VW new beetle owner wanting to start towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Take a look at the Dorsett I just posted Dosett Teardrop
Don't know the specs on it as it is not even in Google, but a teardrop liteweight deal.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #16

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They made hitches for the old bugs years ago and I saw people in Europ towing campers bigger than the bugs but doing it slow, It would be quite easy to over max the capability of the small car so it would have to b something small.

U might want to check with The Department Of Transportation b cause they make the rules on everything that travels on the roads from tires, light bulbs, windshields etc and it must be DOT approved. C if they have something to say bout tow limits on your BUG.

We have a teardrop dealer in Fredericksburg, VA. If there is an interest, I will get a phone number the next time I go over that way.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Just to add more mud to the water, isn't it true that North American VW (Beetle, Jetta, Golf) are made in Mexico vs. European ones made in Germany? Structurally, the Mexican and European beetles may not even be the same vehicle.
While U.S. VW products may well be made in Mexico (VW has a large production capacity in Mexico), I have never heard of a fundamental design variation by market in any recent VW range... although of course they could exist. Details certainly vary, including (for instance) suspension stiffness, which is one reason why I don't think European limits can be blindly applied in North America... at least some careful comparison is in order.

The plate on the car will say where it was made. For what it's worth, the U.S.-centric Wikipedia New Beetle entry lists Puebla, Mexico as the only assembly location for the car.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #18

Alberta
Just by coincidence, I was recently in an RV dealership where the owner had a few model cars on display, including two sets of tug and trailer - both trailers were Pucks, and the tow vehicles were an old Porsche and an old VW bus. It's not by coincidence that Heidi's asking about the Puck; it is apparently quite popular with VW owners.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #19

Alberta
Quote:
Eriba Pucks surface on Ebay periodically - seem to sell for $2500-$3500. They weigh around 700 lbs...
Trailer designs only seem to get heavier with time, and according to a brochure the lightest current version of the Puck weighs 470 kg (1034 lb) dry, and 500 kg (1100 lb) in running order... and that's still without water or cargo. I would be careful to check the weight of any specific unit being considered.

Information about the current Puck (part of the Touring line) and other Eriba RVs is available from the website of the manufacturer, currently Hymer AG. Thanks to Andrew Gibbens for the Hymer connection (which he posted in another forum).

The Puck seems very close in dimensions, including weight, to the classic 13' fiberglass eggs.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #20

Trailer: ***
Quote:
Hello,

I'm new to the group, and looking to learn. I have an 03 VW new beetle and want to start towing, I have considered teardrops, T@Bs, and others- now looking to learn about what the best, most suitable/safe egg shell would be (if at all), also info on the Eriba Puck is welcome.
Thanks,
As you can see, you won't be the first towing an Eriba Puck with a new Beetle...

Click image for larger version

Name:	puck_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	11788

These photos (taken by Eddie Miller) show a Puck at the February 2006 Arizona Roundup used by two gentlemen who had nothing but enthusiasm about the Beetle's ability to tow the ~780 pound trailer.

You might want to keep a sharp eye out on http://www.thesamba.com for a Puck --- they come up for sale regularly [b](there were 4 for sale just moments ago). Good luck in your hunt - I've found that part of "it" to be a LOT of fun too!
Attached Thumbnails
puck_2.jpg  
Old 09-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hello,

I'm new to the group, and looking to learn. I have an 03 VW new beetle and want to start towing, I have considered teardrops, T@Bs, and others- now looking to learn about what the best, most suitable/safe egg shell would be (if at all), also info on the Eriba Puck is welcome.
Thanks,
Thanks everyone for you input, lots of information to consider.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
The Samba Classifieds are a good place to look for Pucks.

HERE is one currently on that looks reasonable at $3900. They are never cheap, even for really trashed ones because of the collectors interest.

I have no idea if this one is still available, the ad was updated in July and may very well be gone, but it is a good example of a nice unit.