Water System - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Water System

Well all new lines, and drain today. Put the hose for the pump faucet into a bottle of water and start pumping. I get almost as much under the sink as in it. This one has a place for city water and for the pump action. I am looking to possibly replace it with a faucet that is capable of hot and cold for future upgrades. Or just put in a 3 way faucet and put in a small 12v pump.

The question is, how is your water system set up, and what kind of pump are you using?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I used a 12 volt electric on demand pump plumbed into a single handle goose neck faucet. Since the city water inlet has a one way valve and the pump also has a one way valve, you can just T them all together. I wired a switch so I can shut the pump off while traveling, etc. I also plumbed in a piece of capped 3" PVC pipe to act as a pressure tank to keep the pump from short cycling. I also made an aluminum cover plate to hide the old hand pump's larger foot print.

Pump:
Flojet 03526 144A Triplex Diaphragm 3526 Series Automatic Water System Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive

Faucet similar to this:
LightInTheBox Single Handle Centerset Bar Sink Faucet with Gooseneck Swivel Spout, Chrome - Amazon.com
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I used a 12 volt electric on demand pump plumbed into a single handle goose neck faucet. Since the city water inlet has a one way valve and the pump also has a one way valve, you can just T them all together. I wired a switch so I can shut the pump off while traveling, etc. I also plumbed in a piece of capped 3" PVC pipe to act as a pressure tank to keep the pump from short cycling. I also made an aluminum cover plate to hide the old hand pump's larger foot print.

Pump:
Flojet 03526 144A Triplex Diaphragm 3526 Series Automatic Water System Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive

Faucet similar to this:
LightInTheBox Single Handle Centerset Bar Sink Faucet with Gooseneck Swivel Spout, Chrome - Amazon.com
+1 as to what Tom said.
I have a new original type faucet on the sink and a 2 knob one in the bath of the VT. Works with either city or a 7 gallon water tote. I don't have a "pressure tank" but have no surge issues which could be due to the setting on the pump pressure switch. The previous owner wired it with 2 switches at each location to make a 3 way switch action for the 12V side so that you could get water to both locations when not on city water..

Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our whole water system went in the garbage. We want to keep our trailer simple and light weight. We've been out almost three months now and haven't missed it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
When we bought our trailer the previous owner had removed the hot water system to get extra storage. We like hot water so we re-installed it adding an electric option as well.

We spend more time in our trailer than our home and like convenient water. We always keep our water tank 1/2 to 3/4s full.

We added a lot more storage and improved the convenience of the existing storage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
When Floyd rebuilt the Burro I bought from him, he put in a 12v pump from Grainger's. That thing was soooo quiet, I loved it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm redoing all of mine, also. I haven't decided what I'm using for hose yet, might go with pex.

My system will be: 2-20 gallon fresh water tanks - strainer - pump - accumulator - whole house water filter - split to cold water side and water heater.

The city water connection will T in between the accumulator and water filter.

After that, I will have hot/cold running to the sink, shower, outside hose/shower hookup, and cold to the toilet.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm redoing all of mine, also. I haven't decided what I'm using for hose yet, might go with pex.

My system will be: 2-20 gallon fresh water tanks - strainer - pump - accumulator - whole house water filter - split to cold water side and water heater.

The city water connection will T in between the accumulator and water filter.

After that, I will have hot/cold running to the sink, shower, outside hose/shower hookup, and cold to the toilet.
Pex is easy and will take a freeze if you don't get all the water blown out
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
The guy at the Three Way RV in Marietta recommended Pex as well. If I upgrade to a water heater in the system I will go the Pex then.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Pex is easy and will take a freeze if you don't get all the water blown out
Michael J
I like Pex too, but it does burst if you have a hard freeze and still have water in the lines. We dumped all the water and water lines a couple of years ago in our Airstream, but didn't do a good job of blowing everything out. We had one leak under the sink and one in the shower. We're much ore diligent now. That was in Carson City, NV area where it gets below 0-F, but not much colder than that. So you still need to due a good winterizing if you live in freeze zones.

Can anyone recommend a pump and heater that is simple to install and use in my 13' Scamp. I just have the standard tank for a '77 and that is enough water for me, but I'd love to have hot water for showering and washing. Helllllp!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Does anyone have experience with the Girard Tankless system. It looks interesting, compact, lightweight, and efficient.
Girard Tankless LP Propane RV Water Heater - $439.98
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote