Water pump question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Water pump question

Hi All, Merry Christmas & thanks in advance for your advice. I believe my '89 Scamp 16' needs a new water pump. The old Shurflo worked intermittently now not at all. Any advice on what to check to make sure it needs replacement? And, what replacement pump would you advise? I looked at this one on Amazon (Shurflo Fresh Water Pump Model 2088-554-144 12 Volts, 3.5 Gallons Per Minute, 45 Psi) but am not sure as I couldn't get a pic of the # on my original Shurflo (that make it 28 yrs old). Pretty good as the label says "20 years". I was thinking it would be less expensive to bring a new pump to the RV place for install.
Thanks for your help as always,
Julie
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would check to make sure the pump is getting power and it probably is if it's working some of the time. I would also check for debris in the pump. This required removal and disassembly of the pump. Most likely your pump should be replaced if it is original. Replacing parts on a pump that old is not cost effective. Now here's the catch. If you cant replace the pump yourself, you probably can't do the check yourself, but maybe you can.....It's a fairly simple job. There are lots of Utube videos. If you google RV water pump replacement and watch a video or two you may decide to try. Many shops will not install customer supplied parts. The last place I would take it to would be Camping World. Best of luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It sounds like a possible loose connection....or maybe a stuck valve switch. Study your pump and figure out where the valve is. Tap on the valve and see if it will run. Just some simple things to try before replacing the pump.

Remember though...and this may sound silly... that IF your tank is full of water, it WONT run until you turn on the water. The pressure valve I mention above shuts it off.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The common switch on the cabinet is prone to failure,often it is either coming apart or wiring is coming loose. check there first.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Thanks for your suggestions!
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
My shower pump worked in the Everglades last week. Got home (Wisconsin) and began to winterize, pump did not work - dead! I tapped the pump, wiggled wires, checked the switch. Still dead (and one sore lump on my head from the corner of the protection plate).
Well, as I was trying to be sure there was power at the pump, I tried to disconnect the power source plug that is at the end of the pump. In so doing I pressed down harder on the plug and it fired up!

In warmer weather I shall redo that connection. The wire is stretched quite tightly.

So, here's another action to try for those with a similar problem.

Sironi
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
I'm updating the this pump issue. It seems that the activator assembly is flakey. It only works when I press firmly on the inner connection on the upper assembly. The wire connection is fine. The issue is inside the plastic housing to which the wires connect.
I haven't been able to locate the part itself as an end user. I don't see any salvage yards nearby.
I can get a new replacement from Scamp for $69 plus shipping, which is less than local camper dealer would charge.
I'll post two pictures. The pump with its description plate and the end where the two red wires connect. The connection closest to the pump is flakey.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1465416895.019828.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  16.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1465416936.633820.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  16.6 KB

Sironi
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote