Want to purchase awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Want to purchase awning

I've been reading a lot of posts about awnings for FG eggs........some are very disappointing to read. Anyone out there recently buy an awning for a small (13') camper that they are happy with? Does the awning rail come with the awning? Does your awning allow for side walls to be added? Thanks for all of your feedback!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Have you considered a freestanding awning rather than an attached awning? We use a simple 10x10 straight-leg FirstUp. We carry ours on the front sofa en route and it is one of the first things we unload (along with our stand-alone ice chest).

ADV: no installation or holes in fiberglass, better aerodynamics, flexible placement, sturdy, side curtains and bug nets can be added, available at WalMart & sporting goods stores, inexpensive, guy ropes usually not needed (just stakes), can use for other things between trips

DIS: takes up space inside trailer en route, may be too short for door to clear when placed right beside trailer, doesn't seal out rain between awning & trailer, lacks the "cute" factor

There have been a lot of discussions on the merits of both arrangements on this forum. My observation is that people who camp a lot in wet conditions favor an attached awning; those who don't are split.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

Montana
First up is the name of your tent?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thats a good point, I nned to take the minimum height to open my door...if the ez-up style doesnt fit I wont do it....i could sew a strip of canvas to the awning to tie it to the roof for protection in the rain.... sidewalls could be nice

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I sewed a little extension for our King Canopy to connect it to the Trillium. It is just a mini awning with the usual rope that slides along a rail on the camper. The outer edge has Velcro that sticks to the bottom of the canopy. We find it handy as it means the canopy doesn't need to be as close to the door.

I tried to attach a photo but was unsuccessful. The site seemed to want a URL and the photo is on my desktop. The only other option I could see was for a video!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
click the icon of the paperclip to attach photo's

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Thank you - I KNEW there was a way to attach photos but couldn't remember it! This was taken earlier this spring in the Alberta foothills. Lovely little lake a few steps from our picnic table that our inflatable enjoyed exploring. We had some strong wind for a while and that is why there are extra lines on the canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP9130_edited-1.jpg  
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
First up is the name of your tent?
I think so, but I'm not positive. I'll check tomorrow if I get a moment. I know we bought it at Walmart. You can see pics of ours in my registry. There are a number of similar products out there at many local retailers. One thing to watch out for though - the cheapest ones are usually "slant leg" models - not so good (less coverage & you can't attach sides). Look for "straight leg" types. A decent quality one should be $90-$120.

Regarding door clearance… we have yet to use ours right next to the trailer. We set up an outdoor kitchen under it, which we prefer to have away from the trailer. Some people indicated they use bed risers to raise them enough for the door to clear, but I'm not sure how they anchor them in that case.

EDIT - First Up is correct.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
I did a little google searching and did find a company that makes extension's for the legs 12 and 24" but its like $60 for a set of 4.... Some of those ez-ups are taller then others.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
IMO, a vintage style rope & pole awning, or Bag awnings would be my absolute first choice. That way, there is no water leakage between the trailer and awning.
A Bag awnings stays on the trailer all the time, and has the poles/ropes attached to the awning's leading edge. Very easy to put up.

This photo is my trailer with my rope & pole awning. It takes me all of 5 minutes to set it up by myself. It packs small, and I love it. I installed a white awning rail using butyl tape and rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
RALLY TRAILER.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Want to purchase awning

I'll have to admit, Pam, yours has the cute factor sewed up! (pun intended)
Old 06-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah its why I went the same route but sewed mine myself!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0033.jpg  

Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #13

Montana
Derek,

Did you make that screen door? Looks nice....

Pam,

Love your setup! Do you take it down at night in case of storms? Or does it handle small winds ok?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #14

Montana
Pam.......how wide is your awning? And how long?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Linda, but no the door came with the ParkLiner! Its awesome, I have a real thin green tribal print fabric that I use as a curtain on the door so it gives a little privacy while inside.

My awning is about 11'6" by about 8' long. Its not perfect, but I'm not complaining too much lol. There will be another one eventually lol. I need to setup and take a picture with my new table, ground mat and chair....prolly this weekend, I'm heading to Herkimer NY.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
As far as free standing pop-up units, this one is way cool. I bought this and removed my factory installed awning outright. It's called the CLAM 1660. They also make pop-up ice fishing tents as well, and they are very well made. Sets up in 1 minute by 1 person. Goes down for storage just as easily.

Link: Six Pack 1660 Mag Screen Tent
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

Montana
Casita Greg,

Have you used the wind panels? Looks like they Velcro on..no zippers......the tent doesn't turn into a sail? Looks cool!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
As far as free standing pop-up units, this one is way cool. I bought this and removed my factory installed awning outright. It's called the CLAM 1660. They also make pop-up ice fishing tents as well, and they are very well made. Sets up in 1 minute by 1 person. Goes down for storage just as easily.

Link: Six Pack 1660 Mag Screen Tent

That's pretty cool. Love the video showing the folks struggling with another style of canopy in the background, and the wife that abandons the husband.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #19

Montana
Casita Greg...

Just checked website and they are out of stock. They did list two local dealers (Big Bear and Cabelas) so I'm going to try and check them out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I saw the same thing on their web site. Googled it and came up with multiple sources to purchase it and for a bit less $.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning