Want to install fan but hatch is weird size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp 13
Utah
Want to install fan but hatch is weird size

So for some reason I thought our 83 13' Scamp had a standard hatch/vent size and ordered a Maxxfan with rain cover. Today as I was in the trailer I realized that it isn't the common 14x14 size but is in fact 14x21. I have searched and can only find one thread discussing this and it seems that cutting a new hole was the best option.

My problem is the best area to cut a new hole is up front over there front bunk but that is where I am putting 2 60 watt solar panels. Would it be ok to cut a new hole towards the back a few inches off the hatch? It looked like 6 inches apart and then 14 inches would fit before it starts to curve too much downward. Any other viable options?
jeckel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Josh, the current vent in your Scamp is an egress hatch and should have a red handle(?). There are owners that have separated the two vents (old and powered) by about a foot. The best is one at the rear of the trailer and the other near the front (for better ventilation). Could you possible mount the solar panels between the two vents if installed in this manner?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Utah
Correct it has the red handle.

It may be possible. I was hoping to avoid putting the panels by the vent to prevent shadows from falling on the panels and reducing the amount of power the panels pull in.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you're putting solar panels on the roof 2 60 Watt panels would probably be needed. However if you A-frame just one 60 Watt panel you should have enough solar power to keep your battery charged by moving it around to follow the sun. I have a single 65 Watt panel that is more than enough for my needs. My needs are quite small and I'm working on reducing power consumption even more. The biggest draw in my Scamp is the furnace blower. Most lighting is with CCFL (cold cathode florescent light). I'll probably replace everything with LEDs.

Depending on how cold it is I can go 3 to 6 days without charging my batteries. I try to set the panel out at least every 3rd day. Most of the charging happen while driving. If you mostly camp on week-ends you don't really need anything except the charge line in the tow vehicle.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

Utah
We are going to be fulltiming next year so putting them on the roof is a must. Also a fan is a must for some of the places we will be. It is more a matter of how to orient everything.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
This is just a thought but I've been thinking of putting a solar panel attached to my stone guard over the front window. I would also try and make some sort of material cover for the panel when traveling. I'm not sure how big/heavy a 60wt panel is , maybe too big for the stone guard. Now that I think about it , yours would probably be better on the roof.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote