Water getting in? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 77 Scamp
As far as the eewwwy smell I did pull my carpet out and thankfully so, yellowinsh/orange/green puke color was just really not my style. I did put vinyl in but did not seal it down and since I have sprouted several leaks over time I was glad I didn't glue it to the floor. Little containers of dryz air will help keep it from being so damp and a small heater once you discover the leak source and fix it. I found these containers of a very similar thing to dry z air at lowes right next to the dry z air. The containers have lids so when driving one could cover it up, also they had ones you could hang in your closet which would work great in the small compartments and closet.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #22

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2001 Scamp
California
Whew, thanks Flygal for all the advise! I am going to seal up the front window today and see what that gets me. I did pull up the carpet in the front compartments as it was wet and ugly. There isn't any water in there this morning. I have to say in the center of the front window on the inside there is a very small spot that is wet. It's possible it's leaking in and running down behind the ensolite. Looks like a couple of the white little caps on the outside are broken too, would this allow water in?
I'm wondering how you attached your flooring if you didn't glue it down. I have seen trailers with a pergo type floating floor, what do you think about that?
Time to go out in the rain and poke around some more.
Thanks so much!!
JudyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Those "white caps" cover the rivets and the rivets have holes in them all the way though. So yes, uncovered rivets allow water intrusion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #24

California
Water intrusion culprit found! At least one place. Yes, the front window is leaking just as Flygal had experienced. A little puddle is evident on the ledge behind the top bunk. I am thinking that foam may be wet as well. So, now my question is will that ensolite dry out eventually? It seems like it might be hard to dry out the backing.

Off to Lowe's for some sealant! and dry-z?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #25

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those "white caps" cover the rivets and the rivets have holes in them all the way though. So yes, uncovered rivets allow water intrusion.
I have a "wish list" going on the Scamp parts website. I will add those caps to the list. Probably a bigger priority than that new stainless steel cooktop. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #26

California
Don't know the lingo. I have "rat fur" not ensolite?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think "rat fur" is a Casita thing, maybe not, but it is kinda sorta like automotive carpeting or short fuzzy headliner material. I have Ensolite, it's white and kinda foam like and heavy feeling.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #28

Yeah!!!! Okay for me I went to an rv store and purchased a clear sealer that came in a toothpaste size tube that goes on similar to caulk....I've loaned my tube out so i can't remember what it was called. I did both sides inside and out but just near the source of the leak not all the way around. On the inside I was generous becasue it is covered by ensolite and wasn't viewable by perfectionist eyes. The stuff is pretty tar like sticky so maybe tape off the area you want to do, slather on * using gloves of course* and smooth out, remove the tape.

Your ensolite will dry out its a closed cell something something something lingo I don't recall...basically its not a sponge so its not like its holding all that water. You can order new caps and rivets from scamp but you can also get those same items from Lowes, (home depot had a terrible rivet selection...ace hardware also has the rivets but no caps. The caps are nice but my trailer has none. Putting in rivets is a two person job and you'll need 9/16th lenght rivets or so I've found maybe longer if your using caps. Zip me a line I can walk you thru it if you need.

As for my floor I layed the vinyl indoors for a week until it was nice and flat, its pretty thin an so it just lays there the edges don't really curl so there's been no problems there. I did also place a layer of underlayment stuff that they use under wood flooring to help insulate and keep moister from getting to the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
Water intrusion culprit found! At least one place. Yes, the front window is leaking just as Flygal had experienced. A little puddle is evident on the ledge behind the top bunk. I am thinking that foam may be wet as well. So, now my question is will that ensolite dry out eventually? It seems like it might be hard to dry out the backing.

Off to Lowe's for some sealant! and dry-z?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #29

I have seen those and am envious time and time again...however since my trailer happens to sprout new leaks until I feel they are all taken care of I won't be doing that. My weather is more damp than say california so I'm thankful I didn't put it in my trailer ...but I still LOVE the look. They do make a linolium that looks like wood flooring that i have seen and it is quite beautiful!

Quote:
I have seen trailers with a pergo type floating floor, what do you think about that?
Time to go out in the rain and poke around some more.
Thanks so much!!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #30

mines a 77 so its this stuff that looks like well the skin of an elephant....

rat fur is the carpet plush stuff that they use now

Quote:
Don't know the lingo. I have "rat fur" not ensolite?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #31

Indiana
I used the floating floor.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I think "rat fur" is a Casita thing, maybe not, but it is kinda sorta like automotive carpeting or short fuzzy headliner material. I have Ensolite, it's white and kinda foam like and heavy feeling.
"Rat Fur" is in mid-1987 and newer Scamps, prior to that it was "Elephant Skin" a closed-cell, vinyl covered Ensolite. Casitas use marine carpet. Actually the rat fur is a marine headliner material, a bit fuzzier than the headliner used in cars. It's mold and moisture resistant.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #33

Indiana
There you go.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I think "rat fur" is a Casita thing, maybe not,
Actually it's Scamp!

Casita's have carpet! Shag, low Shag, Sculpted shag, etc.........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #35

Indiana
Is that like Hippie Shag?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #36

California
The wall covering in my Scamp is quite fuzzy.

So, I went to Lowe's and bought a gun full of black "window" caulk. The guy working there said it was what I needed. Came home and with shaking hands put it around the whole window. (outside window-inside of gasket, if that makes sence) It looks pretty bad. My husband may kill me, although he has snubbed my Scamp sence it's arrival so he really doesn't have a say in it. I am a little freaked out about it myself though. I am hoping that down the line, say in the summer I will be able to remove the ugly job and do a better job. Please tell me I will be able to get this off of my plexiglass window. Please....
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #37

California
Quote:
I used the floating floor.
How is your floor working out for you? I wouldn't put it in untill I was sure I was leak free.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #38

Indiana
Judy, My floor is great except I live in the desert and just like the house I can't keep the dusty foot prints off of it. Can you say Swiffer?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #39

California
Quote:
Judy, My floor is great except I live in the desert and just like the house I can't keep the dusty foot prints off of it. Can you say Swiffer?
Yeah, it might be that it looks so nice I will want to keep it looking good all the time....unrealistic with a 10 year old boy. Vinyl seems like the best option for us for now at least. But, hey enjoy yours!! They do look great!!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #40

Well most anything is fixable if you throw enough cash at it. Relax Judy, we can whip you with a wet noodle if it makes you feel better. I've done my fare share or redo's of past fixes. In fact as we speak My trailer is torn apart and I'm reinstalling some wiring <ahem the proper way> this time. Don't feel rushed to do a fix, next time if your concerned about water leakage, tarps r ur friend. Many times in a pinch duct tape and clear saran wrap are stuck to the side of my trailer until I can take time to do the fix.

Can't say that I've ever used adhesive on plexiglass but if its silicon type I would think it would peel off under certain conditions. Don't quote me on this but I would use a hairdryer...not a heat gun they get too hot for Plexiglas might just help remove that stuff at a later date. From my personal experience only the spot where the 2 rubber seals meet needed that sealant stuff but I'm not there to see whats leaking

Now I'm not ripping on your guy at Lowes, I'm an Old Eagle Hardware Tool Manager, but your better off going to an RV store for certain things...maybe cruze the isles there just looking and asking might help for future fixes....

Quote:
The wall covering in my Scamp is quite fuzzy.

So, I went to Lowe's and bought a gun full of black "window" caulk. The guy working there said it was what I needed. Came home and with shaking hands put it around the whole window. (outside window-inside of gasket, if that makes sence) It looks pretty bad. My husband may kill me, although he has snubbed my Scamp sence it's arrival so he really doesn't have a say in it. I am a little freaked out about it myself though. I am hoping that down the line, say in the summer I will be able to remove the ugly job and do a better job. Please tell me I will be able to get this off of my plexiglass window. Please....