Water heater drain spigot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
At $10 USD, this wand isn't gonna break the bank. But, I don't understand why there wouldn't be an anode used, instead of that spigot.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 10.27.25 PM.jpg  

Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #22

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Vinegar is a great way to clean the deposits out in the tank. Put as much vinegar as you can in the tank, and let it sit overnight. The next day, wash all the chunks out. My understanding is that the mineral deposits are alkaline, and vinegar (acetic acid) dissolves the deposits (neutralizes them).

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #23

Name: Ed
Trailer: Escape 21
Colorado
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
To drain my tank, I remove the anode, which protects the tank against corrosion. Not sure what purpose that spigot serves.
Atwood brand water heaters do not use an anode rod, just a nylon plug. Suburban brand uses the anode making any spigot counterproductive.

It would seem that the HWH in question is an Atwood brand.
Ed Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #24

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Registry
Spongelander: yes! I had heard I should use vinegar to help break up the sediment. Thanks for the reminder.

Glenn: as Ed mentioned, only certain types of water heaters -- generally Suburbans -- need the anode rod. This is because the Suburbans are made of steel and the Atwoods are made of aluminum. You use the rod in a steel tank as a sacrificial corrosion target (instead of the tank corroding away).

As I understand it, if your water heater needs an anode rod (is made of steel), you have to be sure to use the right material. Seems like a rod should only last about 16 - 24 months. Of course, this information is only that which I've heard from others and not my experience since our water heater tank is aluminum.

I've also read that some Atwood owners use a rod anyways to prevent the corrosion of the steel drain which can rust away and create a leak. I'll probably look into this bit further just to be safe.

Note that the tank flusher tube thing can be used when cleaning either type of tank. I've been told to put it in the hole, turn on the hose, and move it around in a circle in the tank to help stir up the sediment and blast it out of the tank.

Hope this helps!
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
How long the anode lasts depends on the water in the tank. We have soft water so my anode didn't need to be replaced for seven years and could actually have gone longer. In some areas an anode might only last six months.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #26

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Registry
Glenn, that makes perfect sense. The folks I've talked to live near me and we are in the land of hard water. Good to know!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #27

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I put a standard hot water heater drain valve on mine. Yeah used pipe thread compound. It works great for draining the thing. Just have to open my sink knob so it gets air. drains in about 10 minutes.

Much smaller than this setup. Now it does just drain into the thing and then dribbles down the side onto the ground. But that works.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #28

Name: Ed
Trailer: Escape 21
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Just have to open my sink knob so it gets air. drains in about 10 minutes.

Just open the pressure relief valve on the HWH and it will save you a trip inside plus itís good to operate that valve now and then.
Ed Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How long the anode lasts depends on the water in the tank. We have soft water so my anode didn't need to be replaced for seven years and could actually have gone longer. In some areas an anode might only last six months.
OK, whats the point of having soft water at home, when traveling around in different parts of your country or mine. When your fresh water tank is empty, its empty. You have to fill where you are, where ever that is. Lest you never go to far from home and not gone long enough to use all your water. Just a thought. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post
Just open the pressure relief valve on the HWH and it will save you a trip inside plus itís good to operate that valve now and then.

That could work. Hard to get to. But probably should because of your second point.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
OK, whats the point of having soft water at home, when traveling around in different parts of your country or mine. When your fresh water tank is empty, its empty. You have to fill where you are, where ever that is. Lest you never go to far from home and not gone long enough to use all your water. Just a thought. Carl
Thats what that optional RV water softener is for.

gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote