Water filler cover broken - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Water filler cover broken

The cover on my filler to the water tank on my 96 Scamp 5er is broken where the hinge is on the top. I can still get it back together but I know eventually it will break for good or disappear. Called Scamp today but they say they have never had that type of filler on Scamp - that this is an aftermarket mod someone has done. He asked me if I was sure I really had a Scamp!! I told him it says Scamp on it, is titled as a Scamp and has all the Scamp manuals so it must be a Scamp. He says I'll have to replace it with the original Scamp filler which sticks out from the body ( which may be better I don't know). That involves drilling out rivets and replacing them. The current one is held in by 4 screws. I'd rather just get a new cap - I haven't learned how to do the rivet thing yet - don't have the rivet gun and am reluctant to try it at this stage of my newbieness. Does this look familiar to anyone? Any ideas or suggestions as to where to look or what I could try?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Texas
OOPS - tech difficulty getting the photos up loaded. I'll keep trying
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jan could you posted a photo of the type of filler you have as that would help a lot. I would like to change the stock one out to something else but havent seen anything that I think would work great on the rear curve the original sits - so would love to see yours!

This is the fresh water tank filler Scamp uses stock

This is the type Scamp uses on their City Water connection and was on mine originally but since changed.

Both of the above can be purchased at pretty well any RV store.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	55845

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	55846
Okay, I think I got it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I've seen that style on large RV's. Check with your local RV supply store.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Registry
If you do a Google of RV Gravity Water fill you will find lots of options. I am surprised that the one that is on there now is screwed on - would not think screws would hold it on very well - normal to see outside fittings riveted on.

I am assuming that the filler is at the rear corner of your trailer like other scamps? If so that may be why the cover isnt staying on well due to the curved surface - the box it closes on has probable been bent to conform with the trailers curves and why Scamp doesnt use fillers with covers such as the one that someone has put on yours.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

Texas
Yes the filler is on the back right corner - passenger side. I'm surprised at the screws too.

Its the spring that broke. I did find it online. Not sure what to try to replace it with. What problems are you having that you want to replace yours?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

Registry
Tweetys.com Recessed Water Fill $18.42

AdventureRV.net J&C Water Systems Fill Spout $8.99
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Yes the filler is on the back right corner - passenger side. I'm surprised at the screws too.

Its the spring that broke. I did find it online. Not sure what to try to replace it with. What problems are you having that you want to replace yours?
Well mine is the original Scamp style one and over 21 years old and the top no longer locks down in place. Been considering putting in another kind but havent seen many that look flexible enough to seal tight on the curve of the trailer. Thinking something like this style: Gravity Water Filler by Lasalle but it means cutting out a bigger section of fiberglass to fit it than what originally/currently on the trailer.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm putting one with a door and cap on mine, but I'll probably be moving it to the side of the camper, also. THe other ones gross me out, I prefer to keep road crap out of my fresh water.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I replaced the stock filler with the one pictured below.
It works great with a hose, and even better with a plastic jerry can which has a tapered spout...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0116.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Registry
Floyd I am assuming you needed the extra rivets to get it to sit snug on the curve?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Water filler for Scamp and Casita.

This one fits Scamps and Casita's.
Attached Thumbnails
Water filler Scamp.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd I am assuming you needed the extra rivets to get it to sit snug on the curve?
Well the thing only came with three predrilled holes, which I would have considered wholely inadequate in any case, but you are correct. It does conform nicely now and would have with only 5 rivets, but I am given occasionally to overkill!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Okay, are you ready for another stupid questions? My first road trip with the Scamp will be in May. I have Scamp's standard issue water filler on the fresh water tank. So here's the question...how do you know when the tank's full (other than having someone inside the trailer scream "STOP" when it gets to the top? If you overfill, will the water just come up and out the filler, or do you risk springing a leak in the vent (honestly, I haven't looked closely at the tank, I'm assuming it is vented).
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #16

Registry
Wait for the water to come back up out the filler. Thats what I do. You will see when it starts to fill back into the outside cup area of the filler.

Hint: Dont run the water into the tank to fast or it will will back up even if its not full due to air in the lines. .
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Okay, that I can do Carol. Just a little concerned since I will mostly be a solo camper. Thanks.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Okay, that I can do Carol. Just a little concerned since I will mostly be a solo camper. Thanks.
Linda so am I and you shouldn't have any problems filling the water on your own. You may want to pick up a water tank filler with a shut off valve. It helps a lot to be able to stick the end of it a bit down the filler and to be able to shut it off if the water starts to back up.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Okay, are you ready for another stupid questions? My first road trip with the Scamp will be in May. I have Scamp's standard issue water filler on the fresh water tank. So here's the question...how do you know when the tank's full (other than having someone inside the trailer scream "STOP" when it gets to the top? If you overfill, will the water just come up and out the filler, or do you risk springing a leak in the vent (honestly, I haven't looked closely at the tank, I'm assuming it is vented).
Take a look at the tank, there should be a tube which come out at the top of the tank and exits through the floor.
If you over fill the tank, the water run out onto the ground. This tube also acts as a vent to allow quicker filling of the tank.
The stock filler takes water slowly, the one I showed in my previous post pours quickly and much easier.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps Joy A's solution would work for you?
Lock for Fresh Water Fill - Direct link
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote