Water refill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Unhappy Water refill

We are planning two trips in the next 6 weeks where we will need to use our water supplies alot..especially in VT where none of the st parks have campsite water hookups, only "water stations" and no elec hookups at all. 'Primative' comes to mind..as does "pain in the keester"..but it is what it is, the family reunion is where it IS, and we were fortunate to have been able to secure reservations in a 'premium site' at Button Bay SP CG, a site w a lean-to and also easily big enuf for a tent and the TT.

'Power' is really not a problem, as we went all 'electric' w our new TT this spring:.LED lighting, 120W solar panel setup and a 2200W generator for icing on the cake..Oh yeah it does run the Casita's AC ....I tried it a couple weeks ago right after it came in. Tho in VT we expect cooler nites in August

Anyways..I have been unable to find a place to buy a decent "food grade" flex-spout FUNNEL to use to refill the Cassy's water tank! What do you all use and whereinheck do you FIND such gems?
All the ones I see are described as "great for filling gasoline tanks" and "perfect for all engine fliuds" etc etc..not particularly appealing to us.
WE have plenty of 'capacity' with our 25 gallon TT's water tank plus up to 4, 5-gallon collapsible water carriers in the truck bed, but we want a safe funnel to facilitate transfer of water! Help!! ;-)

BTW 'Cramping World' does not have one!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

Tennessee
Solution

Found a simple solution..

I stopped by our local RV repair shop and the tech gave me a 14" piece of scrap pre-curved plastic cold water line. I heated the end in hot water and then jammed a clean kitchen funnel we already had, in the end and voila..it works fine. no cost
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
this funnel works great

Can't remember where we purchased our funnel with flexible spout. But after trying to fill the fresh water tank in our Casita, I knew there had to be an easier method. Got one of the spare shower curtain hooks from the bathroom, drilled a 1/8" hole in the aluminum belly band and slid the curtain hook thru the hole. Drilled another hole near the top of the funnel and....viola. Now one person can fill the fresh water tank with the blue 5 gallon tank! Takes just seconds to install and remove.

I know this doesn't really answer the OP's question, but thought I would share the idea.

I've reloaded the second pic a couple times and it always comes out sideways. Sorry. That isn't how it is supposed to be. Pic shows vertical on my computer and I tried rotating it, but still shows up sideways. Dang computer is always smarter than me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1385 (2).jpg   IMG_1386.jpg  

jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
If you want a "food grade" item check a restaurant supply store. They have a lot of specialty funnels. Of course they also charge specialty prices.

On the other hand, I use one of the garden variety flex neck funnels from walmart. I think the comment that they are safe for gasoline and all vehicle fluids is just to indicate that those fluids will not dissolve them, not that they are not safe for drinking water. I ran our new funnel through our dishwasher to make sure it was clean and keep it in a 1 gallon ziplock bag between uses to keep it clean.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
For the brief amount of time that the water is in contact with the funnel, I can't imagine it being a problem. Most is used for washing dishes, flushing the toilet and showering anyway.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 PM   #6

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
or.....

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ker-81880.html
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I always find these threads of "food grade" funnels and such to be over the top worries. Can any body here say truthfully that you didn't drink water out of the garden hose many times as a kid....and it hurt you .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Glen and Dave on the "food grade" thing. It's not like I'm going to drink that water anyway. I don't drink water from the trailer's tank, and I don't drink water from campgrounds either.

My solution for holding the funnel is similar to Jon's, except I didn't drill any hole anywhere to hook the funnel, I simply crack open the rear window above the fill hole and hook the funnel to the window's "torque tube".

As for the "bucket sucker", my trailer has a 12V water pump and a winterizing kit that allows the pump to suck water right from an antifreeze jug into the water lines, bypassing the water tank. Add a couple more valves and this could be modified to make the pump draw from an external water jug to refill the tank. This is on my 'to do list' !
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My water funnel is a $1.99 special from the Walmart automotive section
We have been using it for over 8 years and not one illness or death has been attributed to the funnel .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #10

Tennessee
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I always find these threads of "food grade" funnels and such to be over the top worries. Can any body here say truthfully that you didn't drink water out of the garden hose many times as a kid....and it hurt you .

LOL back in my "garden hose" days..[1950s, the garden hoses were made here in America..not cheap communist Chinese junk stuff wh out-gases 12 months.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
LOL back in my "garden hose" days..[1950s, the garden hoses were made here in America..not cheap communist Chinese junk stuff wh out-gases 12 months.

You heard of Flint, Michigan?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There are toxins in the environment, both natural and man-made, democratic and communist. Nothing wrong with doing what you can do avoid them. Seems like a reasonable thing to ask a question about. Most people will never know what exactly gave them cancer, messed with their hormones, sleep, cognitive abilities etc.

Not being a chemical engineer or all-knowing, I just can't say for sure what's safe and what's not. The amount of "contact time" is a very good point, though. I'll drink out of a hose, after running it long enough for the old, hot water to move through.

I didn't realize the "built-in" funnel on my Bigfoot was such a rare thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	121985
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote