Water Heater plug removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2011 19' Scamp
Illinois
Water Heater plug removal

I have a 2010 16' Scamp less then one year old I bought used. I want to drain the water system and clean it. The water heater has a plastic drain plug (that appears never to have been removed) that Scamp says requires a 7/8 in socket.....doesn't go on. Also tried a variety of other socket sizes to no avail and I'm afraid I will strip the plastic plug if I continue.
I want to replace the plug with a Tank Saver anode plug. ..................................Any sugesstions on how I should proceed?
Thanks, Jim
recover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover55 View Post
I have a 2010 16' Scamp less then one year old I bought used. I want to drain the water system and clean it. The water heater has a plastic drain plug (that appears never to have been removed) that Scamp says requires a 7/8 in socket.....doesn't go on. Also tried a variety of other socket sizes to no avail and I'm afraid I will strip the plastic plug if I continue.
I want to replace the plug with a Tank Saver anode plug. ..................................Any sugesstions on how I should proceed?
Thanks, Jim
Purchase another plastic plug and they try to remove the original. Try metric sockets if not SAE. You may not want to use an anode, depending of if it's Suburban or Atwood. One of them use aluminum tanks and if you attach another type of metal you will have problems with the threads, a chemical reaction between different types of metal, that is why they use plastic.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Purchase another plastic plug and they try to remove the original. Try metric sockets if not SAE. You may not want to use an anode, depending of if it's Suburban or Atwood. One of them use aluminum tanks and if you attach another type of metal you will have problems with the threads, a chemical reaction between different types of metal, that is why they use plastic.
Thanks for your advice. I called Atwood and they told me the socket size is actualy 15/16 in. Also putting in a brass plug would be OK but the anode is not needed..................Thanks again, Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I called Atwood and they told me the socket size is actualy 15/16 in. Also putting in a brass plug would be OK but the anode is not needed..................Thanks again, Jim
The water heater is aluminum and the plug is plastic for a reason.
dissimilar metals can gall into place over time.
Aluminum water heaters do not need anode protection.
The anode was designed for steel water heaters to prevent corrosion.
I have used my Plastic plug for 7 years now with no problems. It is pipe thread and can be replaced at any hardware store.
If this advice does not ring true and you decide to used a brass or steel threaded plug or anode then at least use nickel anti-sieze or teflon tape on the threads.
Best choice... Keep the plastic!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The water heater is aluminum and the plug is plastic for a reason.
dissimilar metals can gall into place over time.
Aluminum water heaters do not need anode protection.
The anode was designed for steel water heaters to prevent corrosion.
I have used my Plastic plug for 7 years now with no problems. It is pipe thread and can be replaced at any hardware store.
If this advice does not ring true and you decide to used a brass or steel threaded plug or anode then at least use nickel anti-sieze or teflon tape on the threads.
Best choice... Keep the plastic!
Thank,
I have a new plastic plug and the socket worked great........will stick with plastic............Is teflon tape ok to use as a sealer?
Thanks again, Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thank,
I have a new plastic plug and the socket worked great........will stick with plastic............Is teflon tape ok to use as a sealer?
Thanks again, Jim
Teflon tape is fine for that application, but the plastic plug usually seals without it. Mine has been in and out for seven years with no teflon tape and no leaks
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Be thankful you had a plastic plug, I had a trailer that had a metal plug, and I tried everything to get it out and couldn't. I had to replace the water heater. They do make a wrench you can get @ camping world I'm sure just for that plug.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Teflon tape is fine for that application, but the plastic plug usually seals without it. Mine has been in and out for seven years with no teflon tape and no leaks
Thanks again