Water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My son in law just bought a Jayco Popup. It's nice but it still is a popup.
Anyway to make a long story short he has a 6 gallon water heater ( no shower, sort of overkill). It got me to thinking I maybe could shoehorn in a water heater ( Burro has no shower either, but hot water = mmmmmm luxury)

So while perusing the expensive water heaters available I stumbled on a nice lady's post about using a 32 once coffee maker with the nice spigot on the bottom.

It was one of those "BRILLIANT" moments.

I have one of those already! And I can pack my socks in it!!!!

Saved me a lot of money today....
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I tried several ways to get hot water from the stove top. One was a Revere percolator, but it didn't win, neither did the tea kettle.

The best and quickest is an old copper bottomed Revere skillet with lid I found for a couple of bucks at a yard sale. I made a slight 'spout' on one side with a pair of vice grips and a matching one on the lid, but bent in instead of out.

It'll boil a cup and a half of water for a mug of coffee in about a minute and a half (add another minute or so in the early morning when it's cold). Good coffee can be made with a coffee cone or French press. I usually go with the cone since it is easier to dispose of the paper filter than wash the press. Or, if you desire, a dimatase cup can be used if there is time for it.

When full it holds about a quart. This much added to a 2 gal stainless steel fruit tree sprayer and tempered with cold water makes for a nice warm shower. I've even been known to haul my tree sprayer into a campground shower when the campground hot water supply was used up.

A boating "Tip" is to drill a hole in the counter top large enough to hold a large stainless steel thermos. In the morning you boil enough water for coffee, cereal, etc., plus a thermos full. This heats the cabin toasty, plus you have hot water available all day from the thermos.

I'm done now. That's all I know about hot water that I want to divulge at this time.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
pjanits Posted Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So while perusing the expensive water heaters available I stumbled on a nice lady's post about using a 32 once coffee maker with the nice spigot on the bottom
Wow - what a wonderful idea! Especially in campgrounds where you are using their electricity. I am going to look into fixing some kind of shelf on the side of the upper cabinet to hold one of those. That way, it will be out of the way, but gravity will feed to the sink. Maybe a plastic/vinyl tube attached to the spigot to reach...hmmmm
I will be checking out the thrift stores for sure.

Thanks for sharing, Pete.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler Honey
Pete,
Just don't put your dirty socks in the coffe maker on the way home or your next trip you'll have some funny tasting water!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have used a 30 cup coffee pot for years. There is plenty of hot water available all the time, even if doing dishes.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote