Water Heater Wet Cardboard (split from Drycamping Tips) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Is it "PEX" or "QEST" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
THAT sounds like freeze damage to me
If the plumbing is Gray, it's called "Qest". I have that in my Fiber Stream and I've found that cracked fittings are common with this brand due to over tightening when people discover leaks. Here on the West Coast, it is no longer available except in dusty old Mom&Pop Hardware Stores that never sold all of their "New-Old" stock. There was a huge class-action lawsuit in Canada in the 1980's over this brand due to split tubing of HOT water lines within the walls of newly constructed houses. The plastic didn't hold up well to temperature changes.

The modern replacement is a different formulation of plastic, the brand name is "Pex" which is white.
I see there are some websites that may still carry both.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #16
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Thanks Fredrick!
The nut used on mine is clearish plastic...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Great suggestions again, thnaks so much! This cardboard looks like it is original since it is perfectly fitted all the way around even on both ends with precut out circles for the water lines etc...if it is from the factory then perhaps it has some sort of fire retardant coating? Just guessing of course...
I did forget to mention that my nylon HW tank drain plug on the outside was a tad loose and weeping...any chance some of that may of back flowed in somehow? I have tightened it up and it has stopped weeping...
Suprised you have cardboard around the hot water tank - mine has a styrofoam type cover over the whole thing - wonder if the tank was replaced and they just didnt take the shipping cardboard off.... hummm

re the nylon drain plug due to design I think it would be pretty impossible for it to be leaking back under the tank. I feel the pain re the drip though! Pretty well every time I have taken the plug off to drain the tank and then refill the tank it will drip. Even replaced it once to see if that would help. Can never get it tight enough by hand but a tire iron will do the trick! Have you had the pleasure of taking the plug out without releasing the pressure valve first yet? Cant tell you who many times I have done that
Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
Baj

North Carolina
Ya the cardboard definitely left me wondering why it was on there..but you make a good point..if it was replaced it did kinda resemble shipping cardboard since it was perfectly shaped around the tank. Either way that wet mold yuk has been removed! I now have a shinny tank starring at me wanting to be insulated...I like Francesca's idea to insulate it with regular insulation then hold it around the tank by wrapping screen material around it all..but not sure if I can get a staple gun in that tight space to secure the screening..
I called scamp and they said to find spray foam insulation and spray it..but not sure I want to do that since it would be hard to replace if it ever went bad with foam sticking it to everything..just seems like it would be a big mess...
Anyone else ever re-insulate their tank? If so what did you do?

Ha! ya I got sprayed when I took out my plug! I even had the tap open inside thinking that would relieve the pressure but no...is that what you meant by the pressure valve?
Before I put my plug back in I wrapped some teflon tape around it and tightened it with a ratchet...so far thats done the trick...no more drip!

I also found the last nut fitting they had at a local rv dealer today and installed that under my cold water tap...so far so good, no more leak...fingers crossed!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Ya the cardboard definitely left me wondering why it was on there..but you make a good point..if it was replaced it did kinda resemble shipping cardboard since it was perfectly shaped around the tank. Either way that wet mold yuk has been removed! I now have a shinny tank starring at me wanting to be insulated...I like Francesca's idea to insulate it with regular insulation then hold it around the tank by wrapping screen material around it all..but not sure if I can get a staple gun in that tight space to secure the screening..
I called scamp and they said to find spray foam insulation and spray it..but not sure I want to do that since it would be hard to replace if it ever went bad with foam sticking it to everything..just seems like it would be a big mess...
Anyone else ever re-insulate their tank? If so what did you do?

Ha! ya I got sprayed when I took out my plug! I even had the tap open inside thinking that would relieve the pressure but no...is that what you meant by the pressure valve?
Before I put my plug back in I wrapped some teflon tape around it and tightened it with a ratchet...so far thats done the trick...no more drip!

I also found the last nut fitting they had at a local rv dealer today and installed that under my cold water tap...so far so good, no more leak...fingers crossed!
To the right of the plug on the outside there should be a release valve - you flip it up.

Ok so something is a bit strange - normally the tanks I have seen are incased in hard styrofoam - if the tank goes bad it really is not going to make much difference as to whats stuck to the outside of it. Should not be a big mess if you put something over all the connections etc so they do not get sprayed - tape some paper up around that area so it catches the over spray as well. Just dont spray over any where there are connections. You could also contact the tanks manufacture to see if you can buy the hard styrofoam type I have.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
This is what a relief valve looks like.

Bill K
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Boyoboy am I glad you folks with real water heaters checked in to help Baj!
Here's a picture of MY trailer hot water heater:

Francesca
Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Geee glad Im not camping with you - that would be a very short shower indeed!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Baj

North Carolina
I found this picture of what the cardboard insulation jacket looked like before it got wet:

So it does exist and possibly originally put in by Scamp or someone replaced the original with this type. On a side note I like this bypass idea if you didn't need to use your hot water and didn't want your tank to get full and have to drain it. But back to my dilemma of having a bare tank that needs to be insulated again. I still don't think spraying it with foam insulation is a good idea since it will be so messy and it probably won't stick to the metal tank anyway... so I've been searching for something to wrap it in..this home hw tank jacket from home depot may work well after cutting it down to scamp size:

Or I was also thinking that a peice of insulated duct jacket in a big enough diameter that would slide over it may work well:

Still open to all ideas, suggestions or what you have done already...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
I have the bypass system and do use it when camping for quick one night astop nd not using the hot water tank/just boil water if needed. I do not like to tow with water in the tank so it saves having to dump it out.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Baj

I like the way you think!
I'm a make-it-work type myself, and am always looking for readily available materials to do a job they might not have originally been designed for...
I have to say that I'm interested in the spray-foam insulation suggested, but having worked with it before I find its "expansion" properties a bit intimidating in a situation like yours- I'm not sure how one would contain it while it dries.
I think either of your two alternatives would work well- any leftover materials could be used for insulation elsewhere in the trailer!
Don't forget about good ol' duct tape when you're putting your "blanket" on.
I know you have some- you're a do-it-yourselfer, aren't you?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
Baj

North Carolina
What are the downsides to towing with a full hw tank? Just the possibility of springing a leak?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
Baj

North Carolina
Haha thanks Francesca! I like the way you think aswell, I still love your idea to use screening to wrap the insulation in... But duct tape sounds easier and dont we all have the magical stuff haha...I also have silver duct seam tape left over from a home ducting project that is super sticky!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Just extra weight.