Water in my Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi all

I have found that there is some water (about 6 oz) that pools in my bed areas around the bottom where the ensolite ends. I was wondering is anyone out there can tell me the probable source of a leak.
Can the belly band leak? The silicone around it looks very old and cracked. How about the windows?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Darren Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Darren,

Generally the most probably leak source would be your windows. Though occasionally the belly bands lead primarily it's the loss of a good seal on the windows.

It's a bit of work but you will probably want to unscrew the windows, place some Butyl Tape (available at any RV store) around the entire window (not the frame), reinstall the window and use stainless steel screws instead of the original rusty screws. Then even if the leak is still there you know for sure that the window's are nicely sealed for the future. Silicon is not a good seal for windows or belly bands - it cracks over time whereas Butyl Tape is a soft, flexible product designed for this role.

As a side note: one of our members with a Trillium mentioned that they had leaks from tiny holes in the front of the trailer where rocks had hit it.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #3

I'd put my money on the windows leaking...when our back windows leaked the water pooled on the bench like you indicated. I have now discovered that the belly band does leak at the front, but only driving on the highway in the rain, and only when it is a long trip, that water ends up under the front bench in the storage area.

First thing you should do in the spring is pull the two side windows and reseal them. Lots of people have posted info on how to do this including me.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I found you can get a surprising amount of water just from breathing. We learned to leave a window and the roof vent cracked a little overnight even on the coldest nights. Even then we can get enough moisture on the windows and ensolite to write your name, and about 1/4 inch of water in the window tracks.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hello,
Assuming the trailer got wet. I vote for the windows.... with any 30 year
old trailer... if the windows have hot been resealed they will probably leak.
Bought a Trillium 1300 about a year ago and removed and reinstalled all
the windows. The caulking was all dried and cracked and it would surely
have leaked if it had not been renewed. Was in some real rain up in Idaho
this summer and had not a drop of window leaks.

Good Luck, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #6

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I removed the windows and resealed them in both of my Trillium 4500's and still found a small amout of water in the back storage area's...removed the belly band on both sealed the crack all the way around the camper with fiber glass and installed a stick-on trim and fixed the problem, no more water..I posted picture's and a link just recently on the first one and just got done with the other one 3 day's ago...Here are some pictures

With the belly band removed.................

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	24716

Another one it was real bad under there on both.......................

Name:	trailer004.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	24717

This one show's how bad the metal pieces that the belly band is attached to swells out and cause leaks... there was several spot's like this.........

Name:	trailer005.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	24718

Here's my 2 with the bands replaced with the car trim's.......wish I had took a picture after I fiberglassed the crack....

Name:	trailer088.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	24719

Here's my 4 egg's.... 2 Trillium's and 2 Scamps

Name:	trailer091.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	24720

Well i could ony get 3 in the picture

3 redone 1 remaining......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #7

Great info and pictures Randy, still looking for a 4500 to have for our 2nd trailer =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona

Great post Randy. You went all the way with that belly band repair. Here, I was not so thorough and used an easier though not
as thorough method to seal the aluminum band around the trailer. I used clear acrylic gel from art supply store to seal the top
of the band to prevent water from running down under the band. Masking tape was used to make a neat job. I had to put on two coats
as some gaps were evident after the first application... gel ran down behind band a little. Larry H

Name:	1belly.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	24724
Attached Thumbnails
1bellygel.jpg  
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
When I done mine I ran a piece of duct tape on top and bottom then spread my fiberglass over the open joint, the duct tape helped to keep the filler thin and helped when it came to sanding, I used a small orbitial sander and the duct tape saved the gel coat from being sanded that I want to save..When I was done i removed the duct tape but had to go over it with goo gone to remove the adhesive left behind...hope this helps
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium