Wasp/hornet spray for self defense - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
IIRC, I did not see a statement that insecticides cause immediate death or that their use is considered deadly force. I did see a statement to the effect that death could result from exposure in the medium term. Also,blindness. All the more reason to get upwind of your assailant. Probably a good idea with other caustic preparations ready at hand.

jack
Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I think the wasp spray is excellent idea and some of them shoot 15 to 20 away. I cant honestly think of any jury that would put a woman in jail for protecting herself. As Tom said a little lead poison, 45 caliber kind, wouldnt hurt either. But if you dont want to put a person down at least discourage them with a bad taste in their mouth and burning eyes. I am going to recommend that to my SO to have around.
Good thread.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I don't travel with dogs but have heard that their gas can be a deadly weapon.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I don't travel with dogs but have heard that their gas can be a deadly weapon.
By far the most dangerous part of our greyhound. Love that Fantastic fan.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #25

Delaware
Francesca, dead is dead, not down or out of commission or in agony or unconscious but dead. Fists can be deadly weapons. I'm not going to rank "deadly weapons" for you in order of effectiveness. You're free to do so if you wish.

jack
Old 03-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not use Coca Cola? Seems to work for everything else.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #27

Delaware
You're welcome, Carol. Strictly FYI. I got nothing to sell. A heads up while there is time to think and consider.

jack
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Why not use Coca Cola? Seems to work for everything else.
Hummm not sure about straight up coca cola but it in combo with a good rum it certainly has been know to demobilize people. But due to the amount of time it normally takes for that approach to demobilizing to be effective, you may need to be concerned with it being deemed a premeditated assault
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The thing is....Wasp spray only works on white Anglo-Saxon protestants!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #30

Name: Sean
Trailer: Trillium 1300 (1975)
Vermont
I know this thread isn't really about wasp spray, but why do we even have wasp spray? I had a nest of white faced hornets show up where I needed to do some carpentry. Advice on the internet said - don't use wasp spray, leave them alone, very aggressive, they'll leave in a few months.
Nope.
I put a 10' pvc pipe on the end of the shop vac. They, predictably, attacked the end of the pipe when it got close - phthunk, phthunk, phthunk (repeat). Then I tapped the nest with the end of the pipe a few times and it disappeared too.
So, it's not a very effective self defense tool, and it's not the most effective wasp eviction tool, so...
OK, I did leave the vac running and the pipe by the spot the nest used to be for about 10 minutes. And did have a few stragglers show up after an hour or so. Tap the on button and phthunk. Oh, and safety first: I did tell my spouse so she wouldn't be tempted to empty the shop vac any time soon.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #31

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
" with intent to kill,"

Key phrase is intent. It is doubtful that someone being attacked would spray someone with pepper spray or wasp spray intending to kill the attacker. That being the case they couldn't be charged with intentionally trying to "poison" someone.
Bingo. "I feared for my life, and I was ***** to stop the threat."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
If attacked, I would use anything at my disposal!!! I had a police officer recommend wasp spray as it sprays further than pepper spray. Police officer also recommended, if you keep a bat in your car for protection, keep a mitt and a ball too-otherwise the bat is a 'planned weapon'. You do what you gotta do for protection.
That's where I think wasp spray comes in, assuming it works. It's not illegal (pepper spray is in some states I've heard, no idea where. I prefer to avoid those kinds of states), and it's a normal thing to have, especially an easy claim while camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Say what????

Suggestion: Substitute the word "gun" for "potentially lethal toxin". Does the assertion still stand?

Francesca
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I think the wasp spray is excellent idea and some of them shoot 15 to 20 away. I cant honestly think of any jury that would put a woman in jail for protecting herself. As Tom said a little lead poison, 45 caliber kind, wouldnt hurt either. But if you dont want to put a person down at least discourage them with a bad taste in their mouth and burning eyes. I am going to recommend that to my SO to have around.
Good thread.
I don't even want to get into a firearm debate on this site, but this goes for anything. If you are purposely trying to only would, this can put you in worse legal trouble in some areas. If you do it, never state it. The thinking is that if you were only trying to wound them, you didn't need to do it in the first place. I didn't write the laws, don't cry to me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in VT View Post
I know this thread isn't really about wasp spray, but why do we even have wasp spray? I had a nest of white faced hornets show up where I needed to do some carpentry. Advice on the internet said - don't use wasp spray, leave them alone, very aggressive, they'll leave in a few months.
Brake clean will knock them dead 10x as well as wasp spray. The same goes for spiders. They instantly curl into a ball. I'm making no claims on the safety of your paint, etc., though.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #32

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Everyone should have a big ol' can of bear spray when they go out into nature.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #33

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I would think that in a camping situation, the most likely time that you might have to use some sort of self defense as we are discussing here, would be if a perp tried to come thru the door of your camper. One would assume that that as soon as "he crosses the threshold of the doorway", he has now invaded your "home". Using wasp spray, pepper spray, whatever would likely be considered self defense, I would think. I'm a little sceptical about the article written by the "security expert" as she has an axe to grind: she is trying to sell her brand of self defense class.

Something that has not been mentioned in this thread: one thing I keep handy in the camper at night is the key fob for the truck. In an attempted break-in, the panic button on the key fob will start the horn honking on the truck. Criminals hate noise and attention, so there is at least some chance they may run away before you ever have the chance to deploy your deadly can of Raid.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Something that has not been mentioned in this thread: one thing I keep handy in the camper at night is the key fob for the truck. In an attempted break-in, the panic button on the key fob will start the horn honking on the truck. .
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I'm all for bats as someone suggested because some of the carry rabies and that might scare the attacker away. Just a thought.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #36

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I I'm a little sceptical about the article written by the "security expert" as she has an axe to grind: she is trying to sell her brand of self defense class.
As well as a specific brand of pepper spray No bias or anything.

Bottom line for me; I'm not willing to be a passive victim.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't think it would be wise to deploy bear spray once the perp has come through the door. ( where's the smilie with the bleeding eyes??? )
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #38

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
I don't think it would be wise to deploy bear spray once the perp has come through the door. ( where's the smilie with the bleeding eyes??? )
I can't find the video now, but there's one of a woman running after a guy, spraying pepper spray. She makes it about 15 feet, then hits the deck.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I'm all for bats as someone suggested because some of the carry rabies and that might scare the attacker away. Just a thought.
Personally I prefer to let loose the Flying monkeys!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #40

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: SD Casita
Illinois
wasp spray

If you can't use wasp spray, can you use a pellet gun. I thought if someone gets past the door you can shoot. I can't believe the laws with this self defense approach. The victims do seem to have NO support. I bought a pellet hand gun, if someone tried to hurt me or mine, I'll go for the eyes first, don't think they will penetrate clothing, not sure, haven't tried yet.
However, it's a very sad state of affairs now a days.
I'm glad I know about the bat, ball and glove......
Be careful of down wind when using your pepper spray also.
Closed Thread