water heater electronic ignition failed - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Randy Magee's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 29
Registry
The electronic ignition on my Suburban SW6DE water heater failed this weekend after working perfectly only 2 weeks before. I checked the fuse and it was OK. I have power to the switch but none at the indicator light. I pressed the reset on the 12V Hi Limit but no dice. The heater works fine on 120V electric, but I can't get the gas to light with the electronic ignition. Could the 12V Hi Limit switch be bad? Are there some test I can perform to determine if it is?
__________________

__________________
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

On the P.C.B. board there is a plastic green or purple fuse with the number 3 or 5 on it...the board is the same as their furnace and water heaters...check this fuse, read power at the V+ terminal, this is located under the 4 pin connector and you should see 12v with reference to a good ground...These units also have been failing because of a bad ground connection which will nix the l.e.d too...Ground is shared and is also connected to the S1 terminal at the same flat 4 pin connector with V1 on it, do a continuity check from the spark sensor to a good established ground...If the l.e.d is dead I strongly suspect 12+ volt power interruption feeding the control board or its ground or the fuse. These boards are made in several generations and places so variations exist but are all using the same terminal designations and principles of operation...the color of the board would help me.

Be aware this board has a 3 strikes and you may be locked out safety built into its operation, if there is air in the line and it tries to strike failing 3 times it will lock out further tries until power is interrupted and reestablished (on/off)...Doing this gives you three more tries. With the l.e.d. not lit as you describe I suspect this is not the problem but...When it does try after you get ole green lit up be patient and do the previous suggestion before grass skirts rattles and incense...At least keep it in mind when you have just changed the bottles.

Harry

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"> </span>


Quote:
The electronic ignition on my Suburban SW6DE water heater failed this weekend after working perfectly only 2 weeks before. I checked the fuse and it was OK. I have power to the switch but none at the indicator light. I pressed the reset on the 12V Hi Limit but no dice. The heater works fine on 120V electric, but I can't get the gas to light with the electronic ignition. Could the 12V Hi Limit switch be bad? Are there some test I can perform to determine if it is?
__________________

__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Randy Magee's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 29
Registry
Quote:
On the P.C.B. board there is a plastic green or purple fuse with the number 3 or 5 on it...the board is the same as their furnace and water heaters...check this fuse, read power at the V+ terminal, this is located under the 4 pin connector and you should see 12v with reference to a good ground...These units also have been failing because of a bad ground connection which will nix the l.e.d too...Ground is shared and is also connected to the S1 terminal at the same flat 4 pin connector with V1 on it, do a continuity check from the spark sensor to a good established ground...If the l.e.d is dead I strongly suspect 12+ volt power interruption feeding the control board or its ground or the fuse. These boards are made in several generations and places so variations exist but are all using the same terminal designations and principles of operation...the color of the board would help me.

Be aware this board has a 3 strikes and you may be locked out safety built into its operation, if there is air in the line and it tries to strike failing 3 times it will lock out further tries until power is interrupted and reestablished (on/off)...Doing this gives you three more tries. With the l.e.d. not lit as you describe I suspect this is not the problem but...When it does try after you get ole green lit up be patient and do the previous suggestion before grass skirts rattles and incense...At least keep it in mind when you have just changed the bottles.

Harry
Harry,

Thanks for the reply... I had kind of narrowed it down to the hi limit switch or something on that PCB board... I'll check it over later in the day. I appreciate your detailed information...

Randy Magee
__________________
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Randy Magee's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 29
Registry
Boy, do I feel dumb! I started checking things this morning and after breaking down the bed, I looked at the top side of the water heater through the access panel on the dinette seat and found that a plug had vibrated loose off the PCB board. I plugged it in and the problem was solved...
__________________
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Great!!! So it was a power suppy problem...And that one is the one you want...plugs are great little issues...my most oft issue is rats...they love the P.V.C. coating, little devils make me money!

Harry


Quote:
Boy, do I feel dumb! I started checking things this morning and after breaking down the bed, I looked at the top side of the water heater through the access panel on the dinette seat and found that a plug had vibrated loose off the PCB board. I plugged it in and the problem was solved...
__________________
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water heater Sandra Lair Modifications, Alterations and Updates 16 10-09-2009 11:58 AM
water heater, manual light or electronic ignition??? Timothy F Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 11-07-2008 03:08 PM
Water Heater Q Eric & Tam Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-19-2007 08:00 PM
Hot Water Heater - Rusty Water terryw Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 07-15-2006 09:33 PM
Hot water Heater Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 06-30-2003 03:14 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.