Vintage Casita window replacement / rebuild questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Vintage Casita window replacement / rebuild questions

Well shoot y'all. We were going pretty good on our Casita rebuild and just hit a brick wall... All this rain in Texas has been a blessing and a curse but has clearly pointed out we need new windows.

Now we need to track down or replace our leaky windows in our 1994 Casita 16' camper.

I assumed that the windows on the Casita web store would work and they won't because they are slightly different sizes AND different curve. If they were just larger I would cut out the window larger, but I'm afraid if the curve is different then that won't work.

Hehr International is the company that makes the windows for Casita and I called their distributer (Parkin Accessories), the fella on the phone sounded like he took a little pleasure in telling me that they "probably don't even make those anymore", but instructed me to remove the windows to find a part number on the inside. If they were able to locate new windows it would be 4-6 weeks before I could get them.

So, now I'm in a little pickle as I don't really have a dry place to put the camper for 6 weeks waiting on windows that may or may not be available.

Looking at the windows it looks like they could be rebuilt using plexi glass, if I could find proper gasket material between the glass and the frame.

I did try searching using the forum search tool but every thread that had "window" keyword showed up... Anyone know good threads on window rebuilding?

Anyone else with a vintage casita replace windows? did you have luck finding them?

saucesquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucesquatch View Post
Well shoot y'all. We were going pretty good on our Casita rebuild and just hit a brick wall... All this rain in Texas has been a blessing and a curse but has clearly pointed out we need new windows.

Now we need to track down or replace our leaky windows in our 1994 Casita 16' camper.

I assumed that the windows on the Casita web store would work and they won't because they are slightly different sizes AND different curve. If they were just larger I would cut out the window larger, but I'm afraid if the curve is different then that won't work.

Hehr International is the company that makes the windows for Casita and I called their distributer (Parkin Accessories), the fella on the phone sounded like he took a little pleasure in telling me that they "probably don't even make those anymore", but instructed me to remove the windows to find a part number on the inside. If they were able to locate new windows it would be 4-6 weeks before I could get them.

So, now I'm in a little pickle as I don't really have a dry place to put the camper for 6 weeks waiting on windows that may or may not be available.

Looking at the windows it looks like they could be rebuilt using plexi glass, if I could find proper gasket material between the glass and the frame.

I did try searching using the forum search tool but every thread that had "window" keyword showed up... Anyone know good threads on window rebuilding?

Anyone else with a vintage casita replace windows? did you have luck finding them?
In the meantime pushing some plumbers putty into gaps will help. It is easy to remove when you get the new seals but it will last for years if need be. . Roll small pieces of it between your palms to warm and soften it. This is the stuff you put under the faucets you mount and under the rim of sinks you are installing. It is meant to stop water. I use a popsicle stick or wood cuticle stick to press it into the gaps. It will do no harm.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks Corbin, I think that is a good idea in a pinch, and I have plenty laying around from past projects!

I ended up pulling the window last night and taking it apart, it actually doesn't look to complicated to rebuild but I'm sure there is a trick to sitting that gasket in properly.

Here is the gasket removed, I thought I would need a U shape but it's actually more like an L with a curve, then a slight lip to lock in.

now I'm on the hunt for the proper gasket material, any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Texas
Well, after some searches I found that it's not a gasket but a "Glazing Bead". More specifically to my application it's Hehr 1/8 Glazing Bead because they are Hehr windows.

So, I ordered 30 feet, this should give me enough for the front and back windows and at least one smaller (hopefully two).

I'll post up how the rebuild goes!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #5

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Glazing Beads

Quote:
Well, after some searches I found that it's not a gasket but a "Glazing Bead". More specifically to my application it's Hehr 1/8 Glazing Bead because they are Hehr windows.

So, I ordered 30 feet, this should give me enough for the front and back windows and at least one smaller (hopefully two).

I'll post up how the rebuild goes!
I used windshield sealant on the inside piece,it's not cheap$32
I pretty sure i have some of the glazing also,I bought to much.
We used a roller simular to the type for storm windows
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B. View Post
I used windshield sealant on the inside piece,it's not cheap$32
I pretty sure i have some of the glazing also,I bought to much.
We used a roller simular to the type for storm windows
Thanks Eddie, I did order some window sealant and it was pricey, hopefully one tube does it for both windows.

I cleaned up all the old crud and scraped the sealant out of the old window, washed it up a just hit it with a coat of spray paint. Waiting for that to dry but I'm happy with how things are coming along.

I cut it on the table saw, pretty easy to cut, just went slow, lots of chips flying off.

Used the old plexi as a template and cut the corners on the bandsaw, I'm sure a jigsaw would work just as well

dry fit and everything is looking good.

Now just waiting for the paint to dry to seal them in.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Casita windows

Quote:
Thanks Eddie, I did order some window sealant and it was pricey, hopefully one tube does it for both windows.

I cleaned up all the old crud and scraped the sealant out of the old window, washed it up a just hit it with a coat of spray paint. Waiting for that to dry but I'm happy with how things are coming along.

I cut it on the table saw, pretty easy to cut, just went slow, lots of chips flying off.

Used the old plexi as a template and cut the corners on the bandsaw, I'm sure a jigsaw would work just as well

dry fit and everything is looking good.

Now just waiting for the paint to dry to seal them in.
Looks Good
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #8

Texas
Thanks Eddie!

The window sealant was a little tough to work with, squeezing caulk gun took quite a bit of force, I guess there is special guns to use, mine is just a regular one from a big box store.

The only tricky bit was to not get the sealant everywhere, it is TACKY! A little goes a long way and I learned that cutting the plexi a little smaller than exact fit works in your favor. Once I dropped the glass in place I just pushed around the edge and you see the seal through the glass grab.

Real happy with how it turned out, much simpler than I thought it would be. The glazing bead went in nice and easy, shout out to RV parts center .com who I ordered from on Tuesday and it was here Friday.

I installed back on the Casita, no pictures there because it was getting dark and I wanted to get it set up. I did run a line of butyl tape since the gasket was not doing it's job, then a round of elastomeric caulk outside of that.

Tags
casita, vin