Water leaks on 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: BucketsGoneWild
Trailer: 2004 Scamp
Arkansas
Water leaks on 13' Scamp

We had major water leaks from the Scamp door on our rainy trip home from buying it. The bottom foot of the door carpet was soaked and showed signs of that happening previously.
The top of the left door latch side stands out about an inch. The lower hinge side on the right has a big gap. There is a gap between the door and the threshold.
The new foam door seal is useless - it wicks water like crazy. We tested it and saved ourselves the trouble of putting it on.
We ordered new brass balls, screws and springs and put them on. We know nothing about any adjustments that may need to be made to the door.
We need help with the door seal. We read the forums. Any new ideas welcome.
BucketsGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Welcome , It would greatly help if you provided some photo's. I don't think that the brass balls,screws, & springs are going to do anything. Sounds like weather stripping on the bottom needs to be put in. I don't know of any adjustments you can make to the door itself.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I think that I have a similar problem on my Trillium.

The previous/or before that owner put some oversize weatherstripping around the door opening, on the body side. This seems to have actually mis-shaped the door. The door seems to be forced out of shape on both the top and the bottom.

The hinges have been replaced, again by previous owners, with ordinary strap hinges. The door will not open all the way. I imagine that I will have to order some hinges??

I am actually considering making a new door.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Buckets, my apologies for jumping in.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
We just bought our Scamp a couple of days ago and have the same problem. My wife could slide her hand under the bottom of the door while it's closed. The carpet on the bottom of the door is stained due to this problem.

I just ordered the door foam from Scamp but I doubt it will take care of the problem completely.

Eager to see if someone has an answer too!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
This problem is more or less currently being covered here under the tread Scamp door seal.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eal-40356.html
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, scamp