VIN on '81 Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
I hate to post a question that has been answered before (and I think I read this answer once before I needed it), but I am still stuck in the driveway because I can't find a VIN on my 1981 Burro! Yes, I have the title with the VIN and all the info filled in proper, but since it is from out of state, Indiana won't title or license without a police officer affidavit that the VIN on title is the same as on trailer. The tongue has a fair amount of rust and some angle iron reinforcement on the bottom/sides of the V of the tongue. And the crank support (don't remember the real name for it) has been welded up higher with a piece of steel plate at the top of the tongue junction. Is it possible that the VIN is on the bottom or side of the tongue or near the crank/support thing and was covered up in the welding? Where is the VIN usually? This Burro was a kit made in MN, if that makes a difference.
The police officer was very nice when I asked if I could haul it as is. He said HE has never pulled over a trailer to check the license plate, but if someone did pull me over they would impound the trailer (since the MN plates are not mine) as possibly stolen!

The alternative will be to make an appointment with Stolen Vehicles for an inspection at their facility and eventually get a new VIN issued, which I will then have to have embossed in the trailer and then get a second inspection. The process sounds like it will take a month or two!! What good is THAT?!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the VIN on my 1980 13 footer was stamped on the INSIDE of the tongue on the curb side of the rig.

So, if you stand on the street side and look IN to the opposite side, you may see whats left of it. Mine had the tongue repaired and it was obscured, but it did have a California VIN plate on it as well... not much help for your situation, but...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
the VIN on my 1980 13 footer was stamped on the INSIDE of the tongue on the curb side of the rig.

So, if you stand on the street side and look IN to the opposite side, you may see whats left of it. Mine had the tongue repaired and it was obscured, but it did have a California VIN plate on it as well... not much help for your situation, but...
My 81' had the VIN stamped ( very lightly) on the top streetside near the hitch almost at the weld for the hitch. Get a strong light and shine it at different angles. It started with a B and had about 6 numbers
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 82 Burro
I had the same problem when I bought my '82 Burro 5 years ago. The Colorado State Highway Patrol had to show me where the VIN is stamped. Almost invisible.

Look on the top part of the tongue, street side. Mine is stamped about half way between the tip of the hitch receiver and the front of the body of the trailer. It's 8 digits long, starts with a B and ends with a K.

Hope that helps.
Shirley
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here's a photo that shows where the VIN should be located... this is on an '87 widebody 17', but it should be in the same location:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VIN_location.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	20262

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Wow, thanks for posting this. I was just about to sand and paint my frame on my burro and hadn't even thought about checking it for the VIN. I'll have to be careful about that now, thanks (and mine is in the same place as your photo Roger, very helpful).
John H.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Thanks for the response and for the photo. I have looked very carefully and can't see the numbers yet. But I keep thinking the rust in certain spots looks a LITTLE like numbers! I am getting a jar of naval jelly, some paint remover and emery paper to look more thoroughly. Thanks to you all I know where to start removing paint and rust!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
I too thank everybody because I may soon be a Burro owner and will need this information. This group is such a wonderful resource!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, license, registration, title, vin