Water Damage advice needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Name: Rusty
Trailer: looking for BF
British Columbia
Water Damage advice needed

Hi, I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with wall panel construction in a 17' Bigfoot trailer. The mid-nineties CB I'm looking has the rear couch right accross the back under the window. Turns out there was a leak at some time (bottom left corner of window?) and some blistering of the white vinyl skin around that corner. The panel itself has an exposed rotted section surrounded by a soft area about 6"x12" still covered with white vinyl (see photos).
The wound is completely dry now but I don't know how the wall is constructed and if there would likely be structural damage also.
This is a pretty nice trailer otherwise and the seller has been upfront about this leak. I'm thinking this could get expensive once the RV shop opens it up. Any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Photo1.jpg   Photo2.jpg  

Photo3.jpg   rearwindow.jpg  

Rusty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Bigfoot construction is fiberglass outer shell, thick rigid insulation foam and inside finish panel. There are wood enforcements as well. I would assume that damage is to finish panel only. I did not get where the damage is but if this is in front of the front right window the leak could be coming from awning mount. Bigfoot’s awning mounts are subpar and could leak. I had to completely redo awning mounts. I regards to structural damage I think the trailer should be OK, fiberglass and foam don’t rot.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Name: Rusty
Trailer: looking for BF
British Columbia
Hi George, this model has a window right accross the back of the trailer. I assumed it was the window leaking but now that you mention other possible entries I suppose it could be the little red running light attached to the outside? I added a better picture showing the window to my original post. In it the backrest cushion has been moved out of the way and you can see the oak panelling that's normally behind the cushion. The oak paneling doesn't appear to be soft. If the panelling is glued to the foam which is glued to the fiberglass shell does anyone know if it can actually be removed and replaced??
Rusty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I did not have a need to remove a panel but I am sure it can be done. After removing the window you should be able to separate inside trim panel. Matching color and pattern will likely be impossible.Good luck, George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hi Rusty, when I pulled the front of my trailer a part behind the panel was 1 inch foam glued to the fibreglass and the paneling glued to the foam. There was also plywood glued where it needed support ,3 or 4 inches strips wide like where the upper cabinets attach and above the front window so the window cover has something to screw into. If you remove both the side mouldings and the one below where the two panels meet and remove the window you should be able to open it up from the bottom and have a look. Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote