Water leaking at the furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Water leaking at the furnace

Hi-I got home today and went out to our new 16' Scamp for something and noticed the floor was wet in the area of the furnace. It rained here today. It's a side dinette and the furnace is under the front dinette seat next to the bathroom. Further investigation showed that the water is entering the trailer thru the furnace exhaust ports. Then it leaks out of bottom of the furnace, onto the bottom of the furnace/storage cavity, finally making its way onto the main floor. Has anyone else had this problem and if yes how was it corrected? The previous RV we had, which was not a fiberglass unit, was equipped with a similar furnace and we never had a problem in over ten years.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
It sounds like the exhaust trim on the outside of the trailer is not properly sealed.
I had a wet carpet in the same area but it was a leaky roof rivet that held the bath partition in place.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I have a 2009 Scamp SD and do not have this problem.

I would call Kent at Scamp and talk to him.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Hi-I got home today and went out to our new 16' Scamp for something and noticed the floor was wet in the area of the furnace. It rained here today. It's a side dinette and the furnace is under the front dinette seat next to the bathroom. Further investigation showed that the water is entering the trailer thru the furnace exhaust ports. Then it leaks out of bottom of the furnace, onto the bottom of the furnace/storage cavity, finally making its way onto the main floor. Has anyone else had this problem and if yes how was it corrected? The previous RV we had, which was not a fiberglass unit, was equipped with a similar furnace and we never had a problem in over ten years.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Minnesota
My husband spoke with Kent @ Scamp yesterday. Kent said he had not heard of this happening and he would talk to his engineers and get back to us. Hope there is a fix cause even when using a hose to rinse off the trailer after washing it allows water to enter the furnace area.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Just a thought but maybe the exhaust grill is upside down ? Just a guess without looking at one.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Julie,
I am going to try this verbally. LOL

My exhaust/intake has a 45° bend out about a1/2" down. This valley has a good bead of caulk, there is also caulk all around the edge of the plate and it appears to be tight to the fiberglass.

If this confused you more than helped I will try to get a picture of it on here, BUT I have a very hard time getting it from my hard drive to this site even with Donna D's tutorials.

Bill K
Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #7

Minnesota
Bill-I would like to see your pictures. you could send them directly to our home e-mail which is: terrybuege1364@msn.com. I did receive word from Scamp about a possible incorrect use of vent fittings. looking forward to hearing back from you. Julie & Terry
Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #8

I have to go out to the boat this morning and finish a project then a graduation party this afternoon so will more than likely be tomorrow.

Bill K

Quote:
Bill-I would like to see your pictures. you could send them directly to our home e-mail which is: terrybuege1364@msn.com. I did receive would from Scamp about a possible incorrect use of vent fittings. looking forward to hearing back from you. Julie & Terry
Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I have to go out to the boat this morning and finish a project then a graduation party this afternoon so will more than likely be tomorrow.

Bill K
Thank you Bill! Whenever you have time would be fine - we appreciate the help!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #10

I may have got it right this time.

Bill K

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace vent top.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	37054

Name:	Furnace vent right.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	37055

Name:	Furnace vent left.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	37056

Quote:
Thank you Bill! Whenever you have time would be fine - we appreciate the help!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #11

Minnesota
We received a new, longer furnace intake tube from Scamp last week. I just installed it this morning. I was VERY careful and thorough on installation. It fits tighter and there is much more engagement than the one that came on the trailer. We're going to wait for the caulk to set up overnight, then give it the spray test tomorrow. So...we'll see then...Terry

Tags
furnace