Water Heater Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Had my 1985 Scamp Deluxe out this weekend at Deception Pass State Park. Gorgeous weather, great spot but, noticed water dripping to the outside under screws that house the hot water heater controls. I opened the area that gives access to the tank and the floor was wet. I wasen't able to locate the leak and wonder what to do next. The hot water heater itself works great. My question is where to look first. Do I need to remove the tank Argggh.? Should I take to a RV dealer etc. I'm hoping of course for a simple fix that I (a curious newbie) can deal with.
carole sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
try to find the spot where your cold water line goes in and your hot water line goes out and touch each one of the fittings (including the winter bypass valves) with your finger and hopefully one of them will be wet to the touch and you can then fix that fitting...... could also be your pressure release valve is leaking a little bit....try the finger test when the water is hot and under pressure......... that one you would just jiggle a little bit open and closed to get it to seat........... hopefully the tanks not rusted out.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is it possible water was blown into the area during travel?? Those blasted vents ya know. I have a friend with a monster 5th wheel that has cut a piece of thin plastic to put inside the hatches with vents, just because of rain-water-during-travel problems.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
... could also be your pressure release valve is leaking a little bit...
I have this trouble. I have to jiggle it every campout. I gotta try to replace the valve.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna........
Good tip

Most times it's a simple cure!
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote