Water getting in? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #29

Name: Brandy
I have seen those and am envious time and time again...however since my trailer happens to sprout new leaks until I feel they are all taken care of I won't be doing that. My weather is more damp than say california so I'm thankful I didn't put it in my trailer ...but I still LOVE the look. They do make a linolium that looks like wood flooring that i have seen and it is quite beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
I have seen trailers with a pergo type floating floor, what do you think about that?
Time to go out in the rain and poke around some more.
Thanks so much!!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #30

mines a 77 so its this stuff that looks like well the skin of an elephant....

rat fur is the carpet plush stuff that they use now

Quote:
Don't know the lingo. I have "rat fur" not ensolite?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #31

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I used the floating floor.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I think "rat fur" is a Casita thing, maybe not, but it is kinda sorta like automotive carpeting or short fuzzy headliner material. I have Ensolite, it's white and kinda foam like and heavy feeling.
"Rat Fur" is in mid-1987 and newer Scamps, prior to that it was "Elephant Skin" a closed-cell, vinyl covered Ensolite. Casitas use marine carpet. Actually the rat fur is a marine headliner material, a bit fuzzier than the headliner used in cars. It's mold and moisture resistant.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #33

Indiana
There you go.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I think "rat fur" is a Casita thing, maybe not,
Actually it's Scamp!

Casita's have carpet! Shag, low Shag, Sculpted shag, etc.........
Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #35

Indiana
Is that like Hippie Shag?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #36

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2001 Scamp
California
The wall covering in my Scamp is quite fuzzy.

So, I went to Lowe's and bought a gun full of black "window" caulk. The guy working there said it was what I needed. Came home and with shaking hands put it around the whole window. (outside window-inside of gasket, if that makes sence) It looks pretty bad. My husband may kill me, although he has snubbed my Scamp sence it's arrival so he really doesn't have a say in it. I am a little freaked out about it myself though. I am hoping that down the line, say in the summer I will be able to remove the ugly job and do a better job. Please tell me I will be able to get this off of my plexiglass window. Please....
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #37

California
Quote:
I used the floating floor.
How is your floor working out for you? I wouldn't put it in untill I was sure I was leak free.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #38

Indiana
Judy, My floor is great except I live in the desert and just like the house I can't keep the dusty foot prints off of it. Can you say Swiffer?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #39

California
Quote:
Judy, My floor is great except I live in the desert and just like the house I can't keep the dusty foot prints off of it. Can you say Swiffer?
Yeah, it might be that it looks so nice I will want to keep it looking good all the time....unrealistic with a 10 year old boy. Vinyl seems like the best option for us for now at least. But, hey enjoy yours!! They do look great!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #40

Well most anything is fixable if you throw enough cash at it. Relax Judy, we can whip you with a wet noodle if it makes you feel better. I've done my fare share or redo's of past fixes. In fact as we speak My trailer is torn apart and I'm reinstalling some wiring <ahem the proper way> this time. Don't feel rushed to do a fix, next time if your concerned about water leakage, tarps r ur friend. Many times in a pinch duct tape and clear saran wrap are stuck to the side of my trailer until I can take time to do the fix.

Can't say that I've ever used adhesive on plexiglass but if its silicon type I would think it would peel off under certain conditions. Don't quote me on this but I would use a hairdryer...not a heat gun they get too hot for Plexiglas might just help remove that stuff at a later date. From my personal experience only the spot where the 2 rubber seals meet needed that sealant stuff but I'm not there to see whats leaking

Now I'm not ripping on your guy at Lowes, I'm an Old Eagle Hardware Tool Manager, but your better off going to an RV store for certain things...maybe cruze the isles there just looking and asking might help for future fixes....

Quote:
The wall covering in my Scamp is quite fuzzy.

So, I went to Lowe's and bought a gun full of black "window" caulk. The guy working there said it was what I needed. Came home and with shaking hands put it around the whole window. (outside window-inside of gasket, if that makes sence) It looks pretty bad. My husband may kill me, although he has snubbed my Scamp sence it's arrival so he really doesn't have a say in it. I am a little freaked out about it myself though. I am hoping that down the line, say in the summer I will be able to remove the ugly job and do a better job. Please tell me I will be able to get this off of my plexiglass window. Please....
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #41

California
Well, Flygal, good advise again. I was thinking about the tarp and tape temp fix...I am not going to cry about the caulk. The center where it was leaking looked as though it may have been "touched up" previously. At least it most likely won't leak for the rest of the rainy season. My husband gave me the big, sigh. Maybe he will be motivated to help me now! Patience is good advise! And I will look for an RV supply store near me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #42

If it makes you feel better my hubby didn't quite understand the diamond in the rough that I brought home 3 years ago. But when all was said and done and we were camping and DRY and people come and owww and awwww where ever you may be he learned the awesomeness of my trailer . I have chased my fair share of leaks not every trailer is as prone it seems as mine to this but come on my trailer is 32. Put down the sloppy silicone gun and have a cup of coffee and enjoy your trailer.

Quote:
Well, Flygal, good advise again. I was thinking about the tarp and tape temp fix...I am not going to cry about the caulk. The center where it was leaking looked as though it may have been "touched up" previously. At least it most likely won't leak for the rest of the rainy season. My husband gave me the big, sigh. Maybe he will be motivated to help me now! Patience is good advise! And I will look for an RV supply store near me. Thanks.