13 feet. Can some one tell me where the VIN number is located on this type of trailer? Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
On my Burro it is located on top of the frame just behind the hitch. If you have trouble finding it, or it has been worn off, and you know the correct number, you can restamp it on the frame in a location the DMV can see easy. This has been discussed a few times on the forum.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982
We bought our Fiber Stream in Phoenix.
It had been built and was registered in California. The CA VIN number on the pink was "FS" followed by a bunch of zeros and the number "12."
Arizona DMV could not find the stamped VIN, so they issued us an AZ VIN after we posted a bond (essentially an insurance policy) and they queried CA to see if the trailer was on the hot sheet.
We stripped all the paint off the tongue and could find no evidence that anything had ever been stamped on the metal. There was a spot on the side of the trailer near the door where a sticker had been removed; perhaps that was the VIN.
We never did get the new VIN stamped on the frame. The only time it came up was when we crossed the border back into the U.S. and the Mexican authorities wanted to see the VIN on the trailer.
After that, we decided to keep "Li'l Cutie" stored in Tucson.
John Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
There was a spot on the side of the trailer near the door where a sticker had been removed; perhaps that was the VIN.
Greetings,
On my Fiber Stream the VIN "plate" is actually a thick tinfoil like sticker next to the amber (street) side marker light, glued to the fiberglass body, about the size of a business card. It lists the Manufacturer; "The Fiber Stream Company", of "Mira Loma, California", Date of Manufacture; "month: 3 year: 1978",and the VIN: [b]FS781041.

I also have a metal foil sticker near the door. It is a Seal of Compliance by the State of California, that the trailer was manufactured to code in force at the date of manufacture. The VIN ([b]FS-78-1041) is there, also.

I have heard that Burro & Scamp stamp their VIN's on the hitch, but not my Fiber Stream.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hello Mariusz

I've posted more than you probably want to know about Scamp VIN's on my web site. Go to http://scamp.n0kfb.org/ and click on "Scamp VIN Decoding". The page includes a description of where to find a VIN, and also a picture of a VIN on a trailer.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Name: Danny & Sheryl
Trailer: 1978 Amerigo 16 ft
Tennessee
Does anyone know where the vin is on a 1978 amerigo
Danny Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariusz Wolanin View Post
I have a 1984 Scamp 13 feet. Can some one tell me where the VIN number is located on this type of trailer? Thanks
Top of the tongue, right side (starboard)
Hand sand the paint off and it should magically appear.
It is hand done with welder's stamps and so may lack uniformity.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Name: Danny & Sheryl
Trailer: 1978 Amerigo 16 ft
Tennessee
I found my vin just behind the tounge on right side faceing it.1978 amerigo
Danny Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Trek
Kentucky
Registry
instead of a new post I thought I'd try to jump on this older thread since it seems the closest.

I have a 13ft boler and have some curiosity about the history (nothing bad just curious).
the serial number is on the tongue but that doesn't seem to help in researching the history because everything I've come across needs a 17 character VIN. I thought for some reason I saw something somewhere about it being made by Vanguard on the trailer but now can't find that. It's had several paint jobs and the model on the title says M2150 but that isn't pulling anything up on google.

what is a good way to research history of a specific trailer?
TeresaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
So you don't have a metal badge with the VIN to the left of the door? That was where the VIN on my 1979 boler 13 footer was.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
FWIW: 17 digit VIN's started around 1982. I had a 82 S-13 with an E serial number and a 82 S-16 with a 17 digit VIN.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #12

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
So you don't have a metal badge with the VIN to the left of the door? That was where the VIN on my 1979 boler 13 footer was.
is this it?
this is a completely different number than the tongue serial number
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpg  
Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #13

New Hampshire
Nope, that is the Recreational Vehicle Industry of America certification plaque showing your RV meets their standards of quality. I will see if I can get to the garage where my trailer is stored and take a picture of the badge.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Ok, I screwed up! The plate is on the side of the trailer opposite the door. Here is what it looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210310_124039102.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	139811
Old 03-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Yep my boler has a similar (but different) metal sticker to Alex's. The s/n is stamped on it. Driver side . No stamping on the frame. Mine's in pretty sad shape (after 47 years) but still legible.

It seems that serial numbers and markings for bolers varied greatly depending on the year and where they were manufactured.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #16

Kentucky
Registry
I don’t have anything like that that I can find
Old 03-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #17

New Hampshire
How many digits is the number on the tongue? How are you searching for the history?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #18

Kentucky
Registry
There are 6 numbers on the frame tongue.
Since the vin decorder required ~17 I just started goggling serial number RV search. And model # search but nothing really came up.
Is there a better way. I’m going this week to get tags and title where I’ve been and nothing was said about it except I needed a fire inspection which I just got.

Any idea where to search history with a serial # would be great. After I get the tag I may ask at the DMV if they can pull up something [after I get the tag��]
Old 03-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #19

New Hampshire
The six numbers on the tongue are the VIN number. In the past, you didn't have to have 17 digit VIN's. My VIN number, which I obscured in the picture, is 6 digits. Since records from those times were all paper, it is quite possible you will not be able to find the history of your trailer. The DMV will do their best to see if the VIN is flagged as stolen or is a duplicate but that is it.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #20

Kentucky
Registry
DMV was not able to give any history on the trailer, infact now it's registered as Trex not Trek because someone somewhere obviously made a typo and it couldn't easily be corrected...

Tags
license, registration, title, vin