No vin on play pac= no title=no regiatratuin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
No vin on play pac= no title=no regiatratuin

Here I sit at theft investigation and they tell me that they can't find the vin so there is no way to ID it. So pretty much I am out of luck. Any ideas what I can do???!!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
check the trailer tongue - Steve found the VIN on mine (that i just bought from him) by going out there with a steel wool pad and 'sanding' the paint off ... your VIN might also have been painted over by now. as to exactly where - i do not know (he just said on the trailer tongue).

sorry i dont have more, but i know you are in a pickle and hope this might help.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Thanks Paul. We sanded all the paint off the tongue and have found nothing
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
hey Meghan,
i just heard back from Steve after asking him about the specific location. i cut and paste what he said:

"The VIN is on the passenger side of the hitch (Y), on top. It is about 4 fingers in front of the trailer body on the square tubing that makes up the frame. It will probably take light sanding to make it visible."

cant guarantee it will be the same on yours our others - but just maybe!!!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
what about a salvage title?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

New York
Registry
There Is a vin on a salvaged vehicle. And it needs to actually be salvaged.... With receipts to prove it. And it is only to get a title. Has nothing to do with getting a Vin, because they already have one
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Ok so we looked in all the suggested places. How's this look???? Should something be here??? Does it look like the stamped info in the pic on the top of the tongue?
Attached Thumbnails
image-4113577217.jpg   image-355648290.jpg  

image-2037811800.jpg   image-590263333.jpg  

Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
Here I sit at theft investigation and they tell me that they can't find the vin so there is no way to ID it. So pretty much I am out of luck. Any ideas what I can do???!!
Some trailers from the seventies had all their VIN and build info on a PAPER glued to the inside of a cabinet door! When the door is gone what can you do?
If you have a legitimate title and it has the VIN on it, you might consider using a set of welder's stamps to miraculously "find" the numbers stamped into the top of the frame on the starboard side just behind the hitch. Sanding the paint off that area might be what "reveals" them under further "scrutiny"
Scamp actually uses standard welder's stamps.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

New York
Registry
I need the vin to apply for a title. Haven't found any papers on doors
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
It might be under that expanded metal tray..did you look there?

Do you have the VIN that's on the salvage paperwork? If so stamp it on like suggested above ...or go to another DMV office and see what they say. I go by the idea that "I keep talking to different people till I get the answer I want" especially with government employees.

Edited to add..I see you need a VIN...make one up and stamp it on!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
When you bought the trailer was there no transfer of ownership document or TOD or Pink Slip as Americans call it? I would never buy a vechicle with out the proper paperwork. I have heard of too many stolen vechicles being sold with out paperwork and you are the to go to jail for possion of stolen goods.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #12

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
It might be under that expanded metal tray..did you look there?

Do you have the VIN that's on the salvage paperwork? If so stamp it on like suggested above ...or go to another DMV office and see what they say. I go by the idea that "I keep talking to different people till I get the answer I want" especially with government employees.

Edited to add..I see you need a VIN...make one up and stamp it on!
I am fairly sure that is illegal. I have called many offices, and did what each one tells me to do...until I hit a wall like the one that says "You MUST have a VIN to enter on this paper"
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
When you bought the trailer was there no transfer of ownership document or TOD or Pink Slip as Americans call it? I would never buy a vechicle with out the proper paperwork. I have heard of too many stolen vechicles being sold with out paperwork and you are the to go to jail for possion of stolen goods.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Rick, I called DMV first and they told me I could do it. But as I went through all the steps I get to this one that says I must have a VIN stamped on the camper.
Also, the metal tray would need to be removed with a plasma cutter, but we checked all around it
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Also, the metal tray would need to be removed with a plasma cutter, but we checked all around it
An angle grinder would work too.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I am fairly sure that is illegal. I have called many offices, and did what each one tells me to do...until I hit a wall like the one that says "You MUST have a VIN to enter on this paper"
That wouldn't stop me from doing it unless I thought the trailer wasn't really mine (stolen not recovered). Been there done that when I bought a stolen trailer (it did have a VIN).

What in the heck do the people you bought it from say? Maybe they can apply for a lost title and then transfer it to you. Did they ever hold title?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #16

New York
Registry
Quote:
An angle grinder would work too.
I was told "maybe, but we might destroy more than we want to"
Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #17

New York
Registry
Quote:
That wouldn't stop me from doing it unless I thought the trailer wasn't really mine (stolen not recovered). Been there done that when I bought a stolen trailer (it did have a VIN).

What in the heck do the people you bought it from say? Maybe they can apply for a lost title and then transfer it to you. Did they ever hold title?
It is illegal to just stamp a random VIN and I could go to jail for it. How do I even pick a VIN if I wanted to do that, how do I know that it dosent show up as stolen with my randomly picked VIN?
The people I bought it from said it sat in their barn for 10 years and it came with the barn when she bought it from an estate and they have n paperwork for it. It was last registered in 1982
Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #18

Registry
Well I don't know what to tell you then. You have bought a trailer that you can't use unless someone gets creative or finds something that will appease the DMV gods. I hate it when people have this problem!

At this point I wouldn't be afraid of using a grinder, what do you have to loose. Just go slow and don't use a heavy hand.

What is on the "paperwork", anything you can use? How did they know it was last registered in 1982? Is there a possibility you can register it as a "home built" trailer? In some states that is fairly easy to do.

*sigh* Note to everyone reading this...DON"T BUY A TRAILER WITHOUT THE PROPER PAPER WORK!!!! If you think something is amiss, it probably is, have the seller go the the DMV with you. If they won't pass it by. I know we all get excited to find a trailer and "over look common sense".
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #19

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth
Well I don't know what to tell you then. You have bought a trailer that you can't use unless someone gets creative or finds something that will appease the DMV gods. I hate it when people have this problem!

At this point I wouldn't be afraid of using a grinder, what do you have to loose. Just go slow and don't use a heavy hand.

What is on the "paperwork", anything you can use? How did they know it was last registered in 1982? Is there a possibility you can register it as a "home built" trailer? In some states that is fairly easy to do.

*sigh* Note to everyone reading this...DON"T BUY A TRAILER WITHOUT THE PROPER PAPER WORK!!!! If you think something is amiss, it probably is, have the seller go the the DMV with you. If they won't pass it by. I know we all get excited to find a trailer and "over look common sense".
There is a way to do it. It happens all the time. I wouldn't steer people away from it, just make sure you know what you are in for. I searched and alot if people here have done it. I just need to locate the VIN
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #20

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth

It has plates on it with the 1982 reg sticker. Home built requires receipts for the parts I built it with

Tags
vin