vin number - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
vin number

Massachusetts is a non title state, that being said, does anyone know how to handle a situation when only part of the vin number is visable? I have a previous title from MN showing the entire vin. My concern is if I were to sell this great camper I might have a problem. Any thoughts will help. My state registration shows the entire vin. No one has bothered to check it. Mike.
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As mentioned by others, what is posted here should only serve as a guideline., check with your local DMV for current information.
That said: In CA the DMV will issue a new metal sticker with the complete VIN, or a new VIN, that can be attached to the frame.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Thanks Bob. In Massachusetts we don't think of the DMV as a place to go for help. But I think I'll give it a try. Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
mike, I'll have to look, but isn't the vin number in more than one place on Uhaul's. when I replaced the tongue on our teardrop, which is where the numbers were, I just used a set of number stamps and put the numbers on the new tongue. you can use my stamps if you want. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

I almost never go to the DMV in CA either, AAA does almost all of my DMV type business, but some tasks they can't handle and that is one of them.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #6

Massachusetts
vin's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
mike, I'll have to look, but isn't the vin number in more than one place on Uhaul's. when I replaced the tongue on our teardrop, which is where the numbers were, I just used a set of number stamps and put the numbers on the new tongue. you can use my stamps if you want. Bob
Bob: Borrowing your stamps might be the most practical way od taking care of this. Let me take a better look at tha uhaul to be sure I need them. I'll get back to you. thanks Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

You will need letters as well as numbers. This might be cheaper than borrowing. (Postage etc.)
Number Stamps - Harbor Freight Tools

Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Not all of my vin was visible when I took it to the DMV here in CA. The nice DMV inspector actually sent me to Harbor Freight(even told me how to get there). Said to stamp the whole vin on the other side of the tongue and come back. I was worried when I got back as he was at lunch. Another inspector came out and approved it.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is only to be used for those that have the actual VIN and can't find it or only a partial. Buy one of these, stamp it with Harbor Freight's tools, scuff it up and then affix it to the frame somewhere: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...b0f372ae24d9ca No one would know it's not original. But please remember, honesty counts! And I think $6 is cheap compared to the aggravation of dealing with....
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

New York
After looking at our Uhaul for VIN numbers, I find that ours are also incomplete. Ours has the numbers on the bottom of the front window frame, on the left side near the front reflector, and what looks like the remains of a decal on the lower rear. The front and side numbers are partially gone, one set is missing a few digits at the beginning, the other set is missing a few at the rear. I'm going to look into the tag that Donna shows, stamp the complete VIN on it and attach it somewhere. I have to get a letter set of stamps, only have the numbers. There are places I found with a Google search that will make a VIN tag. Only time I found this to be an issue is when I bought two trailers for my daughter who lives in Connecticut. Had to take them to a DMV location so that an inspector could look and verify the numbers to be correct. Bob
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
the inside of the door under the sink also has a vin on the uhaul....the inspector here in CT knew right where to look for it. My outside vin decal was also hard to read. I may buy one of those plates and stamp one for future use.
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #12

New York
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;301448]You will need letters as well as numbers. This might be cheaper than borrowing. (Postage etc.)

Mike lives 30 minutes from me. I just ordered a couple of those tags, thanks Donna for that info, hope they are a reliable company. Bruce, thanks for that location info, I'm going to go look on ours. Bob
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Fantastic responce everyone. thankyou. bob, I'll be in touch soon. again thanks. Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

New York
Bruce: I checked our Uhaul, no numbers inside that door under the sink. Bob
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
mine has a big tag there with a bunch of info......I guess they're not all the same.
Either way i'd stamp a plate if I ever needed one.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
vin #

Hi Folks,

On my CT, I found the VIN # in 3 places. One was stamped on the side of the tongue, the second was on a gummed label behind the door on the inside the cubby hole above the sink. And the 3rd was beneath the trailer at the rear. There was a coccoon looking thing that actually had a paper label (similar to a registration) that showed MFG date, where it was built, and the VIN #. Hope that might help somebody.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
.........There was a coccoon looking thing that actually had a paper label (similar to a registration) that showed MFG date, where it was built, and the VIN #. Hope that might help somebody.

Marty D
Mine has a tube welded just forward of the bumper with plastic plugs in each end. Inside is a clear plastic tube with the original registration carefully rolled up, like a little time capsule.

Tags
vin