Water question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
I'm hoping to head out in the next couple of weeks and while re-organizing my cupboards realized that the sink drain had broken off from a hose that was attached under the cupboard. I've never used the sink in my trailer but now that I plan on fixing that it got me wondering where the water drains to - looks uphill to outside??
I do have a water tank under one of the dinette seats but believe that would be for clean water?
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Shelley, if you don't have a gray water tank, it most likely just goes to a hose fitting on the outside of the trailer, most likely very near the vicinity of the sink. Most campgrounds require you to have a portable "blue tank" or at the very least a bucket for the gray water to drain into.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Shelley, if you don't have a gray water tank, it most likely just goes to a hose fitting on the outside of the trailer, most likely very near the vicinity of the sink. Most campgrounds require you to have a portable "blue tank" or at the very least a bucket for the gray water to drain into.

Roger

I did find another thread on buckets people were using so will have a closer look at the trailer tonight .
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
my 75 Surfside drains outside. it's a small hose that pops out about inch. I use a bucket under it and always use a biodegradable, non-phosphate soap.

Quote:
I'm hoping to head out in the next couple of weeks and while re-organizing my cupboards realized that the sink drain had broken off from a hose that was attached under the cupboard. I've never used the sink in my trailer but now that I plan on fixing that it got me wondering where the water drains to - looks uphill to outside??
I do have a water tank under one of the dinette seats but believe that would be for clean water?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Has anyone had luck connecting a drain hose, just for gray water from the sink, to the RV park's sewer system? I tried it once after getting what I thought was the right fitting for the sewer system (wasn't), but the hose didn't want to drain. I think the air lock in the sink trap keeps it from draining. That could be fixed with a tee outside the camper with a short vertical section of hose to allow the line to vent, but I wonder if it's worth the trouble. In any case, you end up with this toxic waste sewer connection thing of some sort to deal with, so we've gone back to a bucket or the little blue cart. So, even with that, are there any graceful ways of draining that into the sewer system? Like the previous post, we use only camp soap, so it's pretty tempting to water the surrounding shrubbery if we can....

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Has anyone had luck connecting a drain hose, just for gray water from the sink, to the RV park's sewer system?

are there any graceful ways of draining that into the sewer system?
Have you tried An "Easy Slip Gray Water Drain Adapter"?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
I've got something similar to that adapter but I'm not impressed with how well it works. The hose seems to need to be exactly the right length and that can be hard to manage since I like to park in the best bit of the driveway, not in the bit the most convenient to the drainpipe. I usually just run a hose from the outside fitting to the drain and close the drain lid on it. I have yet to be inundated with smells or worse, and nobody has come by to explain how wrong I am.

When I've had trouble draining it has always been one of two problems:
1. Gravity (the hose being lower than the hump into the drain). I assume it's just because there's almost no pressure from the sink to the drain, what with the small amount of water at any given time. Rearrange the hose, the sink drains again.
2. The hose being attached too tightly to the outside fitting of the trailer. If I loosen it a bit, drainage happens. There's probably some high-falutin' explanation for why, but I know it works.

If I don't have a drain, I just drain the sink into a 6-gallon jerry-type water can, using a 2-foot length of hose. Easy to carry, hard to spill. Very handy.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I did, and the diameter was too large to fit the connection at the ground. Maybe that was just an uncommon hookup, or folks carry a range of adaptors?

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote