Walmart experiences? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Missed the point

Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Hi Norm,
Some people want to always stay in a campground and pay pay pay and did I say pay. Others will sleep a few hours in Rest Areas, Walmart parking lots, truck stops without paying. When we're traveling from point to point for more than a 1 day trip, I sleep 5 to 7 hours. Somehow it just doesn't set right to pay 40 to 60 dollars, somewhere closet to 10 dollars per hour to sleep for few hours.
Batdude mentioned there were no campgrounds open indicating he was interested in open campgrounds. I was responding to that statement by stating their are open campgrounds.. I know all the alternatives but usually choose not to use them in negative weather situations.

I have never paid $50 or 60 to camp anywhere. Actually on our way South we're typically in Passport America parks or state parks, like in MD that offer half price camping to seniors. Though I'm not as frugal as you are we are careful, since we're often on the road over 300 days of the year.

Unlike many we never stay in a campground for only 6 hours to sleep. We typically only drive 4 hours a day so we're in the campground for 18-20 hours, or at least our trailer is while we explore the area.

We typically don't destination drive (trying to get some place); we enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I know we're crazy slow drivers that have taken 18 weeks to get from NH to Florida. The wild horses in Assateague, the beaches of Chesapeake bay, the Outer banks, the streets of Charleston, SC, are all part of our drift south. Honestly who cares if we spend a few dollars at Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC?

We just travel differently than many. We really don't spend a lot. In the last 15 years we've camped close to 4,000 wonderful nights spending from $5 to $30 (mostly in the $20 or less range).

There are many different camping styles. Many people pick a destination and make it the driven target, It's just not us. Probably part of the reason we don't typically travel with others. This makes us curious about the NL Caravan, our first trip with others.

I will say the NL Caravan has no days that are more than 150 miles, at least for the Caravan leaders.

Byron, please know I'm not opposed to your frugality, I respect it. It's not us, we're different. I was trying to help the OP.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #30
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Wal-Mart has a corporate policy to allow overnight RV parking, however, not only do some towns prohibit overnight parking in any parking lots, as many of the newer Wal-Marts are part of larger shopping centers, it is often the shopping center owners that prohibit overnight parking. 1. Always ask, it's the polite thing to do and, 2. If you come across a "No Overnight Parking" sign, ask anyway, many times the signs are there to comply with local ordinances, but they are not enforced.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #31
Name: Greg
Trailer: Burro
Two years ago we stopped for the night and the Meijer in Cincinatti Ohio let us park near the garden department and we were fine. In the morning we got up and went inside to use the restroom and buy a coffee and got back on the road! It was October, but we were plenty warm and didn't need water or the porta potty!
gbeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #32
Name: Greg
Trailer: Burro
Btw, we called the manager from the car to get his permission.
gbeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #33
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A lot of that seems to make sense, except..... Some places have ordinances against overnight parking in parking lots. Rather than getting rousted out of bed a 4:00am and told I have to move, asking is a lot easier and could save that rude awaking.

Also they are kind enough to let you sleep in their parking lot I can be kind enough to let them know I'm there by asking permission.
Never been "rousted". Never seen a place where it was prohibited and not posted.
As for kindness... I have written corporate to express my appreciation for their overnight policy and to RSVP the invitation.
You go ahead ask every time,nothing wrong in that. It might also be wise to encourage the policy by making corporate aware that you appreciate it.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #34
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita Indy.
On the road with a winterized trailer water is not really an issue. I carry a couple of gallon jugs of water and a gallon of antifreeze. Use what water you need and chase it down the drain with antifreeze for the traps and holding tank. A spray container with water is the best way to rinse the toilet bowl. Wiping the inside the toilet bowl down with Rain-x before the trips helps keep the bowl cleaner and easier to rinse.

Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #35
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Speaking to the manager!!!

Hi: All... Our first stay at a Cracker Barrel, I asked the hostess if I could speak to the manager. She said "Stand over there and I'll call you a manager". When he approached I asked "Are you the manager"? Yes was his reply. I said "That's funny so am I". He looked puzzled so I explained what the hostess had said. We both laughed and he said "Of course you can stay!!! I'll get you a radio pack".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #36
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Hi Alf---what is this radio pack the manager got for you????

oh...excuse me....Manager Alf, that is!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #37
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD

You didn't mention the routes you will taking but there's Mayberry Campground in Mt. Airy NC.
Just inside NC off I-77 and they list $33.50 per night plus tax. We've stayed there a few times. Easy access, hot showers and full hookups including cable TV and wifi.

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote